April 2013 Moms

Cloth diaper question...

DH and I decied to do cloth diapers and have decided to start when baby is NB.  I have spent the last few days reading everything I can and I am getting so confused with all the choices out there.  My question is for thoses who have done cloth diapers did you get a trail to start out with so you could see which ones you liked, or just buy a few of the style you thought you'd like to see which ones worked best?

I figure that once we find the ones that work best we will buy more, and I do plan on having some different styles on hand but I just don't know if I should try the trail or not.  My biggest concern is not having enough for the baby and having to do a lot of washing and/or run out of the diapers when the baby needs them.

I know everyone is different and it depends on each person, and I have read the CD board but I "know" you guys a little better and wonder what worked best for you. 

TIA

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cloth diaper question...

• I am in the same boat as you.  I asked around to a few friends and did some research.  One of my close friends uses gDiapers and loves them.  They can be used with the cloth inserts or disposable inserts.  For me, I plan to try these as well as some of the All-In-One styles as these seem closest to disposable in terms of ease of use.  I am dealing with some reluctant family members including DH so this is probably the best way to go for me.  So to answer your question - I am not doing a trial only because I think the prefolds and pockets may be too "involved" for DH.  Also, while it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, I get the feeling that the extra steps of folding, covering and/or stuffing pockets may get a little old - that's just me though.  I am not too reluctant to buy a stash bc it seems like the market for CD is pretty good and people are always looking for deals.  I have been looking for deals/sales and getting a few at a time.  If I end up hating it, it seems pretty easy to sell them.  
    BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Me personally, I started out with 12 Bum Genius OS Pocket diapers and then added on to my stash from there, buying a couple of prefolds & covers, some fitteds, AIO's etc just 1-2 at a time so it wasn't too expensive and I could get a knack for what I liked best.  I signed up for the newsletters from various diaper websites and bought diapers that went on sale and bought some from DiaperSwappers.com as well.  The nice thing about buying used dipes (aside from the fact that they're cheaper) is that if you don't like them for one reason or another, you can sell them for just as much as you paid for them. 

Once DS was potty trained I sold off the majority of my stash so now I'm starting over.  I will use mostly prefolds and covers simply because I won't have to deal with stuffing diapers like I did with using mostly pockets, but will have some pockets, AIO's and fitteds as well for ease of use when needed.  (middle of the night, sitters, outings etc)

Mommy to
    Tyler (10/29/08)
    and Lily (4/21/13)

• Loading the player...
  • I am not cloth diapering but if I were going to, I would probably just buy a few in one style, and a few packages of disposable diapers to use whiel making sure I liked the cloth ones... that way you can go buy a different style if you don't like them, but have disposables on backup until you land on something you like and can reliably use.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I started my stash a couple days ago. I'll be using prefolds and Thirsties Duo Wrap covers. Will have inserts, doublers and liners in different materials too, like hemp, bamboo, fleece, and eventually will add some fitted or AIOs just in case I need something extra extra for nighttime if the other combos of what I have won't cut it.

General consensus seems to be that a lot love and rec prefolds for newbies and often beyond through till potty training. Definitely try adding some other options to your stash to see what works.

I'll be trying and using original Tide powder for washing. Virgin coconut oil for diaper rash.

I like reading www.cloththatcounts.com
    DD 4/3/04 & #2 EDD April 21, 2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oh, also - one of the things I liked best about CD'ing was the variety.... I loved several different brands and types of diapers... I didn't have one single favorite... I liked them all for different reasons. 

So my advice would be to buy a variety... and you may end up keeping/liking/using them all.  :)

Also, Nicki's Diapers is currently having a sale on Imagine Diapers... they are OS AI2's and super cheap and though I haven't had a baby to use them on yet, they seem really well made, soft, absorbent etc.  NB size are $8.95 and the OS ones are $10.95.   (for comparison, Bum Genius's OS pocket diapers are about $17.95 each and these are basically the same thing except it's not a pocket, the insert snaps in to it's place) https://www.nickisdiapers.com/search.asp?referer=mailid:24&keyword=imagine+stay-dry&x=14&y=8

Mommy to
    Tyler (10/29/08)
    and Lily (4/21/13)

• Most trials you have to return the diapers within 15-30 days of them being ordered and I just don't think that is enough time to really try out diapers. 

We did prefolds and covers (Thirsties duo covers) for the NB stage and once he was a couple of months old we started trying out different types of diapers.  We eventually settled on GroVia AI2 with some fitteds and wool and some pockets.  I usually recommend that people start with the cheap and easy prefolds and covers for NB and buy a small assortment of other diapers (or borrow from people -- I'm constantly lending out different diapers for friends to try out) to try out.  If you find there are some you absolutely don't like, the resale value on CDs is high so you can get a decent return on lightly used diapers and/or trade them out for something else.  The only reason why I didn't keep using PFs and covers is that they take a moment longer to get on and once DS hit around 5 months old he was too wiggly and intolerant of diaper changes to sit still long enough to get the thing on to my liking.  

I hope you love cloth diapers as much as I do!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Before my son was born I think I bought just about one of every variety of cloth diaper :)  At first he didn't fit in any of them, but when we started using them at about 1 month, maybe later, we swiftly went out bought more of our favorite (Flips).  Everyone has a different opinion and what works for one family might not work for yours.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We started out with gDiapers and did a trial to try others, but didn't start CDing until DD was 3 months old. This time I think we are going to use disposables until the OS fit, but we might get the gDiaper newborn pack. Not sure yet. We probably spent quite a bit on NB disposables with DD, even with the free ones from the hospital and the ones we got as gifts. I think we had to buy 2-3 cases or more. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagerayofsunshine99:

Also, Nicki's Diapers is currently having a sale on Imagine Diapers... they are OS AI2's and super cheap and though I haven't had a baby to use them on yet, they seem really well made, soft, absorbent etc.  NB size are $8.95 and the OS ones are $10.95.   (for comparison, Bum Genius's OS pocket diapers are about $17.95 each and these are basically the same thing except it's not a pocket, the insert snaps in to it's place) https://www.nickisdiapers.com/search.asp?referer=mailid:24&keyword=imagine+stay-dry&x=14&y=8

The Imagine diapers are inexpensive in comparison to the BG, however my experience is that they wick badly. Just about anytime I have used them, dd's clothes end up wet, so I have not been terribly impressed by them. So if you try them, make sure everything is tucked in good. 

• You could check around where you live and see if anyone offers a cloth diapering class. There is a local store here and once a month they offer a class, they go over the different types, and the pros and cons. We started out thinking we would like g diapers, and ended up deciding to start with prefolds and covers. They ended up being really easy to use, we then moved up to BG 4.0. I plan on doing the same with this baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"