April 2013 Moms

Names ruined for you?

As you're considering (or considered) names for your baby, did you come across any where you love the name itself, but you know or knew of someone with that name (even distantly or a long time ago) whom you didn't really care for, and you can't get past thinking of associating them with the name?  Lol. 

I have a bunch like that. I use to love the name Kendra, but now all I can think about when I hear/say it is Kendra Wilkinson/Basset.   Not that she's all that bad but it kind of changes the name for me.

Also the name Landon, I think the name itself is super cute, but I once knew of a little boy named Landon who was a terror and now that's what I associate the name with.  There are more but those are just two off the top of my head

It sucks when a perfectly good name is 'ruined' for you by someone else who has it.  ;)

Mommy to
Tyler (10/29/08)
and Lily (4/21/13)

Re: Names ruined for you?

• I like Alexa, but DH liked Alexis better.  Until I reminded him that Kanye West said, "...couldn't afford a car, so she named her kid Alexis" in "All Falls Down".  Then he agreed with me that Alexis was ruined for us.  D@mn you, Kanye!
    imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagebdcram:

I LOVED the name Gretchen for a girl but ManCram had a girlfriend with that name. Basically, almost every name that one of us liked the other had a reason (person) that made us hate it.

We are lucky we've never come across any terrible Jameses before. 

Mine is similar- I have always loved the name Julia. It is my great gma's name. However, it's also DH's ex-wife's name. Boo.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a teacher, so I have TONS of names that have been ruined for me!  On the good side, it made it easier to eliminate some names. . .
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Luckily nothing that applied in this situation - I had a dog named gracie and always loved the name Grace as a daughters name, but 1) we'r ehaving a boy, and 2) we agreed on a different name, Anna, which actually means "gracious."

But her'es something that stuck with me --

I had a really close friend named Greta who passed away when we were in college.  Later in life, a guy friend of ours had a kid and named her Greta.  When I asked him if he'd named his daughter after our friend, he said "No, and in fact, when my wife mentioned the name ot me, I instantly said, I have a sad story about that name.  But in naming my daughter Greta, now SHE is the first Greta I think of whenever i Hear the name."

I thought that was an interesting -- and positive -- take on it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagebdcram:

I LOVED the name Gretchen for a girl but ManCram had a girlfriend with that name. Basically, almost every name that one of us liked the other had a reason (person) that made us hate it.

I think James is our name too.  Do you plan on calling him James, or shortening it to Jim/Jimmy/Jamie?  This is the only thing we're kind of stuck on.  I don't love any of those nicknames, but James seems pretty formal for an everyday name.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagebdcram:

I'm the same way with the name Margo. I loved it but DH once had a (crazy) girlfriend with the name so it's a no go. DH is a coach and professor, so there's a ton of names that he's associated with former players and students. It makes it difficult.

• imagelovelyday39:
    imagebdcram:

Mine is similar- I have always loved the name Julia. It is my great gma's name. However, it's also DH's ex-wife's name. Boo.

Same here I love the named Emily forever, but DH had an ex right before me with that name.  So that's out.

Sara B BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Loved the name Cassidy until my SIL found her birth parents and met her half sister, who was named Cassidy. After meeting her I just couldn't use the name. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagedmalone1024:

I've always loved the name Christian, but we have a ton of Christoper's in my family (even got to the point where my cousin named her son Kristopher - just to be different). I don't wanna be "that mom" that's always correcting people, like, "No, it's Christian, not Chris" LOL

And Lillian because my SILs seriously fought over it. Funny that SIL#1 has 3 boys, SIL#2 had a boy, and SIL#3's husband hated it so none of them used it. I'm afraid if we did, we'd constantly get comments about them being jealous. One told me that, since her H didn't like it, the name was "available," like I had to ask permission... Good times...

I really like Lillian or Lily but one of my friends adopted a dog named Lily.  haha.  And when I mentioned the name to DS as an idea, the first thing he said was "Cwisto's dog is Lily!"     :)    It's not completely off my list, but the dog with the name does make it less desirable.  

Mommy to
    Tyler (10/29/08)
    and Lily (4/21/13)

• I've always loved the name Samantha. I thought it was classic and timeless. I've had it picked out at my little girl name since I was very young. Turns out BIL's only serious (and failed) relationship was with a Samantha. DH also dated a Samantha before we got together. With two strikes I knew I had to say goodbye to the name. 

