Multiples

Twin confessions

As MOMs, I'm sure a lot of us take shortcuts (aka survival tactics).

One of my many that I'm not proud of: I confess that I've shared bottles back and forth between the twins. For instance, if one twin finishes a bottle and is still hungry but the other is done and hasn't finished the bottle, I pass it over. Part of it is the convenience and the other part is I don't want any wasted breast milk. I figure they will catch each other's colds anyway but it probably isn't the smartest idea..

So ladies, do you have any confessions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Twin confessions

• Pft! Our babies shared bottles all the time! :] My confession is, when we would take the babies out and about during the early months, we'd constantly get comments about how we had our hands full, must be so hard, a lot of work, etc. Well, I'd always say it wasn't that hard, sometimes easy in fact. I never let strangers think it was difficult for us. Never. Even though during the first few months, it was so crazy hard, I've blocked most of it out of my memory. I don't know why I did it, it's not like I'd see these people again.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I let ours shate bottles too.  But my real confession is that I let them watch TV. Its Disney Junior and other Disney movies (Toy Story is a fav) but they love it and it allows me a little time to do what I want or need to do. Bad mom award here.
    DSC_0011MOD
    Married since June 2010
    TTC #1 since 04/2011
    3 abnormal PAPs and 2 colpo/biopsy since 09/2009
    LEEP 05/2011
    ASCUS PAP 08/2011 which means no PAP for 6 months!! YAY!!
    BFP 11/6/11!! EDD: 7/15/12
    1st u/s 11/21/11: TWINS!
    16 wks 1/30/12: BOY and GIRL!
    Schedualed c-section for 7/2/12 38wks 1day
    Went into labor 6/25/12 37wks 1day. Delivered two healthy babies
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehenglish85:

imagemyheromyworld89:
    I let ours shate bottles too.  But my real confession is that I let them watch TV. Its Disney Junior and other Disney movies (Toy Story is a fav) but they love it and it allows me a little time to do what I want or need to do. Bad mom award here.

I need to share that Bad mom award with you because the only way I've made it through this semester of nursing school is by letting my girls watch Sesame Street. Eeks! I must really suck :)

One of our twins seems to love watching football (yes he's only 4 months old), so we just go with it. It makes him happy hanging out with DH, and DH makes sure to narrate the plays so technically it's interactive. Ha. I go grocery shopping with one twin and the other stays home watching football, so Sunday afternoons work out really well for us right now.

Our guys share pacifiers, burp cloths, etc.  I wouldn't think twice about them sharing a bottle!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My kid share everything!  I tried to keep their nuks separate in the beginning, but now it doesn't matter..... :)  I also feed them with the same spoons (I will duck and cover now) :)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Are we supposed to feel guilty about sharing bottles? lol. I sure don't! Mine also share pacifiers, so they're totally brothers in germiness.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
    My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog
  • imagezombiemommy:
    Are we supposed to feel guilty about sharing bottles? lol. I sure don't! Mine also share pacifiers, so they're totally brothers in germiness.

Not sure - my doctor wasn't happy w/ the practice but I don't care. 

• My girls share everything. Whatevs! It'll strengthen their immune systems. Hmm.. what else. I have let them watch TV. Their sleep is all over the place, now that we're vacationing in Europe, so there are no rules at bedtime - I just do whatever gets them to sleep (DH is still back home). Don't we just have to do what we can to survive, anyway? I can't imagine any MoM's doing everything by the book, it's too chaotic!
  • imagegrowbeangrow:

imagezombiemommy:
    Are we supposed to feel guilty about sharing bottles? lol. I sure don't! Mine also share pacifiers, so they're totally brothers in germiness.

Your doc clearly doesn't have twins. lol. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
    My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog
  • I just have to say I appreciate you ladies posting these things. As Im nearing the end I'm beginning to panic about certain things and this just reassures me that they will live even if I'm not perfect. I'm sure you are all amazing moms!
    First U/S 06/27/12 TWINS!!
  • imageemilyec1:
    imagehenglish85:

imagemyheromyworld89:
    I let ours shate bottles too.  But my real confession is that I let them watch TV. Its Disney Junior and other Disney movies (Toy Story is a fav) but they love it and it allows me a little time to do what I want or need to do. Bad mom award here.

I need to share that Bad mom award with you because the only way I've made it through this semester of nursing school is by letting my girls watch Sesame Street. Eeks! I must really suck :)

One of our twins seems to love watching football (yes he's only 4 months old), so we just go with it. It makes him happy hanging out with DH, and DH makes sure to narrate the plays so technically it's interactive. Ha. I go grocery shopping with one twin and the other stays home watching football, so Sunday afternoons work out really well for us right now.

Our guys share pacifiers, burp cloths, etc.  I wouldn't think twice about them sharing a bottle!

That is the cutest thing! I can so see DH doing that w/ our boys lol!

