Breastfeeding

Nipple shells?

Hi Ladies - I've been using nipple shells for about a week now to help draw out my nipples.  They're working great but would love to look forward to moving on from them.  Anyone used them before and have some advice for stopping use?  Could use some encouraging stories ...

Re: Nipple shells?

• I used them and found they drew out the nipple but once I took them off the nipple went flat again pretty quickly.  I stopped using them pretty much cold turkey because I was tired of dealing with them.  The big thing that helped me was to nursing my LO.  Over time she has drawn out my nipples and they are no longer as flat as they were. 
  • I don't have flat/inverted nipples I used the nipple shell out of desperation. My daughter would not latch and was losing weight. I visited my local lactation consultant and began nursing without it. She weaned herself within 2 days and we have moved on : good luck !
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you currently pregnant and in your 3rd trimester? Then the shells are the best thing available, as far as I know. If you're earlier in your pregnancy or have already delivered, you may want to consider the Avent Niplette. I'm finding that it was much more effective at improving my nipples. With the niplette, after about 3 months of regular use, I went from two inverted nipples to one inverted and one flat. By the end, after a day of use of the niplette, I had two fairly normal sized nipples. (They'd retract from there, going back to inverted/flat until the next time I used the niplette.)

Unfortunately, you're not supposed to use the niplette in the 3rd trimester, which I'm currently in. Now that I've switched to the breast shells, after a day of use one side looks like it has a shallow nipple and the other looks pretty flat, and then they retract further from there as time passes.  Still better than nothing, but not nearly as much improvement.

• imagemadisonbradford94:
    I don't have flat/inverted nipples I used the nipple shell out of desperation. My daughter would not latch and was losing weight. I visited my local lactation consultant and began nursing without it. She weaned herself within 2 days and we have moved on : good luck !

Are you talking about a nipple shell or a nipple shield? It sounds like you mean the shield. That's a different piece of equipment with a different purpose. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"