2nd Trimester

Birth Control after Baby?!?!?!

Have you ladies decided if your going to use Birth Control ( any form) after your LO is born? If so are you planing to take the pill or etc...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Birth Control after Baby?!?!?!

• My OB discussed birth control at the 6 week post-partum check up. I went back on the pill last time and probably will this time as well.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I plan to Breast feed and I heard that I will be more fertile while breastfeeding. Before I became pregnant I used the IUD and planned to use it again until the commercials about women having problems. I too had a problem and that was the reason it was removed.

I haven't made a choice on what I plan to use but I'm using some form. I don't think it will be the pill

• Loading the player...
  • I've been considering Mirena.  Likely I'll go back to charting cycles and just trying to avoid.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have gone back on the mini pill both times and probably will again. It's safe while breastfeeding and I can quit as soon as DH gets snipped.  
  • imagemrsjjohnson2010:

I plan to Breast feed and I heard that I will be more fertile while breastfeeding. Before I became pregnant I used the IUD and planned to use it again until the commercials about women having problems. I too had a problem and that was the reason it was removed.

I haven't made a choice on what I plan to use but I'm using some form. I don't think it will be the pill

You're not more fertile when BFing.  It can stop you from getting your period, but not necessarily ovulating, so it's harder to predict when you O. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh man, the mini pill scares me.  I'm sooooooo not good at taking something the same exact time every day, especially with a newborn.

I had the Mirena last time and loved it, not sure what our insurance covers this time since we have moved. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagesucrets4:
    imagemrsjjohnson2010:

I plan to Breast feed and I heard that I will be more fertile while breastfeeding. Before I became pregnant I used the IUD and planned to use it again until the commercials about women having problems. I too had a problem and that was the reason it was removed.

You're not more fertile when BFing.  It can stop you from getting your period, but not necessarily ovulating, so it's harder to predict when you O. 

Great to know! Old wise tale! I know so many women who got pregnant while breastfeeding.

I have PCOS so I usually never know when Im O ! I hope after LO things change!

• imageSagen:
    Mini pill while nursing, nuva ring after

Probably this but I'm very nervous about getting KU'd on the mini pill.  I had a bad experience with Mirena so I won't go that route again. 

• I opted out of any form of birth control besides condoms. The only type I have used since I was 18. My husband and I have been together since 16 as high school sweethearts. It took 11 months to get pregnant with my son, it took 13 months to get pregnant with this little boy. I have had such horrible reactions to birth control that I was afraid to try anything new. My previous doctor was less than thrilled with my choice of using only condoms. My current clinic says if it has worked for 12 years for me, that's just fine. We know the risk, it could break or fail but then so does birth control. I think I am done having kids now but we will leave the option open for one more after. My husband would love to have 3. I may be convinced one day.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Because I got pregnant on the pill, this is a huge debate. I am thinking an IUD. My BF won't trust the pill anymore.
  • After DS1 & DS2, we only used condoms when I was breastfeeding.  This wasn't too inconvenient though, because we rarely had sex.  Poor DH!

After I was done bfing DS1, I went back on the pill for a short time before we decided to TTC again.  After I was done bfing DS2, I went on the pill for awhile, but then stopped and we just used condoms for a long time before I was ready to TTC again.

This time, I will be having my tubes tied, so no need to worry about other birth control (I hope!).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I had Mirena last time and loved it. I'd like to get it again but DH has some reservations after doing more research so we will see.
  • i was on nuva ring before getting pregnant, and never had issues with it. plus its more convenient, i only have to worry about it once a month. 
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • I didn't take anything after my first two. We charted and avoided. It didn't work out the way we planned the first time, but it did work this time. We are done after this baby so DH will be getting snipped and I won't be taking anything at all. Woohoo! lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I plan on charting and being careful for the first year. This is our first and we would like a second sooner than later (and then be done). IF we have an ooops baby before we plan it will be okay. I went off the nuva ring for a year before we tried to get preggo and didn't have a slip. Then we started trying it still took quite a few months before we were successful.

After number 2 I will probably go back on the nuva ring after breast feeding. I think two will be it for us but hubby won't get snipped until we've had two for a year... just to make sure. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSagen:
    Mini pill while nursing, nuva ring after.

This. But I'll only be on hormonal BC for a couple years before H gets snipped. Hormones make my migraines about ten times worse and I can't handle it long term. We just want to make sure we're okay with just two kids before he has the procedure.