THE DARK SIDE IT IS

and GBCB

BFP 8/2/12 EDD 4/9/13 Addie was delivered 1/4/13 at 26 weeks due to Eclampsia  

BFP 9/15/14 EDD 5/28/15 Please be our R A I N B O W take home baby BOY
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimageimageimage
    ~All AL always welcome~

• UGH!!  SO many names ruined!!!!! 

Between the names one of us liked that the other vetoed because of exes (Jeremiah, Caleb, Ava, Madison) or awful pop culture (Chloe - too close to Khloe Kardashian, Christian - 50 Shades, Emmet & Isabella - Twilight) to the names we like that have already been used by close friends/family . . . our list for this baby is a short one!

Myles was so pumped about the baby . . . until he figured out he'd have to share all his toys!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • Christian and Jared were two names I used to really like, but my Mom does daycare and two little hellions ruined the names.
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• I have always loved the name James, but that is my ex's name... the one that I dated for 4 years right before DH. I love the name Noah James.... but DH won't let me use that name.

I have also loved the name Kyra, but my cousin named her daughter Kiera and it's too close...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We liked a few names but then I vetod them.  I teach school (and have for 11 yrs) some of the names we liked reminded me of some "challenging" kids that I have taught over the years.  We finally just created our own name.
  • imageShel79:
    I'm a teacher, so I have TONS of names that have been ruined for me!nbsp; On the good side, it made it easier to eliminate some names. . .

This. But I actually want to give my son if this one is a boy Israel and I had a student with that name. But she was a girl so it's different, right?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Between our exs, friends kids, and FB... we barely have any names on our safe list!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a teacher, so lots of names are off limits. That said, somehow Matthew didn't ring any bells when DH suggested it.  When I went back to work, and ever since, I've taught many Matthews who are, shall we say "spirited". My son is most definitely a "Matthew". I can't decide if I doomed him to a life of being a "spirited" child by naming him Matthew, or if I instinctively named him Matthew because he was going to be  a "spirited" child. 
  • imageShel79:
    I'm a teacher, so I have TONS of names that have been ruined for me!  On the good side, it made it easier to eliminate some names. . .

Ditto this! We have struggled to find a name that is not common enough that it has been ruined by many children but that is not totally unique or bizarre.

BFP #1 2/20/12 - ectopic methotrexate @6w2d on 3/6/12 BFP#2 7/27/12 EDD 4/10/13- It's a boy! imageimagePhotobucketBabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebdcram:
    imageJSS1002:
    imagebdcram:

I think James is our name too.  Do you plan on calling him James, or shortening it to Jim/Jimmy/Jamie?  This is the only thing we're kind of stuck on.  I don't love any of those nicknames, but James seems pretty formal for an everyday name.

We will call him James. We hate all abbreviations.

If we end up going with it, that's what we'll do too. 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagesynchrosally:
    I'm a teacher, so lots of names are off limits. That said, somehow Matthew didn't ring any bells when DH suggested it. nbsp;When I went back to work, and ever since, I've taught many Matthews who are, shall we say "spirited". My son is most definitely a "Matthew". I can't decide if I doomed him to a life of being a "spirited" child by naming him Matthew, or if I instinctively named him Matthew because he was going to be nbsp;a "spirited" child.nbsp;

This made me chuckle. I was a teacher before having my son and I had a couple of "spirited" Matthews but being "spirited" is not the worst thing, right? They were all very sweet too.
  • I loved the name Ethan, then I met this one kid that ruined it. I loved the name Christian, still do, but with 50 shades of grey, that's totally out. I don't want people thinking that was a contributing reason for the name. We're having a girl though and my first place girl name is still untainted.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am a teacher as well. Unfortunately so many names have been ruined by the association to a child.  My husband is getting tired of me vetoing names based on former students!  That's the way it goes unfortunately.
  • I've always wanted to name a little girl Annelies Marie (probably spelled differently) because it's Anne Frank's full name. Sadly, my husband ruined it by telling me that everyone would call her "anal ease." He still says we could use it but I'm stuck. Thankfully, I'm really liking another name.
  • We were thinking Jackson, and Jack for short.  Then my sis ruined it with something that I can't get past.

"Jack, off the couch!" "Jack, off the dog!", etc.  Yeah, that's just not right.  I think that name is forever ruined for us.

"A man walking backwards does not see what lies ahead, only what he is leaving behind."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1-7/22/12 EDD: 4/8/13 It's a Boy!! Born 3/30/13
    BFP #2 2/3/14 EDD: 10/15/14 - My Chart

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"