Pre-School and Daycare

c/p from special needs, help!

(Highlighted the main question)

So after 10 months of waiting, we finally saw the neuro for Andrew's (who is 3 1/2) autism screening and I am even more confused now.

With the adaptive behavior assessment he scores a total score of 62 which is low. He scored a 32 on the CAR-S which puts him in the mild-to-moderate symptoms of autism, and on his observation he scored a 0 in communication, and 4 in socialization which puts him below cut off for ASD. At this point this is all the information I have.

They told me he is not on the spectrum, though he displays autistic tendencies. He does have severe sensory processing disorder (which we knew), mixed receptive/expressive language disorder and phonological disorder (which we knew) and they are diagnosing him with disruptive behavior disorder- nos. He also has sleep impairment and possibly a global development delay.

So I guess my questions are these:

1.) What do I do now? He is already in early development preschool under speech and development delays so i know that those don't need to change. We can't qualify for medicaid based on income and my private insurance won't pay for at home occupation, feeding, or parent-child therapy. Does anyone have any experience with The Katie Beckett program?

2.) Does anyone have an experience with Disruptive behavior disorder? Support groups? anything? I have never heard of it until last week and it is still hard not to think it is just an excuse for being naughty.Most things I have found are for parents of teenagers who are already in a lot of trouble. Also, the more I look into it, the more freaked out I get. Please tell me it will be ok and he won't grow up to be a cat killer or something.

3.) What is parent-child therapy?

Sorry I am not around much, but I have no where else to ask and I know you ladies have a lot of knowledge! TIA!

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: c/p from special needs, help!

• I'm sorry you and Andrew are going through this. It must be completely overwhelming to get the information you did. I haven't worked in mental health in a long time and my work was mostly with older kids and teens. I quickly googled "disruptive behavior preschool" and several things came up.

I would try googling preschool DBD and your city r county and see if any resources come up. Maybe you could contact your local children's hospital and ask to speak to a social worker. They are usually well connected with community resources. Your Board of Ed and Headstart programs may also know of support groups. I wish I had more help to offer :(
  • I would definitely apply for the Katie Beckett program and see if you qualify. I'm sure it would be helpful; I know how stressful it can be to not have a way to cover all the therapies your child needs!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"