3rd Trimester

Types of pads to bring/buy

I have already packed a huge thing of Always maxi/super long/overnight/could carry a gallon of water pads in my hospital bags, and I know the hospital gives you some as well.

I'm just not sure how many more packs of these I'll need and what different kinds I'll need ahead of time. Should I just get another gigantic pack and then wait and see how it goes? Or buy several different "sizes" all at once? I know everyone's different, but I'm a FTM and am really unsure about the postpartum ordeal, other than a few lists and articles I have read.

TIA :) 

Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Types of pads to bring/buy

• I would think a big pack will be enough initially.  The hospital will provide you with some for while you are there and maybe some to take home.  A lot will depend on your body, but a large pack should be enough to get you through a few days or maybe even a week, and by then you might need an outing anyway and can pick up some then.  I know by a week I was going stir crazy and just had to get out of the house.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WARNING!  Unhelpful, but related question follows: I got the advice that anything with dri-weave (or any of its various copyrighted spellings) is to be avoided as it can be a little too absorbent & the surface can be irritating, especially if stitches are involved.  The old school fluffy, ridiculously thick ones like one used to get from the coin dispenser in the junior high bathroom were strongly suggested, but Target didn't have anything that seemed like those.  

Has anyone seen those old school pads anywhere?  If so, what brand were they?  Even Kotex seemed all fancied up & modern. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMitsya:

WARNING!  Unhelpful, but related question follows: I got the advice that anything with dri-weave (or any of its various copyrighted spellings) is to be avoided as it can be a little too absorbent & the surface can be irritating, especially if stitches are involved.  The old school fluffy, ridiculously thick ones like one used to get from the coin dispenser in the junior high bathroom were strongly suggested, but Target didn't have anything that seemed like those.  

Has anyone seen those old school pads anywhere?  If so, what brand were they?  Even Kotex seemed all fancied up & modern. 

Hmm..I didn't know that. I would think the only ones that would be made like that now might be organic ones. Or you could google it. 

Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used Always super overnite pads for a long time with my first. But get the ones that are a little thinner but just as long too. I kept both in the bathroom and used whatever I needed for that day. I didn't breastfeed so I bled from having the baby then AF arrived shortly afterwards. So each day was a little different.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I ended up with a csection last time, but after sooo long of pushing, I agree that my usual Always pads were way too uncomfortable.  The dry weave stuff sticks to already sore lady bits.  I imagine stitches would have been a nightmare with that stuff.  I just bought plain old Kotex brand last time after the Always didn't work out.  This time, I think I'm going to buy Poise pads instead.  I've been wearing them for the occaisonal coughing induced "accident" and they are pretty absorbant and comfy without the dry weave. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My doula told me to buy a pack of maternity pads by Natracare, soak each one in witch hazel, and freeze them.  Some sort of makeshift ice pack that's supposed to feel very soothing.  So that's what I'm bringing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Honestly, everyone has different experiences after birth. In the hospital I never thought I'd graduate the ginormous pad, but by the time I got home I had very minimal bleeding and was just wearing liners. If you'll use pads again, get a few options to have at home, if not send DH out when you have a better feel for what you need.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My midwife specifies NOT Always brand, because more people end up with a rash from them than any other.  *shrug*
    DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
  • I have Up&Up and Always overnight Maxi pads. They are the thickest ones I could find. Once the big heavy bleeding goes down I will switch to my usual Kotex in the black box.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I believe I'll probably buy another pack of overnight, but another brand, then just get what I need later on as I see what's up down there (haha).

• Get Poise pads. Honestly, you don't need anything fancy. Believe me, you'll welcome the soft diapery feeling when your ladybits look like the prom scene from Carrie. Get Poise pads.
  • imagethepretzelchick:
    Get Poise pads. Honestly, you don't need anything fancy. Believe me, you'll welcome the soft diapery feeling when your ladybits look like the prom scene from Carrie. Get Poise pads.

Ditto Poise pads for the first few days.  Then I switched to Always. My bleeding lightened up faster than I thought it would last time.  I ended up switching to thinner pads and I gave the thicker ones to expecting friends.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had Tena and they were great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"