Working Moms

Tricky Situation

My DD goes to an awesome in home daycare 2 days a week and will be going there full time starting in May when I go back to work after my maternity leave. I will also need full time care for my newborn starting in May. However, my DCP is only licensed for one newborn and she had a baby in October so there wouldn't be room for my newborn until October 2013.

I don't want to pull my DD out of this daycare but I'm not sure what to do about interim care for my newborn from May until October. It seems weird to take him to another daycare just for that short time. I think a nanny might be more than we want to pay for just one child.

Any suggestions?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Tricky Situation

• I would ask her if she knows anyone, maybe a SAHM.  You may see if she would want to look into if she could actually take you baby too though.  The baby she had in October will be 7 months in May, that's not really a newborn.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • imagemegann831:
    I would ask her if she knows anyone, maybe a SAHM.  You may see if she would want to look into if she could actually take you baby too though.  The baby she had in October will be 7 months in May, that's not really a newborn.

Generally they're considered newborns until 12 or 15 months (the typical transition age to the toddler room in a center) and have to be walking on their own.

OP, that's tough!  It's only five months but that can be a long time to haul two kids to two places. Have you thought about looking into hiring a college kid?  Would probably be less than a career nanny. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Does the provider's own child count toward her license?  In some states, the provider's own children aren't counted the same as a non-relative's child. 

Do you have any friends or relatives who live close by who could take LO for those 5 months? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Boy, that is tricky.  I agree with checking with friends/family to see if they could help out in the interim.  Could you and DH flex your schedule to reduce the number of days you would need care for?

I would also talk to your current provider about any options.  She may know of someone else in her neighborhood, so at least two dropoffs wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

• Are you the poster that had BIL watching your older one for a bit?  Is he still available for the 5 months until the other child is 1 year old and you can put your LO with you DD?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • imageNeener73:

Does the provider's own child count toward her license?  In some states, the provider's own children aren't counted the same as a non-relative's child. 

Do you have any friends or relatives who live close by who could take LO for those 5 months? 

This.  I would lean towards finding someone temporarily for the newborn if you can then switch to both at the same place in Oct.   

12/13/10 BFP 12/23/10 Miscarriage 3/6/11 BFP EDD 11/09/11 11/03/11 C-Section at 39w1d for failure to progress on induction for HBP and GD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cincinnati Reds Pictures, Images and Photos image ~~~~~Everyone Welcome PgAL/PAL~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"