C-sections

Breastfeeding after C-Section

I want to be able to breastfeed my LO. I am having a scheduled C-Section Feb. 1, and I read that I wont be able to take pain medincine if i want to breastfeed. Spoke to a nurse at the doctors office and she said that I will have to take pain med because I will be in alot of pain, and I wont be able to breastfeed my little baby boy.

Anyone else?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding after C-Section

• That is just not true.  I had c-sections with both of my kids and I was able to nurse both while on pain meds.  I am not sure why they are telling you that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That wasn't the case for me either.  I nursed my baby pretty much right away, while still on pain meds, which BTW, you will definitely need and want!
    10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That nurse is very wrong. I was on IV pain meds, then percocet, and nursed DS, with encouragement.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is simply not true. I breastfed my DS, a preemie who was 5 weeks early, as soon as he was born on percocet in the hospital. My OB and the countless others are a better reference than the internet. You will be able to nurse if this is what you choose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WTF? Of course you can take pain medication and BF. I took plenty of pain meds and BF LO from day one until today. I am sorry that nurse is an idiot, but you will be fine.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• There are certain meds that are not BF safe but they won't give you those in the hospital. Even moms who deliver vaginally often take pain meds post delivery for the pain. You will be fine.

However, people have different pain thresholds. I was only on ibuprofen once I was in my hospital room and at home. Others get lortabs or percosets. It just depends on the person but make sure you let the nurses know you want to BF and ask to see an LC after delivery. One came to my recovery room to help us BF.
  • Well that's just a flat out lie. I pumped for me first while he was in the NICU and on pain meds. Also nursed my second within an hour of him being born.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Like all pps have said, this is absolutely untrue. I had a scheduled c-section. Aside from the spinal for the surgery, towards the end they gave me a lovely bit of morphine to help with the pain, I was on a rotation of Ibuprofen and Tylenol,  and had oxcycodone (sp?) available if I needed it. It was never even suggested that I may not be able to breastfeed because of the pain medications.
  • I breastfed after both of my c-sections.  You may be fine on ibuprofen -- that is what I took because I didn't want to take any narcotics during breastfeeding.  I felt great and had a quick recovery.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKRT:
    That is just not true.  I had c-sections with both of my kids and I was able to nurse both while on pain meds.  I am not sure why they are telling you that.

This.  I just had one on thursday.  I am on Percocet and breastfeed. 

• That is ridiculous!  Of course, you can take pain medicine and breastfeed.  I took Percocet and Motrin without any problems.

This kind of ignorance from health care professionals makes me so angry!!!!

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • You can take pain meds and breastfeed. I was given Advil and Tylenol. It really wasn't that painful either, more uncomfortable. Do they have a lactation consult on staff?
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • She is wrong.  I was sent home on Percocet and breastfed, and it was fine.  I asked to confirm that it was ok.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • It's fine, they give you painkillers that are safe to take during breastfeeding. I also took Advil for a long time afterwards (a few weeks?), and that's safe during breastfeeding also. hth
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Not true... right when I got to my room after recovery the nurses had me try breastfeeding.  I took all pain meds they gave me and was pretty doped up from my surgery.  I nursed the entire time I was in the hospital and am still feeding my daughter breast milk to this day.  Ask your doctor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageemberlee3:

That is ridiculous!  Of course, you can take pain medicine and breastfeed.  I took Percocet and Motrin without any problems.

This kind of ignorance from health care professionals makes me so angry!!!!

this for me, too.  Andplusalso I had morphine with my epi.   

12/13/10 BFP 12/23/10 Miscarriage 3/6/11 BFP EDD 11/09/11 11/03/11 C-Section at 39w1d for failure to progress on induction for HBP and GD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cincinnati Reds Pictures, Images and Photos image ~~~~~Everyone Welcome PgAL/PAL~~~~~~
  • I nursed DD while I was still in recovery.

• Never heard that I had a emergency c-section and nursed as soon as I was ready. Believe me you are more than fine to breastfeed!
  • imagemabenner1:
    That nurse is very wrong. I was on IV pain meds, then percocet, and nursed DS, with encouragement.

THis was me as well, and even 4 weeks after my son was born and I had to have another emergency surgery to remove my galbladder and I nursed right through that as well! Of course I only needed Motrin for that as after the C I think I was immune to any other pain! lol

You will be fine, just make your wishes known and dont let them give your baby a bottle if its not what you want! My husband fought off the nurses for 2 hours until I could get out of surgery and nurse! Thats another story but still.... It will be great for you!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• I'm not sure where you read that, but it's completely wrong. I took percocet and ibuprofen after my c-section, and I've been nursing my son every day for ten months now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"