June 2013 Moms

Dogs pee in the house!

I have two chihuahuas and they both pee in the house. They are healthy, we take them out regularly, and they still just keep going in the house. I can't take it!! Help please!

Re: Dogs pee in the house!

• crate training
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If the vet has confirmed they are fine, try taking them out more often.

Are they crate trained? That's how I housebroke my dogs.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • They are crated when we aren't home. They are only having accidents when we are in the house. We watch them as much as possible but they always seem to sneak away
  • Let them out more often or call the vet.
  • If you take them out frequently, call the vet. They could have issues even if you think they are fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have a small dog and she has to be let out a LOT. Are you talking about during the day while you are gone? I'd put them in crates while you are out of the house and when you are home just letting them out a lot.

I do know some dogs will pee in the house or a lot if they are sick, have a UTI etc so if you haven't got them checked out I would.

Good luck!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • My dog is crate trained, very house broke and has gone through obedience school. He sometimes will pee or poop out of spite though.
    Me(26)DH(33)
    TTC for #1 since Jan 2010
    BFP #1 Oct 1 2010 MC Oct 3 2010
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011
    3 rounds of Clomid all BFN
    BFP #2 10/12/12 Beta #1 45.1 Beta #2 160.7 * 2/27 diagnosed with IEF in utero.
    Dalaney born @ 35w2d via emergency C-section due to Pre-E after 30 hrs of labor & losing her HB twice. She weighed 5lbs 8oz & was 19in long on May 26th 2013 @ 605am

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers   image

"Severe truth is expressed with some bitterness."
  • imageminicheezburg:
    My dog is crate trained, very house broke and has gone through obedience school. He sometimes will pee or poop out of spite though.

I don't think dogs think like that. Opinion.
  • imageemolm:
    imageminicheezburg:
    My dog is crate trained, very house broke and has gone through obedience school. He sometimes will pee or poop out of spite though.
    I don't think dogs think like that. Opinion.

Well you can think that but it's quite interesting how it works.

Me(26)DH(33)
    TTC for #1 since Jan 2010
    BFP #1 Oct 1 2010 MC Oct 3 2010
    DX PCOS w/ AO Nov 2011
    3 rounds of Clomid all BFN
    BFP #2 10/12/12 Beta #1 45.1 Beta #2 160.7 * 2/27 diagnosed with IEF in utero.
    Dalaney born @ 35w2d via emergency C-section due to Pre-E after 30 hrs of labor & losing her HB twice. She weighed 5lbs 8oz & was 19in long on May 26th 2013 @ 605am

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers   image

"Severe truth is expressed with some bitterness."
  • My parents have a chihuahua and they aren't typically big outdoors dogs - so my parents use the training potty pads and he goes on that. He is 10 years old and he knows to go 1 and 2 on it...they don't stink and you throw it away at the end of the day - you just have to clean the number 2 up obv.

May wanna try that

BabyFetus Ticker

• You need to get something to neutralize the scent markers that are there. If it smells like a bathroom to them they will use it as such. A lot of cleaners have urea which encourages them to mark that spot with their own scent. Once you've gotten rid of their scent taking them out more often should work.

• imageBonjuju:
    You need to get something to neutralize the scent markers that are there. If it smells like a bathroom to them they will use it as such. A lot of cleaners have urea which encourages them to mark that spot with their own scent. Once you've gotten rid of their scent taking them out more often should work.

This. I used Nature's Miracle and the rug doctor brand urine eliminator spray. Use COLD water to clean the spots. Warm or hot water fuses the protein to the carpet whereas cold water breaks the protein down and helps lift it from the carpet.

Chances are, they're going in the house so much bc they can still smell their own scent and it's a familiar place to go.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageBonjuju:
    You need to get something to neutralize the scent markers that are there. If it smells like a bathroom to them they will use it as such. A lot of cleaners have urea which encourages them to mark that spot with their own scent. Once you've gotten rid of their scent taking them out more often should work.

I've been using deodorizer that eliminates the pets scents, but we JUST moved in so they havent had a chance to leave their scent and return to it yet.
    Maybe it's just the transition from the move
  • imageambah:
    My parents have a chihuahua and they aren't typically big outdoors dogs so my parents use the training potty pads and he goes on that. He is 10 years old and he knows to go 1 and 2 on it...they don't stink and you throw it away at the end of the day you just have to clean the number 2 up obv.
    May wanna try that

If they don't get accustomed to it at this new house we'll try the pads again. They were'nt to keen on using them before, but it's worth a try!
  • I'll second the dogs peeing out of spite thing :-) Maybe not "spite" exactly, but trying to prove they are the alpha in charge...definitely.    

