Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

OK, Dads... it is Thursday again (they just seem to be coming faster and faster any more).

1) Which, if any, Christmas specials/movies are a must watch every holiday season?

2a) For those with kids who are already born, how into the season are they? 

2b) For all dads, how into the holiday season do you hope they'll be? Not just the gift getting, but the whole spirit of the season, the decorations, etc.

3-5 are up to you guys.

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) Which, if any, Christmas specials/movies are a must watch every holiday season?

I pretty much love the classic specials... Frosty, Rudolph, Charlie Brown,  Grinch, Santa Claus is Coming to Town.  Some of the newer specials are OK, but nothing beats the classics.  As far as movies go... the Santa Clause movies, for some reason A Muppet Christmas Carol and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

2a) For those with kids who are already born, how into the season are they? 

Being mine is almost 2 (less than a week away), he's getting quite into the season... loves the tree, thinks the presents are big blocks and he stacks them, restacks them, and then stacks them again.  He's been watching the specials with us as a family... so all in all, he's pretty into Christmas.

2b) For all dads, how into the holiday season do you hope they'll be? Not just the gift getting, but the whole spirit of the season, the decorations, etc.

I hope he maintains the interest... I hope he doesn't get merely materialistic, but enjoys the spirit of the holidays and will enjoy giving too.  I plan on when he's bigger, he'll go to a store and pick out a toy for Toys for Tots specifically so he can give to those less fortunate.

3)  I've said this before... but my son is about to turn 2 and it is blowing my mind.  Dads, those who haven't found out yet.... TIME FLIES.  One day you are holding a newborn, and it seems you blink and they are running around the house, talking and having opinions.  Enjoy your time with them, it goes by so fast.  Phases of early childhood zip by so quickly it is hard to savor them until they are gone.

4) My company, one of the world's largest and most identifiable brands, has gotten incredibly stingy on us since I hired in 7 years ago.  It used to be we would get a HUGE turkey, case of pop for Thanksgiving, get another case for Christmas along with a party.  Then the turkeys went away and we got a gift card instead for Thanksgiving.  Then, the Christmas party went away and we got another gift card.  Then, last year, we went down to 1 gift card.  Now, unless something pops up out of no where... we are down to NOTHING.  Not even a free case of pop.  I get it, economy sucks, but man, it dwindled fast and hard.  Meanwhile, the big wig bosses get to sit in a suite and watch Colts games and get perks like that.  Go figure.

5) I've been struggling with my patience earlier this week, but having yesterday and so far today with my son has been a nice reset and I feel much more patient.  I was getting a bit grinchy, and that isn't much like me at all.  I think it was the pressures of work, getting the house ready for my son's party (and paying for the party) and everything was just getting to me.  I'm feeling much better now.

• 1) Which, if any, Christmas specials/movies are a must watch every holiday season?

I like most of the tv classics.  Unfortunately I missed most of them because they played right after Thanksgiving this year.  I just hadn't made the transition to Christmas yet.  Outside of that, Elf, Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation are on my must sees.  We are actually going to the musical version of Elf tomorrow at the theater.

I hope they will be very into it all.  I've gotten a little out of the spirit since we moved out here. It's hard for me to get excited about doing all the decorating when we aren't going to be here for the holidays.  Almost like wasted effort.

3) We have started receiving gifts for the baby.  We now have 2 onesies hanging in the closet.  I think it has made my wife start to feel like we aren't ready.  She started into me about how the house isn't ready and it's a complete mess.  She's not due until May but I think I just got a bunch of stuff added to my to-do list before we leave town for the holidays.

4) We get to find out the sex in 1 week (assuming the baby cooperates).  All of our family thinks the appointment is in January so we will be surprising them with a reveal on Christmas.  I'm hoping it all comes together and that we won't slip up and reveal it in the days leading up to Christmas.

