Parenting
Options

Greetings! Need help with baby sleeping...

Just out of curiosity, when did your child sleep through the night?  And by STTN, I mean 5 hours   (or more?)

Is there anything you did to help them sleep better?  My little one is pretty good, she sleeps 3-4 hour stretches, but she's only a week old and anything I can do to help her sleep as well as she can...

Thanks for your input...I appreciate it. 

Re: Greetings! Need help with baby sleeping...

• Options

Newborns have short sleep cycles, sounds like she's sleeping exactly like she should be. I only had one that STTN early, ds did at 6 weeks. None of the girls did, not before 4 months, and compared to others, they were good sleepers.

At this age the only thing you can do is feed when she's hungry, change her diaper, and lots of cuddles. It's unlikely you'll get her to sleep more than 3-4 hours for a while, newborns metabolize faster than we do and need more frequent feeds. The cliche about sleeping while baby sleeps is actually a good idea, you need rest too, having this kind of interrupted sleep.

• Options
    3-4 hour stretches IS good at that age. Ds did five at about 12 weeks, and dd was younger...maybe six weeks?  I know it's hard for you, but your LO isn't bothered by their sleep patterns.  Good luck to you...take naps if you need to!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    8 weeks DS started sleeping better, however before that we would have done anything for a 3 hour stretch. He was waking up every 90 minutes for 8 weeks, 2 hours was a treat.
  • Options
    Totally normal newborn sleep pattern. Mine started STTN at 4 months. GL!
  • Options
    Agree with pp's.  Plus I want to note that there will probably be A LOT of ups and downs in sleep pattern.  Most babies I know would STTN, then regress, then STTN again.  So, enjoy the good times and try to brush off the bad times.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's actually good. I had one kid that didn't sleep longer than 4 hours until after a year.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • Options
    Yep, that is a good stretch. DS2 is 8 days old and I would kill for 3 to 4 hour stretches.  I got excited the one night we had 3 stretches of 2.5 hours each!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine didn't sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time until he was closer to a year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"