April 2013 Moms

If you love macaroni and cheese...

Make this. Like now. OMG my tummy is so happy right now. Its basically carbs, butter, and lots of cheese.

I learned a few interesting tips about home made mac and cheese through this process -

1. Cook the pasta until it is barely done - very al dente. This give it room to also cook when you bake it and not be mushy. 

2. Unlike spaghetti, which you aren't supposed to rise after cooking, rise the elbow mac to get rid of the starch. Too much starch in the cheese mix can make it gluey.

3. For a smoother texture use white cheeses. Yellow cheeses are fine, but they can be more gritty than white cheese, which melts much smoother. We ended up using yellow sharp cheddar and Monterrey jack cheeses since that's what I had on hand.

Next time I really want to try it with shredded chicken and some broth in there. And bacon - somehow bacon. Mmmmm

Go forth, make mac and cheese, and be happy. <3

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

Re: If you love macaroni and cheese...

• That looks so good right now, I would take homemade macaroni and cheese over most things any day. Thanks for sharing!
    IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Yum! I'll be making this this week! Thanks for sharing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...

• 4.  Substitute Panko for standard American breadcrumbs.  They're a total game changer.  I make a Panko crust on top and it keeps the gooey insides from drying out.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • imagemypalbabs:

4.  Substitute Panko for standard American breadcrumbs.  They're a total game changer.  I make a Panko crust on top and it keeps the gooey insides from drying out.

::writes on list:: 

Genius!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• YUM!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

BFP #1: 5/10/12; 5/22/12: pregnancy deemed not viable (probably CP)
    BFP #2: 8/2/12; Due date: 4/14/13, DD born 4/5/2013
    BFP #3: 11/2/14, Due date: 7/7/15
  • I love baked Mac and cheese. Maybe tomorrow.
  • I was craving mac n cheese today!
  • When will technology advance to the point where I can just reach into the screen and grab a bowl of this deliciousness? H could never follow this recipe and I'm on bed rest....waaaaa!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • OH MY GOD!! I am drooling over this right now!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh yum! That looks sooo good! I would totally try this if my next scheduled food wasn't the ice cream I've been looking forward to all day...maybe for lunch tomorrow though....

OSC: maybe you could sprinkle real bacon bits on the top with the crust-like part before you bake it? Or even after it's done, just sprinkle them over the whole thing like you would a Ceasar salad?

ETA: Lol, I just noticed that in one of the comments someone calls the writer Biz, kinda like our UberBiz :)

• Thanks for Wednesday nights dinner!
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • Am I in the minority that hates breadcrumbs in their mac-n-cheese? I actually don't like homemade stuff because of that ;) I like it just creamy... no grit on top!
    carrie ~ me-at-carrie.cc ~ 4/21/2007
    * blog * first baby blog * baby 2.0 blog * twitter *

IMG_0578

• I haven't tried this but was recently told to boil the mac in milk instead of water to make it creamy
    BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"