December 2012 Moms

Am I wrong?

So I was having a conversation with one of my friends and we were talking about people coming to my house to visit after baby is here. Well she seems to think EVERYONE can come over and visit. My response to her was "Well i'm not gonna let A LOT of people come visit until i'm feeling better and healed. Plus it's flu season and I would rather not have tons of people passing my baby around." Well then her response was "Good luck with that."

Am I being rude or inconsiderate for not wanting everyone coming to visit for a few days or weeks?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Am I wrong?

• I don't think you're wrong. We're only planning on having close family over the first few days after coming home. Then we'll have a "meet the baby" thing after a few weeks, around xmas. It's up to you and don't let anyone tell you how you should do things. It's your family!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not at all. However, people will be upset and you will just have to ignore that. Everyone loves a new baby and wants to visit tons when you first bring them home.
  • Loading the player...
  • Your house.  Your rules.  There are going to be a million things you do with your child that people think is weird or crazy so you might as well start getting used to it now.
  • Nope - same goes for the hospital, you only have to put up with the people you want to. Don't let anyone pressure you into letting them come visit if you're not feeling up for it. If they want to show up uninvited, let them stand on your porch in the cold as you or your SO explains now is not a good time & they probably should have called first
    image image image
  • No, you're not. Both my family and DH's are butt-hurt that I told them we won't be coming to holiday dinners/events this year. I said that people are welcome to come occasionally in 2s and 3s if they haven't been ill, but we aren't in "Open House" mode with a winter baby - sorry.
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not even a little bit wrong. It's rude and inconsiderate of people to think they just have an open invitation unless you say so.

We are inviting certain people to drop by our neck of the woods with a phone call at least a few hours ahead to see the baby. We won't be available for random visitors.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I feel the EXACT same way.  I have been getting no-so-nice responses about how I will not be attending any Christmas Parties or what not because I don't think it is necessary to take a newborn out so soon.  I too, do not want a TON of people over my house for the first few weeks.  I have made that very clear to my mother and mother-in-law.  My mom agrees with me...my mother-in-law...not so much.  She insisted that when she gave birth to my husband she was out at a family wedding when he was 3 weeks.  He was also born in the SUMMER.  With flu season, I think people need to respect that we do not want our newborns being exposed to so many germs so soon.   If people want to be mad at me and say I'm being ridiculous, I don't care.  It is for the safety and health of the baby.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"