1st Trimester

HELP :( miscarrying??

I went to the Dr today with brown bleeding and cramping....I think I'm about 5 1/2- 6 weeks...hcg levels are almost at 10,000....they did an ultrasound and found only a sac and they said baby should have been there with a heartbeat..especially since my levels are so high...they said that my pregnancy was not viable and that I would need a D&C...i said no I was going to wait and see if I miscarry naturally.....:( any thoughts!?!? what is going on!? :( why are my levels so good but I'm apparently going to miscarry? (according to them)
Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: HELP :( miscarrying??

• Have you asked your doctor these questions?

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Im not sure why your numbers are soo good...my numbers were also high, but today I am cramping and bleeding (red).  I am going to the ER now....I pray that everything is ok with u as well as myself.....GL and TC
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehomebird:
    Have you asked your doctor these questions?

my dr is on vacation :/ but she said it could be just dead tissue causing my numbers to go up...but she wasn't 100% sure I would miscarry...which is why I opted out of the D&C 

• I would wait a week to see if there is a HB. At 5.5/6 weeks there is little chance of a HB yet. Wait it out a bit and see. I hope you get good results.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • So sorry. :( I've had 5 losses myself. They are never easy. Good Luck to you. You probably won't know a reason for this unless there is testing done afterwards. I've never had a D&C for any of my losses.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hello I am sorry to hear this I know at 6 weeks the baby very tiny and may not be visible to hear yet happen to me I had wait till I was 8 weeks to hear heart beat I would wait and see or go to the ER I'm sure your fine if you're that high in HCG 
    Love me or hate me it won't break me.
  • imageYoungMommy2010:
    I went to the Dr today with brown bleeding and cramping....I think I'm about 5 1/2- 6 weeks...hcg levels are almost at 10,000....they did an ultrasound and found only a sac and they said baby should have been there with a heartbeat..especially since my levels are so high...they said that my pregnancy was not viable and that I would need a D&C...i said no I was going to wait and see if I miscarry naturally.....:( any thoughts!?!? what is going on!? :( why are my levels so good but I'm apparently going to miscarry? (according to them)

Hi. I would hold off on the D & C. You're still so early on and at 5.5 weeks, there's usually just a sac and the heartbeat is not detected yet. I am an ultrasound technologist.  The heartbeat is usually detected around 7 weeks.   Just wait it out a bit more, especially with your Hcg levels being good.  I am 10.5 wks pregnant, I too only found a sac at actually 5 wks. I had a transvaginal ultrasound. I came back and got another U/S at 7.5 weeks and the baby was there and with a heartbeat.  So don't lose hope and don't let them give you the D&C yet. Hold off please.  Take care. Let me know if you need help. 

• I'd find another doctor if yours said they wanted to do a D and C after not seeing a heartbeat at under six weeks, whether you are miscarrying or not. We only saw the gestational and yolk sacs then, and my betas were at 9,075. Good luck to you.
    photo AlbumsWideColorBump_zps1797df63.jpg

We lost our first (EDD 07/23/12) after finding out at 12 weeks there was no longer a heartbeat. Our rainbow was born 05/22/13 and was worth all we went through.

“So can you understand? Why I want a daughter while I’m still young? I wanna hold her hand and show her some beauty before all this damage is done. But if it’s too much to ask, it’s too much to ask … Then send me a son.” – Arcade Fire
  • I saw a couple of ppl mentioning possibly going to the ER. I wouldn't waste the time/$ if I were you. They won't be able to do anything if you are having a mc. Make another appt with your doctor.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Are you basing your 5weeks on ovulation or LMP? At the beginning of my pregnancy, I thought I was 7 weeks along (based on LMP, but I O late in my cycle). I went to the doctor for cramping issues, and they did an US. There was a sac, but no visible baby/hb. I had my HCG levels drawn, and they were at 3000. The doctor said I could be miscarrying. They wanted to see me back in two days for another HCG draw. My levels went up, but barely doubled. They adjusted my 7 weeks to 4weeks, and did another US a week later, and saw a wonderful, healthy heart beat. I now have a very happy and healthy 4 month old.

Please try not to worry, I know it's hard, but wait and see if your levels go up!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Brown Blood is old blood from my understanding....Cramping is normal during early pregnancy on some levels....I had a internal US (sorry dont know the right term) when I was 7wks 4 days and the baby was so tiny and had a little heart beat that we could see but it was too young to hear.