• I don't see how sharing a bottle is any different than sharing a boob if you're nursing. 
    Jayme
    Boy 16, Boy 15, Boy 13, Girl 10, Girl 8 & Twin Boys 3, and Bacon!
    Twin A is in REMISSION!
    23 week loss, 24 week loss, 3 early miscarriages & a 25 weeker who lived only 9 weeks.
  • I totally let them share pacis, bottles and spoons. I also leave them in their room together unsupervised to play and explore / get in mischief.
  • imageTaterTwins:
    I don't see how sharing a bottle is any different than sharing a boob if you're nursing. 

I was thinking this.  I was talking to a twin mom at the doctors office.  I asked her how important was it for them to not share things.  She said and I quote " yea that goes out the window when they are able to pass stuff to each other."  So I don't feel so bad anymore when I forget who's is whats..

My twins haven't been here long enough for me to have a confession.. :S.  Give me another week! lol. 

• My confession is that my husband does breakfast duty on Saturday mornings with the girls so I can sleep...until 9 or 9:30 ;)
  • imagezombiemommy:

Guilty here of all of this. Also often times, when I'm giving them baths in the baby bath tub, I won't change out the water before bathing the second baby unless the first bather has an accident in the tub.
    D & R were born at 37w5d.

• imageMrs.Greg:
    Pft! Our babies shared bottles all the time! :] My confession is, when we would take the babies out and about during the early months, we'd constantly get comments about how we had our hands full, must be so hard, a lot of work, etc. Well, I'd always say it wasn't that hard, sometimes easy in fact. I never let strangers think it was difficult for us. Never. Even though during the first few months, it was so crazy hard, I've blocked most of it out of my memory. I don't know why I did it, it's not like I'd see these people again.

Ditto on your confession! I think it is just because people can be so know.it.all about it that you want to prove them wrong and leave them speechless since they probably offered their advice unsolicited anyways!
    My confessions:
    Along the lines of sharing, if I put a spoonful of food in one kids mouth and they only take part of it, I just give it to the other one as we alternate bites.
    If they're both screaming I don't kill myself trying to take care of them both at the same time. I take care of one and then move on to the other. It can be hard but its saved my sanity, and my back!
    I shamelessly ask for diapers, formula and clothes for them any time anyone asks, and I can get away with it because of the stigma associated with twins being so much more work and cost. Might as well milk it /appreciatively of course!/ while I can.
    I know there are more but these are the ones that came to mind. :

Eta: Alternate punctuation for the stuff that mobile bumping removed.
    There's two to wash, Two to dry, Two who argue, And two who cry.
    There's two to kiss, Two to hug, And best of all, Two to Love! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lovies1yrold
  • My boys shared bottles and spoons. It always made me smile when their pedi would wash her hands from going from one of my boys to his twin ... so she probably wouldn't have approved of the practice either, but I didn't tell her. ;) They were definitely sharing germs anyway!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • The sprout channel is now on all day and they watch it quite a bit. They also do not eat or nap on a schedule. We just go with the flow around here.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegrowbeangrow:

imagezombiemommy:

i dont steralize my breasts between feedings, so they share bottles, and pacis, and toys that go right in their mouths! 

Picture3-3.jpg

Our Twin Baby + a Big Girl Blog

And with the delivery trifecra of one twin vaginal, one c-section with general anesthesia for twin B, Spencer and Sidney joined us at 35 weeks exactly on June 18.

• I'm going to echo everyone on bottle sharing. I also let one scream while I change/diaper/tend to the other. It's honestly easier to get one under control then the other, rather than fumbling to soothe both at the same time. I don't always change their'clothes if they've spit up, just wipe it up. Jace peed a tiny bit on his pjs last week in the MOTN, and I left them on him until morning.

• I never change the bath water in between =/ I sometimes add hot water if it cooled down but don't with pee (theirs or brothers). Made me laugh when all the singletons on my bmb change the water after pee, and to rinse off... Yeah, mine come out soapy I guess lol.

I only change clothes if it is a big wet spot and/or before a nap.

• imageAmyJoy728:

I never change the bath water in between =/ I sometimes add hot water if it cooled down but don't with pee (theirs or brothers). Made me laugh when all the singletons on my bmb change the water after pee, and to rinse off... Yeah, mine come out soapy I guess lol.

I only change clothes if it is a big wet spot and/or before a nap.

yup! none of these sound like bad things at all! maybe because I do most of them. I feed with the same spoon, scrape a chin with the spoon and keep going. Which means sometimes one may get what was on the other's chin. They steal each others paci and drool on each other-there would be no way to keep the germs separated unless I put them both behind glass. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh, I have a ton:

•  The boys share pacifiers, eat off of the same spoon, and ate from the same bowl/jar of baby food.
    • I let them watch Little Einsteins.  They LOVE it.
    • I leave them to play in the family room for up to 15 minutes unsupervised (it's gated off and super baby-proofed).
    • My husband let the boys try eggnog tonight after dinner.
    • We used pacifiers from day 1 because they were so fussy.  I still nursed them for 14 months.  Nipple confusion my a**.
    • I'm pretty sure my boys are emotionally attached to pacifiers at this point.  Oops.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I do the bottle thing too and feed them cereal/baby food with the same spoon out of the same bowl.  I just make one big bowl and give a spoonful to one and then the other.  The share all their illnesses anyway.  :)
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"