1st Trimester

What does he mean??? Help :(

I just had my first ultrasound at 5 weeks 4 days. I have had pains and spotting and was on bed rest for the weekend. The bleeding has stopped now.. Turns out I had a corpus luteal cyst and they think it burst and that's where the pain/bleeding came from.

In my ultrasound we saw the sac and the little yolk sac but no heartbeat yet (which I thought was normal since it is SO early). I met with my Dr after the u/s and he was explaining the results. He then stated he wanted me to come in for a repeat ultrasound in a week, and ended the appt by saying "If there is no sign of heartbeat by next week we need to talk about miscarriage"

Why would he say this??? I am now freaking out. By my next appt I will be 6 weeks 4 days and yes I hope to see a heartbeat but if I don't that means miscarriage? I am so confused, upset, and now need to wait a long agonizing week. I dont understand. Anyone have experiences like this? When did you see your baby's heart beat? Makes me feel like he isn't telling me something- or he is just trying to cover his ass. I am thinking about calling the office tomorrow and having this explained to me again...

Re: What does he mean??? Help :(

• I could deff be wrong but my u/s was at 6 weeks 4 days and we say the heart beat but my ob said it had just started not to long before that...so i think its very early for him to make comments like that. especially because 5 weeks 4 days is very early. i'd consider another doctor..
  • At 5w4d I had a cyst rupture, and saw the gestational sac and the yolk sac. A week later, at 6w4d, we had a heartbeat of 138.

Try not to over-think everything until you get to be seven-eight weeks with no heartbeat. Why would he be "covering his ass," I don't even understand why that would be a factor in this, he can't cause you to have a miscarriage.

Yes, it may happen, we all have that chance. (My loss was discovered at 12 weeks, after I saw a heartbeat numerous times.) But as of right now, you're measuring pretty-much on track. So relax, and don't spend the rest of the week in fear. Good luck to you.

photo AlbumsWideColorBump_zps1797df63.jpg

We lost our first (EDD 07/23/12) after finding out at 12 weeks there was no longer a heartbeat. Our rainbow was born 05/22/13 and was worth all we went through.

“So can you understand? Why I want a daughter while I’m still young? I wanna hold her hand and show her some beauty before all this damage is done. But if it’s too much to ask, it’s too much to ask … Then send me a son.” – Arcade Fire
  • Loading the player...
  • in the majority of people who have a miscarriage, the heart never develops because of the abnormality with the embryo.  in most cases you would see a heartbeat by 6 1/2 weeks, and i believe in all people by 7 weeks.  so, if the sac measurement correlates with your dates, and there is no heartbeat by that point, chances are its not a viable pregnancy.  that is probably what he was referring to, expecially given the spotting.  hopefully you will see a heartbeat, but if not, i would ask him to probably do another ultrasound in another week before declaring it a blighted ovum or something similar. 

DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had a corpus lutem cyst burst with my last pregnancy.  Although I did not have the bleeding I did have the pain you were talking about.  With this last pregnancy I saw the heartbeat at 5 weeks 6 days but with my last one I was closer to 7 weeks.  With my first pregnancy I had bleeding the first 2 weeks and there was no heartbeat at 6.5 weeks.  My doctor was convinced it was a m/c but told me I could wait a week if I would like.  I did (most horrible week ever) and the bleeding stopped and now I have a healthy 5 year old.  Good luck thinking of you!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Saw the heartbeat at 6 weeks. Hopefully, something will be seen at your next appointment. GL and try not to stress (I know easier said than done)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That should say with this pregnancy I saw the heartbeat at 5 weeks 6 days.  Sorry trying to do too much at one time getting the kids dinner and helping with homework too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That could probably be said to all pregnant women, but it is awful for him to say it aloud and put that fear in you. We are all waiting to be safely through the first tri and many of us won't have an early ultrasound.  Be grateful that at least you'll have more answers next week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • I had something very similar happen at the beginning of this pregnancy. I had pains near my right ovary so they did an ultrasound and found a corpus luteum cyst. They also said they saw a gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole nor heartbeat. This was at 5 weeks 4 days. This was followed by bloodwork that did not quite double so I had a followup ultrasound at 6 weeks 4 days and there was a beautiful heartbeat. As you can see I am now 23 weeks pregnant with an extremely bouncy baby boy. HTH!

