School-Aged Children

Kindergarten and homework

Did your Kindergartener have homework? If yes how often and when was it due?
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Kindergarten and homework

• DS is in K this year. He does not have any homework.
    His teacher does send home a monthly reading log and ask that we read with him 20 minutes a night. We always read at night anyway so that's not really homework for him.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My dd brought home a packet on monday that was due the following monday super easy fun stuff, she would do it all the first night she got it. Now she is in 5th grade and hates homework!
  • Loading the player...
  • K -- weekly homework packet.  They had to read or be read to for 15 minutes every night M through Th.  Each night had another hw activity.  Mondays were always reading, Tuesdays math, Wednesdays writing, Thursdays were science or social studies.  Most of the other activities involved discussing something with a family member.  The exception was writing on Wednesdays.  They had to answer a writing prompt on the back of the HW sheet and draw a picture to illustrate their writing.

1st - same as K except for 20 minutes of reading and the addition of a spelling list to study every other week.

2nd - 20 minutes reading each night.  Written homework in a journal that is due at the end of the month.  Study for a quiz on Friday each week.  1st and 3rd weeks of the month are spelling; 2nd and 4th are math facts.

FWIW, I have mixed feelings about this homework.  On one hand, I feel like my kid could be doing more -- a LOT more.  On the other hand, I don't think primary grade kids should be loaded down with homework.  Mostly I use this homework as a chance to establish good study skills and work habits.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Each month, DS was sent home with a packet of 8-10 worksheets. Most were very easy for him, and they were optional, and to be brought in the last Fri of the month. Of course, they encouraged reading each night, but there was no log. We also were encouraged to work sight words into our daily routines, but no set homework.
  • My two had homework nearly every night. It would only take 5 min or less most nights. Once we got to reading though, depending on the book, it could take quite a bit longer. Homework was sent home nightly to be completed for the next day.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • imageMrsLee04:
    imageneverblushed:

FWIW, I have mixed feelings about this homework.  On one hand, I feel like my kid could be doing more -- a LOT more.  On the other hand, I don't think primary grade kids should be loaded down with homework.  Mostly I use this homework as a chance to establish good study skills and work habits.

I feel the same.  Mine have homework 3-4 times a week.  Usually each week they focus on a letter, and on Mondays they have to write that letter in upper and lowercase 5 times then draw 2 things that start with that letter.  Friday they have a "book report" that is due.  They get assigned a little book that is of their reading level and it comes with this sheet they have to fill out about the book.  They have other random assignments throughout the week.  It's not necessarily a lot, but since it's almost every night it does get a little annoying at this age.  

What types of questions, while I hate homework I am interested because I am trying to check DS' comprehension.
    I totally agree, especially since I feel it is busy work. I actually do not mine the optional monthly homework sheet he gets with 15 items in it because they are more funish stuff that is not busy work repeating the work they did in class that my almost 3yo sits over DS' shoulder yelling out the answers to.

Oh, and weekly he gets a packet of 4 worksheets, mostly letters and sounds and usually one math plus 4 robust vocabulary words to be completed by the end of the week.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • No homework at all in K.  I'm glad.
  • My DD has homework every week. They give us a sheet with the assignments and we turn it all in the following Monday. Things like write sentences explaining Veterns Day, facts about the bald eagle, etc.

I think they are going a little overboard with it one week she had 9 different assignments. One of them was for music, it was ridiculous.

She also has to read 15 different books each month and answer questions on 5 of those books.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • My DD has homework every day in kindergarten! We get the packet on Monday and it's due on Friday.  We also have a "sign sheet" that the parent is supposed to fill out with the amount of time spent doing the homework.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• DD has homework every night but Friday. It is just one sheet and nothing too much. But she also has sight words that she is tested on every Thursday so we have to practice those every night as well. She also is in a special reading program and we have to do that once a week also due on Thursdays. All and all it isnt too too bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD has homework every night Monday-Thursday.  The assignments are all placed in a folder at the beginning of the week and returned at the end of the week, so if we miss a night she can just double up the next day.  Her teacher says it should take no more than 15 minutes.  Usually it's a worksheet or small project of some sort + working on a reading list of 10-12 words.  We are also supposed to read to her every night, which we do anyway, though it's not logged or anything.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • DS had home work every night last year, it was just one worksheet and a decodable book, super easy and simple, I always thought he should be doing more, it seriously took less than 5 minutes. This year in first grade they are killing us, our homework takes about an hour and 30 minutes, which I think is ridiculous compare to how easy it was last year. oh and the homework is M-TH.
  • Dd gets a folder of worksheets on Monday that is due on Thursday. It's usually 2-4 worksheets that takes her between 3 and 10 minutes, depending on how much writing she has. It usually ltakes her less than 5 minutes.

