February 2013 Moms

Pregnancy Carpal Tunnel anyone

I am having horrible wrist pains and numbness in my hands to the point that it is waking me up at night. I have tried wearing wrist braces when I go to bed and try wrist exercises. My OB said it was pregnancy related carpal tunnel and unfortunaetly there wasn't anything she can do about it and it should go away shortly after delivery!

So my question.... is anyone else dealing with this and what have you found for relief?!?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Pregnancy Carpal Tunnel anyone

• I had it really bad with my son and it has flared up a few times during this pregnancy as well.  The brace really helped but I wore it all the time, not just at night.  When my hand bothers me now I wear it all the time too.  I only have it in my right hand/wrist which is weird.  It certainly stinks and I am sorry you are having to deal with it.

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would wear it all the time but I work in health care and I am not allowed to have them on when I am in clinic doing patient care which is all the time! Otherwise when I am at home I have the braces on!

Thanks!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh I have it really bad too. I guess I'm lucky though because other than that I have had a very easy pregnancy. It sucks though, every morning it hurts worse!
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • I had it really bad with my son and haven't been too bad this time around but it does seem to be flaring up again.  I used a brace with him but it didn't really help.  Good news is that it does go away after delivery!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have it as well and it's mainly in my right hand. Are you just wearing a brace or wearing a wrist immobilizer? It needs to be the latter. Your doctor is right though, other than a wrist immobilizer there is nothing that can be done and hopefully it goes away for you after pregnancy (typically it does since it's caused my the pregnancy swelling).

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have CTS, not pregnancy related.  So far, the only thing that helps is CTS specific wrist braces.  Maybe icing it will help, but in my case, I can't physically hold cold things, it hurts. 

Also, wrist exercises make it worse for me, so maybe try a few days without them and see if that helps?

• It's the immobilizer brace! It helps when I can wear it which is from the time I get home till I go to work!!

I have it mostly in my right hand to and I think it's because I am right handed. My OB said my hands are swelling but thank God it's not pre-e related and I don't have any of those problems!!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had it in both wrists with DS.  Wear braces all the time, day and night.  Watching your salt intake and drinking more water can also help reduce swelling.  If you do a lot of repetitive motion at work, try resting more in the evenings (like less bumping if you type a lot!) :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"