BFing doesn't make you more fertile. You generally won't get our your period for six to twelve months if BFing regularly. But it can be sooner and extra precautions should be taken, either mini pill or condoms, to be safe. The first ovulation happens before the first period.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I was on birth control for about 4 years with my husband before we got married, and when I went off my body freaked out. My hormones went completely crazy. I had horrible acne (first in my life) because of a testosterone spike. I had 3 periods for a year. We went off when we got married, used no birth control, and it took longer then a year to get regular and then get pregnant.

So, needless to say I will not be going on birth control again. We are happy with whatever baby blessings we get, and probably won't start to really consider birth control again unless we have more then 5. We both want a large family!

• I had a lot of problems while being on birth control, so I'm just going to chart and avoid. 
    BabyFetus Ticker image Anniversary FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family
  • Love the Nuvaring!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Most definitely getting another IUD.  It was extremely convenient for me and I had no problems getting pregnant after getting it removed.  I know this is not the case for everyone, though. 

• I'm going to use the mini pill after the baby is born BC I will hopefully be breastfeeding. That's what I did with DS.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I ebf till 6 mo solids, then still fully bf till 13 months. I was on a low hormone birth control and dh never wore any protection or pulled out. Sorry to be so blunt just saying. We had no issues the whole time and never had an oops. Our oops came after being on my reg bcp for almost a year and then got a surprise baby:) The low dose worked great and my supply was great. Just kept taking my vitamins, drank lots of water adn ate enough
  • my dh was the one who said he doesn't want to use anything.  He said if it happens again then it happens again.  While I would like my dd to be at least 1 before I have my 2nd I have to weigh my options.  We don't do it all that often as it is now (we have very different schedules) so I can only imagine how infrequently it will be happening after my dd is born.  If anything I am thinking the maybe the nuvaring.  Im not sure though

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DH and I have decided to go back on the pill again after the baby. We will see what is ok while breast feeding and maybe we will chart it and avoid until I am done breastfeeding. I have taken the pill for years and when I went off it I was fine for the most part. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • DH has been given an ultimatum, either he makes an appointment to get snipped or I'm calling in my horse vet. 

I am the 1% that managed to get pregnant while on the pill and breastfeeding.  Not only did I get pregnant, I conceived triplets!  We are not taking chances with hormonal BC again. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Prbably just condoms / charting. 

The pill doesn't agree with me, and I'm not interested in an IUD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagejglenn4:
    Love the Nuvaring!

Going to try the Nuvaring! If it doesn't work out I'm going to get the Implanon (tiny matchstick resembling, upper arm implant). Afraid of IUDs for some reason. Used the Patch for a year with no probs. It was VERY effective but I gained about 25 lbs on it. Can't do that again. Lol. Won't remember to take a pill everyday. Schedule is wayyyy too hectic.

• My doc gave me the low dose pill at my 6 week checkup and it affected my supply. Then I switched to the mini pill and thought things were fine. Turns out that too affected my supply and by 8/9 months I had nothing left (but I didn't realize this until 11 months). I'm not sure what I will do this time but I will not be taking the pill again. I'm still dealing with some of the repercussions of our BFing issues and my son is 2.5 yrs old. 
  • no, I am not planning to. I had IF issues and was on BC for TONS of years prior to TTC. I am just going to take what comes as a blessing. Chances are good we will have to do another IUI for #2.

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imageJSS1002:

Prbably just condoms / charting. 

The pill doesn't agree with me, and I'm not interested in an IUD.

This.  I'm a bit of a crazy hippie who has concerns about hormonal birth control and what it does to our bodies.  We only used condoms for the ten years prior to this baby and never had an issue.  We want more kids after this anyways, so if we have one a little earlier than planned, no big deal.  After we're done having kids (we probably want 3), DH will get snipped.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • Mirena again, even though DH plans to get snipped.  I LOVED not having a period while I had it in, so another 5 years of no period sounds good to me!
  • Hello Ladies, this too has been a concern of mine, I was on the shot after DD for a while, but gained alot of weight. I went to Mirena and thought it was great and planned on using it again once DS was born, but the commercials have scared me and now I dont know what to do. I know I dont want the shot again cause I dont want the extra weight. Really haven't looked into any other options. I know I enjoyed not having a monthly cycle wlth either of them and would definitely want something that will keep Aunt Flo at bay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"