5) I'm getting really excited for baseball already.  The Reds made a trade for Shin-Soo Choo and he should solve the problems at the top of the lineup.  The last couple years have been weird as a Reds fan.  I'm so used to looking down the road to when we could be good.

• Loading the player...
  • imagepolooo26:

5) Many of you guys may not know but I'm an actuary and I just got my FSA last week. That's why I was gone all week too. My 6.5 years of studying has just came to a close. Pretty happy time.

Congrats!  I know a couple actuaries and do not envy the testing they have done.

• 1) I love the Classics such as Miracle on 34th Street and older movies.  I really don't like the remakes of the old classics.

2a) Not much, he is only 18 months old.

2b) Hopefully just as much as MW and I are into it.  We keep it simple with just a tree.  Both of our families do limited gifts and gift draws for extended family.

3) We are doing our 2nd no credit card or debt Christmas.

4) We both like the old cartoon specials.

5) My favorite Christmas Carol is Hark the Harold Angels Sing

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 1) Which, if any, Christmas specials/movies are a must watch every holiday season?I love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  It was a tradition in my family, and I loved being able to introduce it to my wife a few years ago. 2) For all dads, how into the holiday season do you hope they'll be? Not just the gift getting, but the whole spirit of the season, the decorations, etc.I hope my kid is into the holidays.  We're obviously raising her Jewish, but she'll experience Christmas with my family, so we had a discussion recently about how we're going to deal with the Santa issue, since she'll have cousins that celebrate Christmas only and believe in Santa.  (We came up with, "Your cousins believe in Santa Claus, but we don't celebrate Christmas so he doesn't visit us."  I'll probably try to find a way to refine that).  3) The March of Dimes just started airing a commercial here saying (paraphrased) "Your baby's not healthy until 39 weeks, so don't induce before then for convenience."  It started airing right about when our kid started pressing on my wife's lungs and her bladder at the same time.  She hates this commercial.  (She would never get a convenience induction, but she hates being scolded by the March of Dimes while she can't breathe).4) The Panthers have finally started playing well.  Wish they could've done this back when it would've counted for something.5) The Braves recently signed BJ Upton, and I'm pretty excited for him to join the team.  If they can get a left fielder, I'll be a happy man.
  • 1. Its AWonderful Life

2.Very into it here'sanexample

Kyle's letter to Santa- (he's 4) it cracked me up and had to share. Dear Santa, Don't find the presents already under the Christmas tree. I have been a good boy. I would like Super Mario Galaxy 2, my sister Macey to be good, a camera, a big tall train, Mario stickers for my wall, a rocket- the kind that really launches like a firework. New pants and underwear- soft pants. NOT jeans. A Thomas Play phone, a little table with chairs for my room, a gigantic snake to scare my sisters with. Thank you for coming to my house. hope you like my cookies. From Kyle. ?

3.I love Oh Holy Night played on the piano by my wife.

4. Looking forward to having all of my nieces and nephews over

5.  Early Chrismas gift-Peyton Manning to the Broncos.

• imagepolooo26:
    imageWillicus:
    2) For all dads, how into the holiday season do you hope they'll be? Not just the gift getting, but the whole spirit of the season, the decorations, etc. I hope my kid is into the holidays.  We're obviously raising her Jewish, but she'll experience Christmas with my family, so we had a discussion recently about how we're going to deal with the Santa issue, since she'll have cousins that celebrate Christmas only and believe in Santa.  (We came up with, "Your cousins believe in Santa Claus, but we don't celebrate Christmas so he doesn't visit us."  I'll probably try to find a way to refine that).  

I could see some resentment of being Jewish happening if you tell her Santa isn't going to come visit but then he visits all her cousins. I'm sure your refinement will solve that problem but that's how I would take it as a kid.

Yeah, that's my current concern.  I don't want to just say "Santa's not real.  Don't tell your cousins," because then she'd probably spill the beans.

Of course, if my brothers wait a long time to have kids, the problem might sort itself out. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"