3rd Trimester

Anyone going to a chiropractor?

I've been having terrible back pain, which started on my left lower back (hip I carry my 18 mo old son) and has traveled to the other side, my left thigh and now the upper back.  OB recommended a chiropractor and said I might need physical therapy.  I've never had back problems before. Has anyone gone to a chiropractor?  What was your experience? 

Re: Anyone going to a chiropractor?

• I started going because my midwife's chiro is pretty successful in getting babies to turn, and DS has been stubbornly posterior.  I'm continuing to go now because she adjusts my pelvic bone enough to instantly relieve days of pain from the baby dropping.  I turn into a ball of putty shortly after walking out.  I don't care if DS is still in the same basic position if he isn't hurting me so much that I can barely sleep.  (And DS IS much more mobile after appointments.)
    DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
  • I go every three weeks. But I also went before pregnancy. Being aligned is a good idea to feel good during pregnancy and can also make labor easier too. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • I go once a week. This pregnancy pushed a couple if my ribs out of place and we are moving them back. My insurance doesnt cover it, but they only charge me 25 a visit. The same day I am afjusted I am sore, but feel much better afterwards.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, I go regularly, especially this pregnancy.  I'm just really uncomfortable and adjustments do help.  I have one that is trained in adjusting pregnant women and she is wonderful.  Plus a good chiro should be able to give you some exercises that you can work on between adjustments to avoid physical therapy.  Keep in mind though that one adjustment will likely not be enough-it took months to get you this out of alignment and it might take several adjustments over a few weeks to get you back to "normal".    
  • I'm a physical therapist, but tried a chiro with my last pregnancy. For me, personally, it was the worst thing I could have done. I then went to a physical therapist who was certified in manual techniques and he fixed my back problem in one visit. I started seeing him a couple of weeks ago for a similar problem...I have gone three times and feel like a new person!
  • I just started seeing a chiro for the first time during my 2nd trimester.  I had SPD with my last pregnancy and felt the pain start to creep in so that's why I started going.  I am a HUGE fan!  It has made such a difference to my overall comfort level and has definitely helped with the SPD as well.  It's so great for pregnancy in general because your body is changing so rapidly it helps keep everything aligned and has a positive impact on baby's position.  Also, any time something in particular is bothering me (I've had quite a bit of trouble with my right hip, which is new this pregnancy) the chiro can fix me right up!  It ends up coming back, but at least I get some relief after I've been adjusted.  I go weekly. 
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I just started going last week because of my sciatica and because my Pilates instructor thought my hips were out of wack. She was right. I am going to my second appt today. At $10 a co-pay, it is a cheap way to feel a little bit better towards the end of my pregnancy. 
    Anniversary

\

• My doc said to go but in moderation. I have neck problems but this baby has brought on sciatic pain. My doc said chiropracters can make the pain worse. He nailed it on the head with me. Love my chiro for my neck etc and when not prego but after one hip adjustment I was in pain for 2 days. I only see him now for neck and upper back when necessary.   
  • I'm going almost weekly now. It helps me be able to actually walk so I love my chiro!  Luckily the relaxin that makes it easier for our joints to pop out of place also makes it easier for them to put them back in!  Last week the chiro had to put back in my tailbone, my lumbar, 2 ribs on the right and one on the left.  I felt tons better afterwards considering beforehand I was relying on W to get me upright (including off of the toilet!) anytime I was laying down or sitting.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• I would recommend seeing one. I feel so much better after going.  The easiest way to find one who treats pregnant women is going to the icpa website - see link below.

https://icpa4kids.org/Find-a-Chiropractor/

DS 1-31-13 DD 9-3-14
  • I prefer the chiropractor to a massage therapist. I looovvvveeeee chiropracors! The only down side is, once you start going, you really have to keep up with it. I work in a nursing home lifting people all day, everyday, so it's a God send.
  • I started going two weeks ago. We started at 3x/week, now we're down to 2x/week and we'll more to 1x/week in two weeks and stay there.  I have a 1.5+ hour commute each way and it's been killing my back.  Even after 2 weeks, it's been a huge help.  I've also heard it helps with labor.

• I saw a chiropractor for a few years after injuring my back in a car accident and she was amazing.  I saw one last summer because my back and neck were bothering me and the lady was just so-so.  I think chiros can work wonders for pain relief ( not cures ) but you have to find the right one - do your research!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've seen a chiro for years. After I got pregnant I didn't trust the one I'd been seeing as he didn't do anything different despite the pregnancy. You can't just go twisting me whichever way anymore! Through our doula, I found one trained in pregnancy and absolutely love her! I will be continuing to see her after pregnancy. I have symphysis pubis dysfunction due to the pregnancy and also had a rib subluxation. My chiro gave me her cell # and said to not hesitate to call if my pain gets as bad as it did a few weeks ago. She's keeping me sane right now. I see her once a week and I get such relief. I was in tears from pain when I saw her for the pelvic pain, I couldn't handle stairs or much walking at all. Physical therapy has nothing on my chiro. But you need to find one who's got experience with pregnancy, that makes all the difference in the world.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"