Working Moms

Which sitter would you choose?

We're looking for new part-time childcare for our 3-yr and 11-mo olds. We need them kept somewhere other than our house. So far we have three options:

A) The sahm across the street who has kids in middle & high school. Nice, but doesn't strike me as very active or "fun." Her kids seem a little anti-social.

B) A really nice woman in her late 30's who is married with no kids. Babysits a lot for people we know - at their houses. Tried her one day last week & the kids love her. But her house is totally not child-ready. She had towels and blankets covering all her furniture when we arrived :)  We/she would need to buy PNP, gates, highchair, car seat...and maybe slipcovers? Lives about 15 mins away, but it's on the way to my office.

C)  A friend who has a 2-yr-old and infant. My daughter plays really well with her son, and I definitely trust her with them. Lives 5 mins away. She wouldn't be able to drive them anywhere (like to the playground or anything) and lives in a townhome on a busy street. Would be less expensive than option B. DH is worried that it could be weird to employ a friend. 

D) Keep looking.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Which sitter would you choose?

• B - as long as her house is well kept
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • I say D, only because it sounds like option B would require quite a few purchases and I assume that she's not going to buy all of the items needed to do in home childcare. If she is, or at least buy some of the items, then go with her!
  • imageClaryPax:

Can option B watch the kids in your house?  I like that she wouldn't have any other kids, and could take your 3 year old places if you trust her driving.

Otherwise I would do either Option C or D.  

My husband is working from home and doesn't want the kids in the house, so no. I do like that she could take them places, but also like the idea of my 3-yr-old having a friend to play with. 

• imagehocus:

B or D -- and if she doesn't have other kids, would she come to your house (not sure why that isn't' an option). Certainly not C. I don't think kids are happy indoors most of the day.

Not sure about the whole blanket/slipcovers thing. If he couch is old that is really her problem. No need for you to get involved with fixing that.

Just make sure you have a contract about who owns the things you're buying. Sounds like you'd have to provide $400 of stuff for her which is an issue.

DH will be working from home, and I work some from home too. We want the kids somewhere else.

The slipcovers would be b/c her house is super nice, not b/c anything is old. I was kind of joking b/c of how she covered everything in towels the first time she kept them. I certainly wouldn't be buying her slipcovers, but I would maybe buy the carseat and gates. We're tight on money, so I'm not crazy about having to make the extra purchases.

• Either B or C. If you want kids to be able to go to activities and playgrounds then B, if you want your kids to socialize with other kids then C.  If you go with B, I would expect to provide all baby gear.  If she feels the need to protect her furniture, she can pay for the slipcovers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetxraider:

Could the older one do a MDO while the little one is with your friend (Option C) 

I would keep looking.  

Hey! Good point. I just remembered our YMCA has $20 per child MDO in the mornings...maybe I can use that for part of our care...  

• Honestly, I would keep looking. None of those sound like great options.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • B-the equipment is not a deal breaker. You can p/u a PNP cheap at a consignment shop or CL. I would buy a chair booster around $25 instead of a high chair. LO can grow into a booster and it takes up less space. Explain you need the house child proof and offer suggestions.

I would not want a friend to watch my LO regularly. If you have a disagreement it can end a friendship. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"