I agree with the other ladies WAIT! dont do anything yet. dont panic either. T&Ps 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • thank you SO MUCH everyone <3 it means a lot! 

i also maybe thought I could be pregnant with twins?? my mother in law was pregnant with twins two times and miscarried one of them each time. idk it was just something I thought of....but I'm just at home now, cramping and spotting stopped for now, just going to see if I start miscarrying on my own or if things progress. I go in on Tuesday for more lab work. it's hard waiting but I'm finding peace in God's will  

• I think it's probably fine. Go back and ask for another transvaginal ultrasound in 2 or 3 weeks. That time if the pregnancy is viable, you would hear the heartbeat and see your little bean.  You will also usually see the heart beating. I am surprised at whoever did your U/S at what this tech told you, scared you. Spotting and a little cramping is mostly normal in early pregnancy.  Brown blood is usually old blood.  
  • Had the same thing happen.... Everything was good, I was 11 weeks and I started to spot.... Went to the er and the ultrasound tech stated there was only a sac. When I went to see my sr the next day she recommended that we schedule a dc since she didn't think I could pass the sac naturally being I was already 11 weeks.... Well sad to say as I was at the hospital registering for my dc I actually passed my sac in the outpatient restroom....

I say give it some time to let your body react.... Listen to your body

: good luck

Sara
  • I am so sorry you are going through this. I have had four miscarriages, and they never get any easier.

I don't want to give you false hope, but doctors have been known to be wrong on more than one occasion with regard to this topic. You have to realize that they are trying to see something the size of a poppyseed, on a fuzzy computer screen, with a large probe. Please stay strong and don't do the d&c if you don't feel comfortable.  Currently my God-sister is at home with her three day old son who was a diagnosed "blighted ovum" scheduled for a d&c. She didn't feel comfortable with the procedure, and wanted to allow things to progress naturally.

Until you know more, take solace in this site. It always helped me. 

The Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think you're smart for waiting it out.  I'm not a dr, but I don't feel like the evidence is conclusive enough to go for a D&C.... I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with waiting a week and going back.  :)

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this and I hope everything turns out well for you!!

Our little Sweetpea 
    photo 62d4d618-8ee8-46d9-ae5d-705799d4d9da.jpg

BFP #1 04/27/12 | blighted ovum, m/c 05/30/12 @ ?? weeks, D&C 06/01/12 BFP #2 11/06/12 | DD born 07/10/13 BFP #3 10/07/13
  • Brown spotting and cramping is normal. I would definitely wait it out. And FIND A NEW DOCTOR!
  • I'm sorry. I hope things turn out differently than your doctor says. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I would def wait and like everyone else said find a new DOCTOR...a lot of times at that early you cant see the hearbeat or even a baby because you are not far enough along...
    imageimageimageimage

• When my hcg was at 16000 at the mid-5 week point, we only saw a gestational sac and yolk sac, no fetal pole and no heartbeat. Saw the fetal pole and heartbeat the following week.

I've been through multiple mc and my ob would never call for a d&c before the 7 week point. She always waits and sees how things develop. Get a second opinion or wait a few weeks before making that decision. 

• At 5 1/2 to 6 weeks, you won't always see a baby w/ a heartbeat.  I'm really surprised you were told that there "should have been a baby".  It's so early and things change quickly.  I was exactly 6w when I went in for an u/s for spotting.  All we saw was a gestational sac.  No yolk sac or fetal pole.  My OB said it was fine and had me come back at 8w.  I did and we saw the heartbeat and baby was measuring exactly 8w.  I never had betas done w/ any of my pregnancies so I can't speak to that but I would wait and see if a) the bleeding stops and b) an u/s in a week shows something more.

Good luck. 

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • imageKacyChicago:
    I'd find another doctor if yours said they wanted to do a D and C after not seeing a heartbeat at under six weeks, whether you are miscarrying or not. We only saw the gestational and yolk sacs then, and my betas were at 9,075. Good luck to you.

I second this... when I was in the ER at 5.5ish weeks with both my pregnancies (they were concerned about ectopic pregnancies both times), they saw a gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole or heartbeat. A week later both times, there was a baby with a heartbeat. (One of those pregnancies ended badly, but this one is looking good!) It seems a little off that they'd declare you're miscarrying just based on that. I'd definitely get a second opinion before you do anything drastic.

• I agree with all the other posters.  Give it another week or two. 

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • I'd be ready to sue whoever told you there was a problem. It is *completely* normal to not see a hb at 5 1/2 - 6 weeks, you usually won't see it until 6 1/2 weeks, and those few days DO make a difference! Especially with your beta numbers being good, I would get another u/s next week, I'd bet money on everything being just fine then.
    Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• I went to the Dr for the same thing (cramping and brown spotting) at a little over 5 weeks too.  My Hcg levels were 18,000, but there was just an empty sac on the U/S.  The seemed a bit surprised that you couldn't see anything with those numbers, but just told me to take it easy and come back in 2 weeks.  I went back in at 7 weeks and saw a tiny baby with a strong HB.  I wouldn't give up hope yet!  Good luck - hoping for the best!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"