July 2013 Moms

(Rant) Will I ever get a decent night's sleep?

Sleeping on my stomach hurts (and after first trimester, that isn't an option either)

Sleeping on my back isn't always comfortable (can't do that after the first trimester either)

Sleeping on either side is re-aggravating an old muscle spasm injury. Can't take my muscle relaxers. Can't take any ibuprofen. Can't take any unisom.

WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO SLEEP?

Help me.... :-(

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: (Rant) Will I ever get a decent night's sleep?

• ((((I don't know)))))

Have you ever tried sleeping upright on a lounge chair? 

• I have to sleep on my back,.   side or stomach is not an option for me for medical reasons.  With my first pregnancy Dct told me I could sleep on my back till the end of the 2nd tri, after that I piled pillows behind my back and slept in a reclining position. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been having trouble sleeping.  My sister recommended the pregnancy body pillows.  I've decided to order one because I need my sleep.

• Memory foam=life saver. I got the 8" topper when pregnant with DD, and now I have the full memory foam mattress. I don't think I would have gotten any sleep without that. It's like sleeping on a cloud:) But around 3rd trimester, I was a nomad, I moved from couch, to chair, to bed, to futon etc throughout the night.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• You can actually sleep on your back and stomach as long as it's comfortable for you. I did both comfortably through the end of 2nd tri in my last pregnancy. And, I would start sleeping on my side and woke up on my back all through 3rd tri. Baby is just fine.

Body pillows and Tylenol PM are also helpful.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• You'll be able to get a decent night's sleep when your oldest can make breakfast for everyone else and your youngest is sleeping in a big kid bed. At least I hope so!

Honestly, I feel like God designed us to have restlessness during pregnancy as a way to ease us in to the sleepless nights ahead. :)

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I had a pregnancy pillow (snoogle) during my first pregnancy. It seemed like an extravagance at the time but It helped me a lot. I'm a tummy sleeper and I could kind of manage a comfortable side-sleeping position that felt like sleeping on my tummy. Sort of. ;)
    DD#1 - 12/09  
    DD#2 - 7/13  
    Baby #3 due 1/19, m/c 6/18  
    DD#3 due 12/19!

• In about 18 months? There's no good sleep while pregnant, either up to pee or can't get comfortable. But that sleep is awesome compared to when there's a newborn. Then, if you're breast feeding, even after baby starts sleeping the night you can't really sleep in b/c you'll feel like your breasts will explode. I'm just counting on 21 months of bad sleep. 9 months of pregnancy plus a year of nursing. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageiriscarmendiaz:

Sleeping on my stomach hurts (and after first trimester, that isn't an option either)

Sleeping on my back isn't always comfortable (can't do that after the first trimester either)

Sleeping on either side is re-aggravating an old muscle spasm injury. Can't take my muscle relaxers. Can't take any ibuprofen. Can't take any unisom.

WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO SLEEP?

Help me.... :-(

Um... do you really want me to answer this? ;)

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Actually you can sleep however you feel comfortable. I slept on my stomach until 20+ weeks last time because the baby is still quite small and you are squishing it. As for your back you can sleep that way until almost the very end. The artery thing is only when the baby is large and almost full weight. I slept on my back and both sides the whole time with no ill effects. Sleep how you want.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Its going to be awhile. I'm a stomach sleeper too and even after the birth of my son i couldn't go back to sleeping on my tummy because my boobs were so big and full.
    Why can't you take unisom?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• My DH bought me a snoogle. Some people said its a waste, but I LOVE mine! And it's the best sleep I've ever had. I'm normally a back sleeper. But with me snoogle it's most comfortable to sleep on my side, or twist it up, and sleep in the "sitting up" position. You might consider trying it!

Also, why can't you take unisom? My obgyn said its fine.
    Waiting on July 4th, 2013!!!!!
  • I don't have a lounge chair, but today I fell asleep on my knees with my torso on the armchair. Super-flattering.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't been able to find on in Target, I'm going to have to look online for one. Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for that. I read in a few places that I wasn't supposed to sleep on my back after the first trimester, so I was getting worried. Thanks a bunch!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pillows pillows pillows... I have been struggling as well, I have chronic pain in my neck and arms and sleeping on my side is most comfortable usually but lately I have been super restless and anxious my body won't settle, the only way I get comfortable is ton of pillows... Hang in there :
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm really sorry to tell you this, but you won't be getting the same kind of restful sleep you are used to from before pregnancy for a very very long time. Especially if you want to have more than one kid. 

There is hope though. You learn to function on whatever you get. Its not pleasant and yeah sometimes its really really tiring. You'll make it. I promise.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• And I agree- why can't you take Unisom? My OB recommended it to pair with Vitamin B6 for nausea, and at night for sleep. There are two different kinds, I can't remember which one is ok. Doxy-something or other.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Short answer...never again. ;) I kid, I kid.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #1 5/07/11, DS 01/19/12
    BFP #2 08/09/12, M/C 08/10/12
    BFP #3 10/30/12, EDD 07/11/12...please stick!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"