3rd Trimester

No internal exams yet

I was 35w 2d at my last appointment and no internal exam. Based on what we learn in our birth class, I have a feeling my hospital does not perform internal exams until we're in labor. Even then, they said they minimize it because it can cause an infection.

So I am curious. When OBs do perform internal exams, when do they start?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: No internal exams yet

• I had my first today at my 36 week appointment.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I'll have my first next week at 36w5d.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my first one at 36 weeks but the dr said they will not do another one unless I go over due.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yeah my only internal was at my 36 week appointment, and they also did the GBS test then.  They said that will be it for internals unless I specifically request one.
    4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My first was at 36 weeks and I get an internal at every visit now.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Mine will be at 35-36 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My first one will be at my 36 week appt.
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• I had my first today at 40+5.  Was going to do a membrane sweep, but I'm closed up too tight.  -.-  
    DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
  • With my first pregnancy, my OB at the time started them at my 36th week. I'm not sure what my OB will do this time since shes new and I honestly didn't even think to ask her. lol. My cousin who lives a few hours from me said her MW didn't even bother doing an internal until her due date so it seems like its just up to the discretion of the OB or MW.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Got my first one today at 37 weeks. I think they'll ask me from here on out if I want one, but I'm not certain.
    Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't get one until I was in labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My midwives do not check you unless you are overdue.  I am completely fine with that, it's really unnecessary. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My doctors office hasn't offered one, and I haven't asked because I plan on refusing anyways until I am in labor or overdue.
  • I am having my first on Tuesday- I will be 36 weeks 4 days.

I'm not sure if that is standard at my OB's office, but I may need to be induced around 38 or 39 weeks so he wanted to check on things.

• 36 weeks, but I already told them at my last appt that I dont want them till I'm in L&D.
  • My appointments got off a few weeks ago, so my first internal with my OB was at my 35 week appointment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doc doesn't do them till 37-38 weeks. I had my first on Thursday, so a little over 38 weeks.
    I guess technically now I should be SecondBabyMomma Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had my first at 37 weeks, but obviously it varies from practice to practice. Call and ask if you're curious!
  • Some start them as early as 35/36 weeks routinely, others don't until you hit 40 weeks or later. I'm going to decline until I'm past due
  • Usually they do an internal at 36w (as everyone has said lol) but only b/c as my OB put it "I'm already done there doing the GBS test anyways". Then she said it was completely up to me. She'd do them if I wanted to know if I was dilating/effacing any but it was up to me, they're not necessary. I was having a lot of anxiety b/c my last exam I was screaming and crying (I about 22 weeks and they were concerned with preterm labor). I was so realized she didn't do them routinely!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"