1st Trimester

Thyroid Concerns & First Appointment

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 15 months. I went to a  new gyno last week for my annual and she was concerned about my thyroid. She sent me for a thyroid ultrasound later in the week. Over the weekend we did a test and found out we were pregnant. 

I finally got in touch with my doctor's office today - The nurse tells me that the results of my ultrasound show that I have an enlarged thyroid, and it's overactive. She is having an endocrinologist call me to schedule an appointment when they can fit me in.

I scheduled my first appointment with my ob on 1/15/12 as that's the earliest they can get me in. Which would mean I would be about 11 weeks in when they first see me.

I have to admit, I am pretty scared. Has anyone else had experiences with thyroid issues (I know that they've been responsible for 2 of my SIL's miscarriages)?

Does 11 weeks seem really long for the first appointment? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thyroid Concerns & First Appointment

• I have hypo thyroid condition and when it comes to pregnancy under or over active thyroid can be a problem. Good thing is you are aware and can do something about it. I would recommend to NOT wait, its a simple blood test. Here is a link that will give you more information for the thyroid levels by trimesters.

https://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/a/2012-Hypothyroidism-Guidelines-Published.htm

Good Luck and God Bless!

• I am seven weeks pregnant and have thyroid issues as well. I had a miscarriage in the spring, but I have no idea if this had anything to do with it. (It could have just as likely been a chromosomal issue.) After the miscarriage (but not because of it), I switched to a different OB/GYN. My new OB/GYN tested my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels, and they were too high. (This was a shock for me because I am at a very healthy weight.) As a result, she put me on medication to bring down my TSH levels to an appropriate level. Shortly after, I discovered that I was pregnant again. My first exam was at the six-week mark, during which she measured the baby and located the heartbeat. I understand that it is very common for many OBs to only schedule your first visit when you're eight to eleven weeks pregnant. This is the point when they should absolutely be able to locate a heartbeat and to do genetic testing (if you desire).

My advice to you is to see the endocrinologist as soon as humanly possible to get your thyroid issues under control. Be sure to mention to the endocrinologist that you are pregnant, so that they can take that into consideration when designing your treatment (if necessary). But, rest assured that most thyroid medications are safe during pregnancy.  Your endocrinologist can help you more than the OB at this stage of the pregnancy.  There is not much an OB can tell about the thyroid's affect on the baby at this point.

If, however, it will drive you nuts to wait until your 11th week, I'd consider calling the doctor's office and expressing your desire to come in earlier. If they aren't amenable, you may even want to shop around for a different OB who will see you earlier if it will help you relax a bit. I know that seeing the heartbeat at 6 weeks definitely gave me some relief. From what I understand from friends with children, your first pregnancy is always fraught with worry. Best of luck to you, and I hope you're able to relax a bit after meeting with the endocrinologist.         

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you all very much. If the endocrinologist doesn't call me today, I will call tomorrow to schedule the appointment and make sure they know I am pregnant. I am definitely worried, but DH keeps reminding me how calm I need to be right now, that helps... Gotta love a good husband. I guess I should just be thankful that my doctor happened to discover it last week and I can be proactive about it now instead of not knowing...

Prayers to all of you for a healthy pregnancy... 

• imageMkWaltrip15:
    Thank you all very much. If thenbsp;endocrinologistnbsp;doesn't call me today, I will call tomorrow to schedule the appointment and make sure they know I am pregnant. I am definitely worried, but DH keeps reminding me how calm I need to be right now, that helps... Gotta love a good husband. I guess I should just be thankful that my doctor happened to discover it last week and I can be proactive about it now instead of not knowing...Prayers to all of you for a healthy pregnancy...nbsp;

Im not saying thats its right but I also will be 11 weeks by the timr I have my appointment and meet with the endocrinologist. ..I trust that my levels werent that bad because they didnt seem to concerned but I do know mine is under active..
  • Best of luck on your appointments too.... I feel a tad better knowing that you and others on other boards are having their first appt that late too...

• I have the same problem. They will give you medication and you will be all right. It was probably not caused from the pregnancy. If you're worried about being 11 weeks i would go to a different doctor. I will be having my second appointment and i will be 11 weeks. They pretty much just do blood work the first appointment and asking questions but they will do the same thing in the second appointment. 
  • I'm kinda on the same situation, hypotyroid,  already under treatment (having t3 and t4 pills and diet) but scared to death that there might be something tricky. my next appointment is on dec 15th both for my tyroid control and my 12 week 4d ultrasound (NST). xox

My Angel went back to the Arms of God at 8w2d on Oct. 23rd 2010... Got Positive PT on Oct 12 2012! Doing my Best to make it work this 2nd chance I was Given. Thx God!! BabyFetus Ticker
    Gian Maria was born at 38 weeks on June 2nd,
    Makes my dreams come true everyday!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"