February 2013 Moms

Is it weird my dr does an ultrasound at every appointment?

I started with a new doctor about a month ago.  I've seen her here times now and each time she's done an ultrasound and checked my cervix with an internal ultrasound.  My last doctor only measured me and listened with a Doppler at each appointment.  Is this overkill or normal? I recall reading something many moons ago about too many internal ultrasounds maybe being bad for baby (don't remember if it was a reputable website or not).

What do you ladies think? 

Re: Is it weird my dr does an ultrasound at every appointment?

• For a normal pregnancy yes this is strange.  Someone who is high risk than its with in the normal.  

Are you high risk ? 

April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • I have only had 2 u/s...I did have some early at my RE's but with my obgyn it was only 2, and the u/s tech did them, no internal u/s at my obgyn as of yet...but I did have those at my RE's....so yeah I think its weird....
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree,  if your not high risk, there wouldn't be a reason to do that every time. 

On the other hand, I've been in for my last 2 apts and when my fungus was measured, I was small.  So I have had an ultrasound at my last 2 appointments also.  

Just to make sure baby is growing ok..

Pregnancy Ticker Live like today is your last, Love like you have never been hurt, and Dance like there is no one watching.
  • imagekimbber:

I agree,  if your not high risk, there wouldn't be a reason to do that every time. 

On the other hand, I've been in for my last 2 apts and when my fungus was measured, I was small.  So I have had an ultrasound at my last 2 appointments also.  

Now this is a funny auto-correct, since I assume that's what happened. Where exactly is this fungus growing and how big is it right now? Perhaps your OB should consider giving you some meds for it? ;-)

And OP, I get a regular u/s every visit, but I'm high risk. Even then, my MW does an internal to check cervical position but there's no internal u/s to monitor cervix length since my main HR problem has nothing to do with PTL.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• imagekelly321:
    imagekimbber:

I agree,  if your not high risk, there wouldn't be a reason to do that every time. 

Now this is a funny auto-correct, since I assume that's what happened. Where exactly is this fungus growing and how big is it right now? Perhaps your OB should consider giving you some meds for it? ;-)

And OP, I get a regular u/s every visit, but I'm high risk. Even then, my MW does an internal to check cervical position but there's no internal u/s to monitor cervix length since my main HR problem has nothing to do with PTL.

bahaha yea I was starting to wonder where my fungus is and why it never gets measured!

OP, I know my first OB did a US every visit but only internal the first time (at 4wks) and then the rest were on the belly. I was not high risk but he was watching closely since I had just had a major surgery right before getting pregnant. New OB only measure me and checks babys heart with the Doppler. 

• In Lux a scan at every appointment is normal and a cervical check starting at 29 weeks too but it's not via ultrasound.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • The doctor's office I go to gives each pregnant patient an ultrasound each visit.  The first one was the only internal, the rest were on the belly.  That's just standard for their office.

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've had an ultrasound at every appointment, even if it's just a short one to check on the heart and lung function. Only one cervical check, but that's when I went in with some very bad lower abdominal cramps. It was determined to be RLP, but they wanted to make sure I wasn't in pre-term labor.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wow, I can't believe how many OBs do routine, unnecessary ultrasounds. Have any of you questioned these? There's no research showing their safety, especially at that amount! 
  • Wow sounds like its a mix!  I'm not high risk, but I am going to a dr. who specializes in high risk patients--maybe that's just normal for her?  Yes I'm sure my insurance company is LOVING this lady!!

I do worry a bit about what the ultrasounds could be doing to baby if anything. 

• I think you can always ask why and if you aren't comfortable with it, ask if you can stick with the Doppler unless something prompts her to want to use the ultrasound.  I've had three u/s, one extra only because my first OB didn't do whatever measuring they do for the first trimester screening at my initial ultrasound. 

• I only have had one plevic exam and i have had a ultrasound every other time i go to the doctors but im a teen and teens have high risk pregancys so they usually do one every other time... but i dont think its bad for the baby beacuse if it was why would they do them in the first place you know??? i love getting an ultrasound and seeing my baby girl :p

~Sophia's Mommy~
  • It's standard at my doc to get one at every appointment as well. They tend to be quick, just checking growth and heartbeat.

Sophiasmommy, it's not that they're bad for the baby, per se. Just not enough long term studies have been done, so a lot of folks prefer to err on the side of caution and use them minimally if there is no strong medical reason to do them. Same with things like home dopplers. No, there isnt proof that they're harmful, but a lot of ladies prefer to minimize electronics. 

Remember, they used to give pg ladies weight loss drugs that ended up causing serious birth defects, and telling women to smoke to ease pregnancy constipation - so doctors don't always know, and what seems safe today may be a really bad idea.  

BabyFetus Ticker
    Home in the bush.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"