Breastfeeding

Help!

My daughter (5 months) is absolutely insatiable!  When I'm at home, I can keep up with her and keep her satisfied (barely...a lot of the time she sucks and then pulls off to cry until there's a letdown and then she's happy).  But at work?  I only get two pump breaks and I'm lucky to get 8 oz during the almost 9 hours I'm out of the house.  My husband tries to console her and hold her off until I get home but we're having to give her formula more and more often while I'm at work!  I forgot my milk in my work fridge just one day and I brought home two days worth the next day and she got through it in just one day of me being at work!!  That was almost 15 oz!  

I'm at my wits end!  She's had the occasional puree'd bananas but I don't want that to be a normal thing until she's a bit older.  I hate when she has to have formula but I just can't seem to get more milk when I'm at work!  I've tried the tea, I've tried filling my office with pictures of her, but it just doesn't seem to work...

Ideas are so welcome!  I wanted to breastfeed her until she was one but if she starts getting formula all day when I'm at work then it's only a matter of time before my supply won't be able to keep up with her when I'm at home!

Help!! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help!

• Have you tried to pump after the first AM feed? I get the most out then. 6-7 ounces.  Between 3-5 am. This is the only way I get enough at work 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 8 ounces is pretty good from two pumping sessions! You're doing a great job, but I can understand how frustrating it is. Try not to get stressed out about it, it might cause your milk supply to drop. Is baby still nursing during the night? If not, make sure to throw a pumping session in there. Have you tried any herbs? They can help your supply a lot! I've been using capsules from breastfeedingherbs.com and I've seen a good increase in my pumping ounces. You might want to try those as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree that 8oz is good for two pump sessions.  Is there any way you can add another session?  What about pumping on the way to/from work or adding in a pump after you nurse in the morning?

Is she nursing at night?  If not, I would at least do a dream feed and also encourage multiple nursing sessions in the evening - more time at the breast will mean more milk overall. 

• The only real way to increase your supply at work is to pump longer and more frequently.  Try to add another session, and if she STTN, try to pump when she's in bed so you can have more milk for the next day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"