Me: Endometriosis, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Estrogen Dominance, Irregular Cycles
    DH:  100% Abnormal Sperm Morphology
     BFP #1 (Surprise!)  "Monkey"- 09/16/2006. DS born 06/01/2007.   
    BFP #2  "Quinn" EDD 06/21/13- MMC @ 8 weeks - Disc. 12/12/12 @ 13w0d 
    BFP #3  "Luna" EDD 03/31/14- MC 07/29/13 @ 5 w0d 
    BFP #4  "Star" EDD 07/06/14- MC 11/28/13 @ 8 weeks
    BFP #5 "Baby J"- 02/07/14. DS born 10/29/2014 My Rainbow!
    ~Everyone Welcome~

• I can't believe you posted this today - I was just Google searching this a few hours ago. We have a 3 year old chihuahua that I'm about on my last straw with. He marks everything he gets a chance to - papers on the floor, furniture, anything! We did start using belly bands with him - they're fabric bands that go around his middle and penis. They actually work really well, you put a sanitary pad in them to absorb the urine and just keep changing it out. It doesn't look too silly, definitely not as ridiculus as a full on dog diaper. I just wish I could get him trained so we didn't constantly have to be changing a dog pee soaked pad. And so I didn't have to freak out when my eight year old or husband lets him run around the house without it :) From what I've read, though, it's a very common problem with male chihuahuas and incredibly difficult, or impossible, to fix completely. We'll probably continue with the belly bands for now, I'm too tired to try the intensive training that most sites recommended.
    TTC#2 for 13 months - 5th round of clomid did it! BFP 10/2/12 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh!!!! So frustrated with this right now. It's driving me insane. I have a shihtzu and he will go outside and come right in and pee and mark everywhere. I told him he is about to earn a one way ticket out the front door. We crate when we leave and at night we put puppy pad down in our room and he will pee on that in the middle of the night. During the day as long as I keep him contained to the room I am in he won't go in the house but the minute I let him roam or leave him alone he goes.

I will agree with the spite thing too. I had a dog that when my son wasn't giving him the attention he wanted would pee everywhere. But as long as my son let him in his room and played with him he was the best boy. I also have a lab who will run to my room and jump in my bed and roll in it if we leave our door open when we leave the house. He knows he is not allowed on our bed and never gets in it when we are home. We have to give them more credit then we do..,lol
  • Um, I have 2 dogs that per out out of spite. I've legitimately caught my one peeing on our bed at our old place not long after we got the other dog. She was walked very often...so really there is no explanation. My other one will pull laundry out of the hamper occassionally and per on it to show her dissatisfaction. Even if she's been out 3 times before 8am. I believe it's spiteful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebethandivy:
    From what I've read, though, it's a very common problem with male chihuahuas and incredibly difficult, or impossible, to fix completely.

It's probably a combination of factors. People tend to treat their small lap dogs as children, which the dogs perceive as making them alpha AND that the members of their "pack" are weak and need protecting. This also would increase aggressive behaviors in the dogs, such as barking, biting or growling towards strangers. Also, people don't always realize the importance of neutering male dogs (or guys think "I can't chop off my puppy's balls! The humanity!"). Yes, spaying is incredibly important so you don't end up with a litter of pups, however cute, but neutering male dogs decreases their aggression and desire to mark. Oh, and once your dog starts marking, it's too late to curb those behaviors simply by neutering. Neutering also helps prevent your dogs from running off when they smell a female in heat, helps them calm down sooner, and makes them less rebellious against who should be the alpha of their "pack".

All that said, have the vet check them out for UTIs or kidney infections or other maladies, clean the areas where they go as best as possible with something like Nature's Miracle (which works wonders), consider putting up baby gates so they can't wander out of your sight, and contact a dog trainer to see if they have any recommendations for things you can do or change in your daily routine to see if their behavior improves. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageaprilwarmbir:
    crate training

This 

**Child and Loss Mentioned**

~~~God's Promises are Good and True! ~~~

Baby boy born 6/3/13 after 13 cycles :)
    Angel Baby Loss November 2018.
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageaprilwarmbir:
    crate training

This