Now the teacher has also sent home a book from reading group once a week that she needs to do a little writing for. Overall, it's not too much for her.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Last year for K it was "not more than 20 minutes per week" but I don't think it ever took him more than 10.  It was usually a math worksheet like "draw 7 objects inside this giant number 7" or to read the little 5pg "See *** run" kind of books they brought home.  It was more about learning to be responsible for work outside of school than it was about the actual work.

Now in 1st he's supposed to read 20 minutes per night and he gets a packet of 2-3 math sheets on Fridays that are due the following Thursday. 

• The only thing my DD has had this year is a reading assigment each weekend.  They get a very small book (8 pages or so) with a short sentence that includes the sight words they are and have worked on up to that point.  They need to read to 3 people over the weekend.

She brought the class bear home over the weekend this past weekend and we had to journal his stay - pictures with captions that DD had to write out.  She loved it!

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Yes, maybe twice a week and maybe 2 sheets(printing, math)  nothing overly hard.  Due next day!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter hasn't had any homework yet. I feel like she's learning and developing so I'm not worried at all. We are supposed to read for 20 or so minutes a night, but since we've done that since she was a few months old I don't think of that as homework. No log or anything to "prove" we're doing it.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PreK- family art project monthly 

KG- study sight words (10 per week) in the second semester.

1st- weekly spelling test studying, occasional reading of an AR book, occasional worksheet

2nd- homework "form" with the follow sections: reading, vocab, science/social studies, math and language arts.   The reading section takes about 30 mins all others are 5-15.  We have 8 days to complete it.  Get it on Thrus, due the next Friday.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They go to the school library everyday and check out a book that we then read together at night. They also send one of those 10-page book for beginners that he has to read himself. We are also supposed to practice sight words but we dont get logs or worksheets. 

When he was in pre-k, he had homework on Thursdays. He had a notebook for it. He had to write his name, the letter of the week many times, words starting with that letter , and glue pictures of things starting with that letter. 

• DS is in all day prek- he has to practice his sight words every night, his numbers, and read a take home reader that they have read in class. It takes 20 minutes at the most.
  • DS has homework every day to be turned in the next day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My DS attends a magnet school that has advanced science, math and reading programs so he has homework every night. The teacher sends home a packet on Monday that has to be turned in Friday along with print-outs of his completed online assignments. Kindergarten has come a long way since I was a youngin. I love how confident my DS is with all he is learning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • No required homework but he does bring home different readers - some he keeps and some have to be returned - so of course he's reading those.

They do public speaking for their winter and spring programs and we've worked together at home to help him memorize his parts. 

Both my pre-schooler and my Kindergardener LOVE iXL.com and ask to do their "math" homework on the computer or the ipad so we are supplementing there. 

The pre-schooler finished the pre-school curriculum in 2 months and is on to Kindy.  The Kindergardener started out flying through it on his own but I'm now having to sit with him to work on the more challenging things like word problems.

I think it's a good habit so they usually sit at the table and "work" in one fashion or another (writing Christmas lists, drawing pictures, etc) while I'm getting dinner together. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • My SS had to read two books every night because he was really behind and was possibly going to be held back. Otherwise he would have had no homework.

Now that he's in first he has homework every other day but we still make him read at least 20 minutes every day regardless of whether its a homework night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, my kindergartener gets weekly homework.  There's usually one or two math oriented worksheets, a weekly letter collage in their composition book, "book in a bag" (a short book they read and do small nightly assignments related to...how involved those assignments are is tied to how advanced the reading level is), a nightly reading log (expectation is 15 minutes/day) and the occasional project.  Regular homework comes home on Monday (worksheets) and Tuesday (book in a bag) and is due back by Friday.  Assignments tend to come home on Tuesdays and have varying due dates anywhere from 1-3 weeks out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"