May 2013 Moms

Bras? Nursing or regular?

Hi ladies,

I am at the point where I have to buy new bras.  Somebody suggested to me to just get nursing bras instead of buying regular bras and then having to get nursing bras.  Did any of you do that, or did you just buy bigger sizes in your regular bras?  If you did get nursing bras...from where?  I was looking at the ones on Gap body and they looked super comfy.

Re: Bras? Nursing or regular?

• I just bought bigger regular bras.  I imagine my boobs are going to keep getting bigger, and it would be a waste of $$ to buy nursing bras now.
  • imagebotanicalbliss:
    I just bought bigger regular bras.  I imagine my boobs are going to keep getting bigger, and it would be a waste of $$ to buy nursing bras now.

This. Mine grew two additional sizes when my milk came in. Nothing I bought would have fit.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree that you should get regular bras.  I actually just bought two new ones last week because my old bras were getting tight and annoying.  You won't know your nursing bra size (other than a good guess) until after your milk comes in and has been there a week or so.  Mine got HUGE with DS1 when my milk came in and there were engorged and then they went back to the size they stayed while I was nursing him.

In the very early days I like to wear nursing tanks without a bra.  They are more comfortable, easier access, and stretch more than the bras I think. Then when I get to a point where I am up and around and going out I like nursing bras and don't really like the tanks except to sleep in. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Last go around I just bought larger regular bras.  Your boobs will get insanely bigger once your milk comes in after delivery so you will probably need to buy even larger nursing bras then.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks ladies!
  • imagebotanicalbliss:
    I just bought bigger regular bras.  I imagine my boobs are going to keep getting bigger, and it would be a waste of $$ to buy nursing bras now.

Agreed. I just went and bought a cheap bra with no padding to get me until I either need the nursing bra or see how much bigger I get.  

• I just had an bra crisis this weekend.  All I wanted was a bra that A) comes in a size larger than a 40DD, B) puts your boobs at their correct location, C) is somewhat comfortable and D) doesn't look like it was built by a structural engineer.

After four hours of shopping, I gave up.  I've decided to buy one or two regular bras from Lane Bryant that will hopefully take me to the end and then figure out the nursing bra situation.

My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you plan on breastfeeding for a while, you might end up needing two sizes of nursing bras anyways. I bought one size up at about 20 weeks and then another size up towards the end of pregnancy. I was able to wear the biggest size for the first several months, then my boobs relaxed a little/I lost more of the baby weight and needed to go back down to the smaller size.

Baby Boy #1: 7.7.11

Baby Boy #2: 5.6.13

Baby Boy #3: edd 4.25.15

• Motherhood Maternity sells bra extenders.  If your breasts can still fit in the cups, you can use the extender to help make the rib cage a little less constricted.
  • imagekmb6881:
    If you plan on breastfeeding for a while, you might end up needing two sizes of nursing bras anyways. I bought one size up at about 20 weeks and then another size up towards the end of pregnancy. I was able to wear the biggest size for the first several months, then my boobs relaxed a little/I lost more of the baby weight and needed to go back down to the smaller size.

This is the reason I went ahead and bought nursing bras for now. I know I may have to buy larger when milk comes in but figured I could use these current ones when I start to wean/lose weight so I could get more use out of them. I'm pretty confident I won't be able to use larger regular bras once I'm done b/fing and can't justify the added expense. I got mine at Target. Pretty reasonable I thought.  

Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I would definitely just go for a cheaper regular bra this early in the pregnancy. Chances are you will change. Nursing bras are never comfy IMO. 
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my last pregnancy, I bought a maternity bra.  It has thicker straps, which helps with the extra weight (not that my boobs are huge, but it still makes a difference!).  Luckily, they still fit this time around, so I think I'll be ok until the end. 

I also agree with PP about the nursing tanks.  I pretty much lived in those puppies for the first few weeks, and I plan on doing the same again.  I only had 2 nursing bras, and at least a 1/2 dozen nursing tanks.  They're great for sleeping in, and to wear under sweaters.  Target has cute ones that are reasonably priced.

• imageohana521:
    Thanks ladies!

Yes thank you! And thanks for asking this question :) 

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • imageohana521:

Hi ladies,

I am at the point where I have to buy new bras.  Somebody suggested to me to just get nursing bras instead of buying regular bras and then having to get nursing bras.  Did any of you do that, or did you just buy bigger sizes in your regular bras?  If you did get nursing bras...from where?  I was looking at the ones on Gap body and they looked super comfy.

Thanks for asking! I've been going through the same dilemma! And thanks everyone for the answers 

IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I didn't buy nursing bras..but I did buy maternity bras. The reason being that the underwire and material were irritating me with regular bras. I bought a really soft, stretchy, supportive maternity bra that seems like it will fit me for a while. I love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"