Good luck!

mobile bumping

ETA I have PCOS with very irregular cycles. The last cycle I had was at the end of May but I felt myself O on July 7th. Since the doctor wanted to go by a 28 day cycle, he told me my pregnancy was not viable. Thankfully, little Myles has proven him wrong! Hang in there.
  • I understand why you would freak out. I would do the same... but try not to get too worried, It could just be too early to tell. He probably could have worded it a little better but with my experience with doctors, they tend to tell you the worst case scenario, or imply it rather than assure you everything is ok when it may not be. Fingers crossed you see something at your next appointment!! =)

• If you are sure of your dates, you should absolutely see a heartbeat next week. It's too early now, but it absolutely should start beating within this week.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Doctors say all sorts of things without thinking through what it sounds like to the patient, and without thinking about how it may cause the patient to stress out. Some can be downright impersonal and overly blunt, especially if you catch them on an off day.

Take a deep breath and relax. Call the office if it makes you feel better.

• I had an ultrasound at just over 5 weeks and the only thing they saw was the gestational sac and the yolk sac. They also said that although at this time that's all they should see I would have to come back in 2 weeks to check things out. Things were fine at the next appointment.

I had gone in for bleeding and it turned out to be a subchorionic bleed. I am just over 15 weeks now.

• Thanks SO much to those of you that have responded. I really appreciate your input and advice. I am just going to stay positive and not worry about it as best I can (easier said than done, right?). It is still early. Your stories and thoughts have helped calm me. Hoping for good news next week!! Wishing you all happy and healthy pregnancies.
  • Your OB needs better bedside manners and I feel the need to call him a douche. There is no reason he even had to bring up the word miscarriage. It isn't until about week 6 anyways that the heart starts beating.

Eta: you Should see a heartbeat next ultrasound. I had one about 6 weeks 6 days and the heart was fluttering away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had the same thing happen at my 5 week appointment.  The u/s tech told me there was a sac but no heartbeat.  She said that it might be too early or the baby didn't take.  I was a little bit taken aback that she said anything, because I thought that she was supposed to let the doctor tell me.  Anyway, when I went in to see the midwife, she told me that I should come back next week and we'll see what happens then.  The next week, I saw a heartbeat!  I was so relieved.  I think that you could relax and expect to see a heartbeat next week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Usually at 5 weeks there is a heartbeat but it is soo hard to hear. I didn't hear my baby's heartbeat until 6 weeks and 3 days so I'm sure you'll hear it next time. Good luck to you
  • Your doctor is an ass.  I wouldn't over think it.  It is still really early for a heartbeat so  i wouldn't stress over it.  I will be praying for peace of mind for you, and the week to go by quickly :0)
    Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • imageRumbleLina:
    Your OB needs better bedside manners and I feel the need to call him a douche. There is no reason he even had to bring up the word miscarriage. It isn't until about week 6 anyways that the heart starts beating.

Eta: you Should see a heartbeat next ultrasound. I had one about 6 weeks 6 days and the heart was fluttering away.

Total douche bag! But yes, 6 week range is supposed to be when the HB starts. However it's very easy for the machine to measure a day or two off. If you go again and there is no HB do not be afraid to ask to wait a little longer or go to a different doc for another u/s. I don't think there is anything wrong with being absolutely sure there is no HB before getting a dc. Hopefully there is a HB next time and you have nothing to worry about!

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • We did not see the heartbeat with both my pregnancies until I was seven weeks.  Most women don't see the heartbeat until six or seven weeks.  My doctor always brought me in after six weeks so we could be certain we would see something.  Wishing you lots of good luck and positive thoughts for next week!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"