October 2012 Moms
Options

Flying alone with LO advice needed

Mobile: Flying alone with LO advice needed

I am taking a quick 1 hr flight to visit my family over the holidays. Ill be alone with LO so Id like some prep/advice/tips from you ladies that have already flown with your LO. Trying to be as prepared as possible! Wink My main concern is how to transport the base/car seat and what would help to have on hand for the flight.  I dont think ill be taking the stroller. Ill be sure to take my Moby or Baby Bjorn to wear her in the airport...

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker C:UsersHomePicturesz.jpg

Re: Flying alone with LO advice needed

• Options
    I am flying alone with DS tomorrow. I am bringing my stroller and car seat. You should be able to take them right to the plane gate and they will load them for you and then have them waiting right outside the plane doors when you land.

I am not bringing the base of the cat seat though.

Just make sure you have enough diapers, wipes and a change of clothes.

I have heard if helps LO's ears to nurse them at take off and landing. I am planning to give him a pacifier on the way up and nurse him on the way down because we have an hour drive when we land.

GL!!! :
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you for the advice!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For a one-hour flight it shouldn't be all that difficult! I second nursing or a pacifier for take-off/landing; it'll help LO's ears with the popping. I'd also make sure that you not only have backup outfits for LO, but one for you as well. I made the mistake of overfeeding LO in an attempt to keep her quiet when traveling with an infant and she threw up over both of us. A lot. As far as the car seat, you should be able to check that for free when you check in, though I'm not sure about the base. If you do take a stroller, you can gate check it for free. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't ever take the base. We prefer to fly SW and we always would carry our car seat to gate check it. If the flight wasn't full, we'd take the car seat on the plane. If it was full we'd just gate check everything. I like to put our stroller and car seat in a storage bag search red car seat bag on amazon. I prefer to wear my baby through the airport and use the stroller to haul all of our crap.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have to take the base because my sister doesnt have one. Unless there is another option I dont know about? (for the car ride)
  • Options
    flying with a newborn is the easiest time to fly with them! I flew with my DD when she was just 2 weeks old and then have every 6 weeks since then. I just fed her at take off and landing and try to keep a blanket over my shoulder to cover her face to protect her from lookey lou's and their germs :) Keep handsanitzer within arms reach lol The noise and plane movement will most likely help her sleep. Pack an extra outfit (or 2), even an extra shirt for you...since you NEVER know what may happen. Going through security don't feel frazzled, I know it may be stressful but take your time. My most important advice: We don't fly to make friends :) Do everything you can to keep your baby happy but if they are truly upset and screaming, the people around you will probably get irritated-but so be it.
  • Options

imageelfchique:
    We didn't ever take the base. We prefer to fly SW and we always would carry our car seat to gate check it. If the flight wasn't full, we'd take the car seat on the plane. If it was full we'd just gate check everything. I like to put our stroller and car seat in a storage bag search red car seat bag on amazon. I prefer to wear my baby through the airport and use the stroller to haul all of our crap.

THis - and I like to wear ds in the seat most the time makes it easier  to get things and hold him.  You don't have to have a base to install the carseat you can buckle it straight in the car.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageWally3:

imageelfchique:

THis - and I like to wear ds in the seat most the time makes it easier  to get things and hold him.  You don't have to have a base to install the carseat you can buckle it straight in the car.

Ok I feel like an idiot. I didnt know that : /

• Options
    imageMrsT1981:
    imageWally3:

imageelfchique:
    We didn't ever take the base. We prefer to fly SW and we always would carry our car seat to gate check it. If the flight wasn't full, we'd take the car seat on the plane. If it was full we'd just gadte check everything. I like to put our stroller and car seat in a storage bag search red car seat bag on amazon. I prefer to wear my baby through the airport and use the stroller to haul all of our crap.

Ok I feel like an idiot. I didnt know that : /

Don't feel like an idiot! Take you car seat manual if you have never done it before! It isn't as easy as clicking into a base, but you will get the hang of it after a few times!!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsT1981:
    I have to take the base because my sister doesnt have one. Unless there is another option I dont know about? for the car ride

Yeah, no you don't. The base is for convenience. Not safety.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We're flying for Christmas too, and I bought this ebook that was hugely helpful and reassuring.  It's only $2.99, and also sorta funny and entertaining.  Worth doing if you're nervous and want something to make you feel super prepared.  I feel like a frickin expert now.  :)

https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Baby-Essential-Domestically-ebook/dp/B009Z5UAS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355351697&sr=8-1&keywords=flying+with+baby

Sorry no link - do they just no work on a Mac period?  Lame.  Good luck! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.girlofcardigan.com
  • Options

imageMrsT1981:
    I have to take the base because my sister doesnt have one. Unless there is another option I dont know about? (for the car ride)

I don't know what kind of car seat you have, but most don't have to be used with the base. The base makes it convenient, but if you don't have one, you can use a seat belt to strap in the car seat. This is what I do when I have DD2 in a vehicle other than mine. We didn't buy any additional bases this time.

imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We flew when DD was 5 weeks, I say take what you need, we brought stroller and no car seat, but my mom had one already. I brought enough diapers for the plane ride but bought more when we got where we were going, and anything extra that was too bulky too pack. Also since we were there for over a week, I ended up buying a swing at a local consignment store, to put her in, and then sold it back after our trip, it worked out nicely. 

And like PP said its okay if LO cries, do not stress you paid for your seat too, and the flight is only an hour.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"