August 2011 Moms

S/O Santa: MIL comment.

MIL asked us this question before we even had a son. "You aren't going to make me lie to my grandkids about Santa, are you?" She never "did" Santa with DH. Yes, b1tch. And if you don't want to, then you don't have to be around for the holidays. My step-mom told her boys the truth about Santa, but she has always been supportive of our family traditions. MIL, not so much.

Anyone else have close family that doesn't want to lie to your kid? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: S/O Santa: MIL comment.

• Gah WTF Tuna's MIL? Santa is just like any other Christmas tradition: don't do it if you don't want to, but don't poo poo on those who do.

I think you could maybe tell her she isn't required to lie - I mean, I doubt Ian is going to go and ask her, of all people, what her thoughts on the guy are. All she has to do if Ian talks about Santa is nod and smile. I mean, it's no worse than say, having an imaginary friend. If Ian had one, would she hound him about how his imaginary friend is not real? Or would she smile and play along?

I'm lucky that our main "disagreement" (if I can even call it that) right now is about whether all the gifts will be from Santa or not. I was contemplating having gifts from Santa and gifts from other people, but my brother isn't on board with it. I don't want my nieces to wonder why their cousins get gifts from, say, Grandma, and they don't, so I think we're going to stick to Santa being the only gift-giver for now.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Wow, what a grinch!  We don't have to deal with anything like that, thankfully.  If any of our family members weren't on board with how we celebrate, to the point that they might ruin our traditions, we probably would not let them celebrate with us. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I may or may not have jokingly said something similar to DH when we were discussing how we'd approach Santa. We're not grinches though - I nod and smile and play along for other kids...just not excessively. I hope your MIL can get past it and figure out a way to not lie, but not be grinchy either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Dear Tuna's MIL,

You aren't very fun. Some may call you
    A party pooper. Santa is fun and kids love him.
  • imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:

I'm lucky that our main "disagreement" (if I can even call it that) right now is about whether all the gifts will be from Santa or not. I was contemplating having gifts from Santa and gifts from other people, but my brother isn't on board with it. I don't want my nieces to wonder why their cousins get gifts from, say, Grandma, and they don't, so I think we're going to stick to Santa being the only gift-giver for now.

This is interesting to me. I've never considered all the gifts being from Santa. I'm assuming you mean just for extended family. You give the girls gifts from you and DH, right? 

• imageS-Tuna:
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:

This is interesting to me. I've never considered all the gifts being from Santa. I'm assuming you mean just for extended family. You give the girls gifts from you and DH, right? 

No, I really mean ALL the gifts being from Santa. That's how my parents did it when we were kids so I guess that would be "the norm" for us?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:
    imageS-Tuna:
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:

No, I really mean ALL the gifts being from Santa. That's how my parents did it when we were kids so I guess that would be "the norm" for us?

I've never thought about that before. Not in a bad way, I've just never considered all of the gifts being from Santa. We give DS additional gifts from Santa. The extended family gives him gifts from themselves.

• My parents never did Santa with us either because they didn't want to "lie" to us. However, me and my other 3 siblings are all doing Santa with our kids. My parents don't lie about it, they just don't mention it to the grandkids. We are very faithful Christians, and will still explain the meaning behind Christmas to our kids, religious and otherwise. I explained to my parents that the Santa tradition is not about lying, but to say this is how we celebrate Christmas (Santa), and this is why we celebrate Christmas (nativity). So they don't interfere, and everybody is happy.

Sorry about your MIL. I don't know if my story applies to you, but if it does, maybe you can approach it at that angle. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemeghansell:

My parents never did Santa with us either because they didn't want to "lie" to us. However, me and my other 3 siblings are all doing Santa with our kids. My parents don't lie about it, they just don't mention it to the grandkids. 

This makes perfect sense. Why can't your MIL play by these rules!?! Geezzzz. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"