March 2013 Moms

Fundal Height!

Today I went to the doctor. I had my glucose screening, which wasn't horrible like I thought it was going to be yay!!! I should get results soon. Anyway, I'm almost 27 weeks and my fundal height was 29. Is that bad? The doctor I saw isn't one of the most friendly people and he rushes you out of the room so I didn't even get to talk much to him. I actually looked in my own chart to see my fundal height and the nurse yelled at me for that. Normal? Not normal? This is my first pregnancy so I have tons of questions. Haha.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fundal Height!

• Picking up your chart without asking is like opening up your financial advisor's desk drawer.  Just ASK for them to show you.
  • Unless I thought I was dying and they weren't telling me, I would never even think of looking at my chart, like pp said it is a huge invasion or privacy.

That being said, yes your fundal height is normal.

• Loading the player...
  • Your fundal height is normal.  It should be your number of weeks +/- 2.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I understand what you're saying.  I definitely didn't pick up the chart, she handed it to me and I was waiting to hand it to the receptionist to make a new appointment who was away from the desk.  I would never just grab it.   Now I know for next time to not look at it. 

Ok, I'm glad the fundal height is normal.  I was like "oh crap, what have I been eating!"  Haha   

• How is it an invasion of privacy if it is your chart?? I don't get it
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageapryllrenee:
    How is it an invasion of privacy if it is your chart?? I don't get it

This exactly. It is your chart and your health, you should be able to know what it says about you and your pregnancy. If they aren't giving you the time during the appointment then what do they expect.
  • imagethecarrotflower:
    imageapryllrenee:

This exactly. It is your chart and your health, you should be able to know what it says about you and your pregnancy. If they aren't giving you the time during the appointment then what do they expect.

See that's what I thought too. I'm not violating HIPPA by looking at my own stuff. Plus all I looked at was my weight and fundal height. Lol
  • My SIL changed practices and her old doctor just had the office staff photocopy her chart so she could bring it along with her (it was actually really cool to go through because it had all the notes that nurses and docs made while she was laboring/delivering my niece).  I don't see it as going through their stuff.  Especially if they placed it in her hands! 

As for the fundal height, I agree that 2 weeks ahead isn't an issue.

• I'd be calling an office manager if the nurse yelled at me for looking at MY chart.  Um, what are you writing on there that I can't know?

That is unacceptable in my book.

• imageapryllrenee:

Yeah, this makes no sense.  It's not an open book full of everyone's charts. My OB has everything digital and when they take my weight and BP, the computer screen is right there with all of my information.  

Now, if someone is breaking into their OB's office or trying to pick up other people's charts.. yeah, let's get a little worried and preachy then.  

• imagethecarrotflower:
    imageapryllrenee:

This. It's YOUR information.

I would say though that you should be firm and don't let the doctor leave if you still have any questions.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I had my chart at my last prenatal appointment and opened it up to look at one of my last lab results right in front of the doctor and the nurses and no one said anything. Ha ha. It is your information, and you should be able to reasonably request a copy of your medical information so I don't know why they freaked out on you.

At my first appointment where they measured my fundal height, I was 22 weeks and 6 days, and measuring right at 23 weeks. Yesterday's appointment I was 24 weeks and 6 days, and measuring at 24 weeks. I was a little worried at only having 1 week progress in a 2 week span so I asked the midwife about it and she told me it was completely fine and I might even measure ahead sometimes. As long as the numbers aren't too far apart, they tend not to worry. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"