2nd Trimester

When did you start feeling uncomfortable laying on your back?

I'm 14 weeks, 2nd pregnancy. I'm already feeling uncomfortable laying on my back. When are you suppose to switch to your side? I'm already switching because it's way too uncomfortable. Even laying on the couch on my back is not feeling very good. It's been 8 yrs since my 1st child I don't remember when I started getting uncomfortable with my daughter. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When did you start feeling uncomfortable laying on your back?

• I am already uncomfortable on my back and even reclining on my back feels awkward.
  • I've been on my side since my BFP, but I'm a stomach sleeper and I knew from experience it would take a WHILE for me to get back to being able to sleep in a position other than my stomach!

But when I am on my back, it's super uncomfortable even for a few minutes. I don't remember it being this early either. 

• Loading the player...
  • A lot of the things I've read say around 12 weeks is when you should try to lay on your sides, or even put a pillow under one side when you're laying flat on your back to keep the baby from pressing directly down on your major arteries- I still woke up on my back quite a few times through 20 weeks, and that was more than likely my bodies way of making me roll onto my side. At 26 weeks I can't lay on my back for long, (sorry if it's TMI) so certain 'positions' are now out of the questions because I end up out of breath because LO pushes up into my lungs. 

This is also my 2nd pregnancy, so I don't remember what it was last time, but I just know that as long as you listen to your body you should be fine. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I hate laying on my sides, I am totally a stomach sleeper but I cannot sleep like that and have been trying to break the habit since BFP. I still lay on my back but find myself sleeping on my sides with my top leg pulled up to my chest. So it is like I am sleeping on my belly but really my leg is keeping my belly from being laid on. Well for now until I get bigger. So to answer your question, for me, I try to sleep on my back but it must hurt some point in the night where I flip to my side/belly. I have been doing this for a couple weeks now.
    IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • I still feel comfortable laying on my back and I'm 25 weeks.  I try to start on my sides but most of the time I wake up on my back.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm still most comfortable on my back, but I always try to sleep on my side.  The nights I wake up on my back are the nights I sleep best though.
    imageimage
    Me: 35 DH: 30 TTC since 1/2010 DX: 6/15/2011: MFI IVF with ICSI

IVF #1: Sept 2011: Beta 10/10- BFP!! 1st u/s 10/31/11 1 blighted ovum, 1 embryo 2nd u/s 11/14/11 stopped growing, no h/b D/C 11/17/11

IVF #2: FET 5/4/12 : Beta 5/16/12 BFN

IVF #3: ET 7/6/12 : 7/18 Beta #1 BFP at 246, 7/20 Beta #2 at 713, 7/27 Beta #3 at 9068. 1st u/s 8/7 with one lovely hb.
    Mabel is here! 2/17/13!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm still comfortable on my back at 26 weeks.  My doc says my body will tell me when I shouldn't anymore - dizziness and shortness of breath. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't think there is a certain time your "suppose" to sleep on your side..just stop laying on your back when it becomes uncomfortable :) I hate sleeping on my back..i like on my side..BUT i DO like sleeping on my stomach lol have to live it up sleeping like that while I still can! lol
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I still wake up on my back and it's fine, but it's starting to feel weird. Side sleeping is more comfortable starting this week.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• I've found that it's different with each pregnancy. I stopped back sleeping with my first pregnancy at around 9 weeks, this time I'm just now starting to feel uncomfortable and it's mostly because the stomach muscles want a break from being stretched. 

I also have a hunch that this baby is smaller than DS, it just doesn't seem to feel the same. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Although nothing feels very comfortable right now, I've found this week that slightly sitting up and on my back feels best.  When I sleep on my sides, I wake up with backaches or neck pain and feel short of breath. I can't win right now.  I can see me switching to the recliner or couch soon -- even though I feel it's way too early for this!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Noticeably around 18-19 weeks. I've been laying only on my left side with a snoogle between my knees since then and have found this is the most comfortable position.
  • Noticeably around 18-19 weeks. I've been laying only on my left side with a snoogle between my knees since then and have found this is the most comfortable position to sleep or lay on the couch in. 
  • I am a stomach sleeper, but I am semi-comfortable sleeping on my back if I use a king-size pillow under one side.  I almost always end up in a side-to-stomach position, with a pillow wedged under me to accommodate the bump.  I only sleep for an hour or so in any other position.
    Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • i always start out on my side but wake up in my back or stomach. i am still comfortable laying on my back, but i try to avoid it when possible. 

BFP #1 4/10/12, lost at 8 weeks.
    BFP #2 EDD 4/18/13. Its a Boy!

• Should I be worried that I dont have any issue with laying on my back. Like others have mentioned thats where I find the most comfort. Just gonna enjoy it while I can!!!!
  • imageMTHead:
    I am a stomach sleeper, but I am semicomfortable sleeping on my back if I use a kingsize pillow under one side.nbsp; I almost always end up in a sidetostomach position, with a pillow wedged under me to accommodate the bump.nbsp; I only sleep for an hour or so in any other position.

That's how I slept the entire first pregnancy.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's funny. I don't feel uncomfortable WHILE I'm laying on my back, it hurts like heck though when I try to move or get up. I can't actually sleep on my back (never been a back-sleeper), though, so I'm glad for that at least.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've read that it's not an issue to lay on your back until about 20 weeks, but I, personally, started getting uncomfortable on my back during week 13 or 14.  I just got a slight sense of light-headedness/uneasiness/generally not feeling well when I did. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"