March 2013 Moms

Glucose Test...

I'm a little nervous because someone on another board posted about their glucose test horror story and I'm afraid of taking it now. She said she almost fainted and threw up and all that fun stuff. I just worry because I've had my fair share of fainting and passing out after drinking things when I go for my tests for my Crohns Disease. Anyone else with bad experiences? Anyone who can ease my mind? Lol
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Glucose Test...

• I'd say it sucks but it's not the worst thing that's going to happen to you while you're pregnant. I cannot drink things quickly and I hate really sugary stuff, so I was not looking forward to the glucose test the first time around. I did feel nauseous after drinking it, and I'm not really looking forward to it this time around, but I wouldn't stress too much. I had to eat immediately after I left, though. Otherwise I think I would've puked on the carride home. Bring some crackers or some other snack and eat it as soon as you can.
  • I haven't done mine yet this pregnancy, bit last time I remember feeling a little quesy, but nothing terrible. I hated waiting to have my blood drawn. That is one long hour sitting there waiting! This time I'm bringing a snack for after, and a book.
  • Loading the player...
  • My 1 hour was fine, but I almost passed out about 30 min into the 3 hour with dd1. I was okay and passed but I'm glad I had dh drive me and pick me up.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I didn't get sick from the 1 hour test (a 50g glucose drink) but when I drank the 100g glucose drink for the 3 hour test I felt terrible for an hour.  Ask the lab if you can lie down while you wait to have your blood drawn, that may help to just lay in a dark, quiet place.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did my one hour this morning. Wasn't bad at all. The liquid I drank was like flat orange soda. I did feel nauseous the first 510 minutes after but my testing facility had a quiet room with awesome rocking recliners and its own TV. So I just relaxed and closed my eyes. I'm expecting to fail because of symptoms I have of GD, including seeing spots after an hour. But once I ate, I was good to go. Fast over night, take it first thing in the morning. :
  • Trust me, it's not as bad as you think it will be.  I did mine yesterday morning and was a nervous wreck because I had heard the same horror stories.  Of course, it's different for everyone, but I honestly didn't think it was bad at all.  I had the orange flavored drink.  It comes in a little bottle with a twist off cap that looks like a mini coke bottle.  I was expecting some thick, nasty, syrupy grossness, but it was actually quite pleasant.  It tasted like a flat HI-C or something like that.  After I drank it, I had my regular appointment, and, by the time it was over, I only had to wait 10  minutes for my blood draw.  They took 2 tubes, then I was out the door.  And not even 10 minutes ago, my nurse called to tell me my blood was normal.  It was 115, with the cutoff being 130.  YAY!  So please don't stress out too much about it; it won't be as bad as you're expecting.  One caveat: I didn't eat a carb for 2 days prior, just to make sure Thanksgiving was out of my system.  This probably had nothing to do with my passing, but it made my feel better :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!  You're going to be great!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The worst part was the taste of the drink - for me, like flat sprite with a chemical aftertaste.  See if you can drink it icy cold, that way you don't taste it so much!

I was lucky that my OB let me take it home at the previous appt and drink it before arriving at the office. That being said, I drank it on the subway - yuck! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't understand this. They only give you 5 minutes to drink it and then start the timer. They just take people's word?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    I don't understand this. They only give you 5 minutes to drink it and then start the timer. They just take people's word?

Yes.  Thats how my OB's office does it, and most others in our area.

And ditto PPs, its not that bad.  I didnt have a single effect last time around, hoping this time is the same. 

• imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    I don't understand this. They only give you 5 minutes to drink it and then start the timer. They just take people's word?

My Dr. gave me 7 minutes to drink it and I had to take them the empty bottle so they could write down my time as soon as I was done...

• I've done the one hour twice and the three hour twice, and it wasn't that bad for me.  Even with the three hour, I only felt a little off about half an hour after the drink, once the sugar started to kick in.
  • That is if you drink it in the office, she said she drank it on the subway. So they trust the time you give them? Strange.
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    That is if you drink it in the office, she said she drank it on the subway. So they trust the time you give them? Strange.

Why wouldn't they trust me?  I didn't fast before hand or try any of the other "tricks" to try to pass, I just followed my OB's instructions. If I didn't follow their instructions I would be responsible for misdiagnosing something that could put my pregnancy at risk.

It takes nearly an hour to get to my OB's office from work, and I didn't want to risk getting trapped underground if there was a delay with the subway.  The flobatomist took my blood exactly 1 hr to the minute past the time I recorded having the drink. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageCBomback:

imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    That is if you drink it in the office, she said she drank it on the subway. So they trust the time you give them? Strange.

Why wouldn't they trust me?  I didn't fast before hand or try any of the other "tricks" to try to pass, I just followed my OB's instructions. If I didn't follow their instructions I would be responsible for misdiagnosing something that could put my pregnancy at risk.

It takes nearly an hour to get to my OB's office from work, and I didn't want to risk getting trapped underground if there was a delay with the subway.
     The flobatomist took my blood exactly 1 hr to the minute past the time I recorded having the drink. 

Just saying the lab I go to makes you drink it there with in 5 minutes to be sure it is accurate.
  • Mine too. I did A 3 hr in June in one hospital. I did a 1 hour, 3 hour and doing another 3 hour in a few weeks and this doctor.

One made me sit back in the lab. It was weird because they mixed it up. They said I had 5. It took me like 8 and eating a few ice chips to get it down.

The last one took me 12? Apparently they prefer 5 minutes top it has to be in 20. Because my last one took me like 19 1/2 minutes and I almost threw up 6 times. They stuck me in the back of the lab by the bathroom :

They said they make people drink it there because some people have bad reactions to it like passing out. I was close last time.

Most people in the waiting Dribk it in under a minute. So you will probably be fine. I am for sure not the norm. The lab people look at me like I'm crazy
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"