Special Needs
Options

Reality Bites-Therapist means well

My daughter will be one at the end of December and she is amazing and has come so far through therapy,etc.  I never had any doubt that she would do everything in her own time.  We are still working on sitting, rolling from back to front, etc.   

Yesterday, her PT said something that made me a little sad.  She said, "I have high hope for her.  There are some children that you know may not be able to do something and I wouldn't say this to you if I didn't believe it."  On the surface, it was a nice thing to say and I know she didn't mean anything negative by it.  But, the thing is, I never thought there was a possibility that she wouldn't do things, just in her own time.  Having hope and knowing it will happen are two different things entirely.

I know it's probably silly, but it made me sad when I thought about it.  It happens probably once a week when someone says something trying to be nice, and it's like a punch in the gut.  Does it ever get better?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Reality Bites-Therapist means well

• Options

I'm hoping that with time comes acceptance and a new normal.  It's what my husband and I are working to find now.  We are adjusting our image of what M's future will look like, and by extension, ours, and are making new plans that will help us all live life to its fullest--plans we can all be excited about.  

Still, it's very hard and still hurts immensely at times, but we are starting to accept it and hopefully, with time, it will just be our very happy and joyful life, and we won't be thinking of it as our adjusted-expectation version of life.

• Options
    imageCaptainSerious:

I'm hoping that with time comes acceptance and a new normal.  It's what my husband and I are working to find now.  We are adjusting our image of what M's future will look like, and by extension, ours, and are making new plans that will help us all live life to its fullest--plans we can all be excited about.  

Still, it's very hard and still hurts immensely at times, but we are starting to accept it and hopefully, with time, it will just be our very happy and joyful life, and we won't be thinking of it as our adjusted-expectation version of life.

This 100%. We are finally getting to a point where we don't contantly think about what is going on because it is just what it is. It don't think it ever get easy but it gets easier to handle.

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am late to post, but I have had this happen twice.  My daughter has food/bottle refusal issues, and while working with her SLP (Feeding therapist), I asked if kids can have feeding tubes for their whole lives.  She said, yes they can.  My daughter doesn't have a feeding tube, but just her saying it was like, whoa- I wanted a little different answer than one so straight forward and honest.  Lie to me- please.  Haha.  The second time, we were talking to the ENT, and I asked if her refusal could be related to anything that he could help with.  He didn't think so, and then said, "it's great that we live in these times.  100 years ago, kids would just die from these issues".  Okay, I get that I should appreciate out tech-advancedness, but did you really just imply that my DD would not have made it 100 years ago???  WTF????????  And, she DID vastly improve with tubes!  He is the most valued ENT around, so I let this slide, but I wish that I could dump him like a bad habit!

I have had several months to try to let that go, but as you can tell, it is hard.  Sometimes people don't think first (myself included) and in their heads, it seems good, but we take it a little different, since we are living it daily.

Good luck with all!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"