August 2012 Moms
Options

Water to dilute urine - Anyone heard of this?

MIL watches DD 4 days a week while I work.  Lately DD has been a little red in her diaper area.  MIL said I should ask the pediatrician if I can start giving her water after a bottle to dilute her urine because it's so strong its burning her and thats why shes red.  Anyone hear of this???  I thought no water for babies?  Could just be old school thinking...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Water to dilute urine - Anyone heard of this?

• Options
    Hm, never heard of this. S's poop is really acidic and gives him diaper rash. When I brought it up to his pediatrician and other doctors at work, they all just told me to wash the area with a washcloth and soap and water instead of using wipes at diaper changes...cleared it right up!
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options

Sounds "old school" to me.  If your LO is still having plenty of wet diapers, then she is not dehydrated.  Even if she was "old enough" for water, it wouldn't be for a significant enough amount to relieve dehydration.  It would only be like an ounce or two a day.  Now if her urine looks dark or has a fowl odor, that could be signs of a UTI.  

If not, then air out the diaper area a few times a day.  Use a wet washcloth instead of baby wipes.  Also, she could be sensitive to the chemicals in her diaper itself.  GL!

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - I was definitely not planning on giving LO water at all, regardless of what MIL said. We use cloth so it's not the diaper chemicals... It's mostly after she STTN so I really just think its from being wet for so long while sleeping, it usually pretty much goes away during the day. I'm constantly getting tired of "old school" ways of doing things and older women, not just MIL insisting that their way was right regardless of any new research. "Things change all the time, we did X and it was just fine for our babies" Yeah - but things change because of ADVANCES being made - they're not always crazy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagebabyike:
    Sounds "old school" to me. nbsp;If your LO is still having plenty of wet diapers, then she is not dehydrated. nbsp;Even if she was "old enough" for water, it wouldn't be for a significant enough amount to relieve dehydration. nbsp;It would only be like an ounce or two a day. nbsp;Now if her urine looks dark or has a fowl odor, that could be signs of a UTI. nbsp;If not, then air out the diaper area a few times a day. nbsp;Use a wet washcloth instead of baby wipes. nbsp;Also, she could be sensitive to the chemicals in her diaper itself. nbsp;GL!

All of this.

Howell does like when I dip the back of my spoon in ice water and give it to him or when I give him a freshly washed binky. The spoon is to get it cold for teething though and he only gets drips.

One thing I do is I blot him dry with a prefold diaper and I rub a little cornstarch on his bum before bed.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    My friend had to stop using cloth diapers at night because her DD was experiencing something similar. Using disposable at night cleared it up.
    995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebabyike:

Sounds "old school" to me.  If your LO is still having plenty of wet diapers, then she is not dehydrated.  Even if she was "old enough" for water, it wouldn't be for a significant enough amount to relieve dehydration.  It would only be like an ounce or two a day.  Now if her urine looks dark or has a fowl odor, that could be signs of a UTI.  

If not, then air out the diaper area a few times a day.  Use a wet washcloth instead of baby wipes.  Also, she could be sensitive to the chemicals in her diaper itself.  GL!

Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"