April 2013 Moms

any not-so-pink "team pink" mamas?

Are there any other confirmed "team pink" mamas who are dreading the deluge of pink, ruffly, and sparkly stuff?  And I don't just mean in terms of gifts, I mean in terms of attitudes about what it means to be a girl baby? 

I'm having a lot of conversations like this at work today:

Co-worker: Oh hey, have you found what it is?

Me:  Yes, we had the big ultrasound last Wednesday.  We're having a girl and she looks per....

Co-worker:  GIRL GIRL GIRL

Me:  and she looks perfectly hea...

Me:  perfectly healthy.  We're super excited.

Me:  I wonder what the cafeteria is serving for lunch today?

Does this happen to mamas of boys, or is this just a girl thing?  Am I the only one not loving the focus on GIRL GIRL GIRL?

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.

Re: any not-so-pink "team pink" mamas?

• Well I dont have my ultrasound until thursday (eeeek!) but if we are confirmed team pink I think this is how it's going to be. It does seem like when you're having a girl you get a lot more GIRL GIRL GIRL than when you're having a boy. Maybe it's because women get so excited over all the cute clothes and we're way more expressive about our excitement?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I smirked when I read this, because I can completely relate and am having a boy. I don't get this reaction from everybody though, mainly male friends. Tends to drive you up the wall after a while, doesn't it?
  • Loading the player...
  • ME!    I totally wanted a boy but yea registering really dampened my spirits.  There is very little gender nuetral stuff out there.   I feel like everything is one exteme or the other (firetrucks and cars or lace and ruffles).  

• I don't have any advice but just wanted to say congrats on the great ultrasound.  :)
    Mommy to
    Tyler (10/29/08)
    and Lily (4/21/13)

• I am Team Green, but I've already made it VERY clear to family that if LO is a girl I do NOT want to be inundated with pink crap. Part of the reason I was Team Green with DS was because I didn't want a boatload of pink (or even blue) stuff. No offense to moms of girls who have a houseful of pink, but that won't be happening with us. LO and DS will be sharing a room for at least the first year of LO's life and the room is black, yellow and white (the same color scheme we decided on when we didn't know the sex of DS) with a lot of Star Wars stuff thrown in! I'm not saying that if LO is a girl she won't be wearing dresses - there are plenty of girly clothes out there that are NOT pink. I get annoyed when everyone ASSUMES that I want this baby to be a girl because I already have a boy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I can totally relate.  I wanted a boy but we are having a healthy girl.  When people ask and I tell them we are having a girl all I hear is Charlie Brown's teacher.  Waaah waah waah.  The thoughts that run through my mind is PMS, all the boys, paying for a wedding, and drama.  

On the pink frilly crap:  My sister is purchasing the "Take home outfit"  I have already informed her there will be NO pink, lace frilly ruffle crap or she will go home in something I bring for her.

I do like pink camo. 

• Having one girl and another on the way, I can relate. I have made my feelings known (time and time and time again) on pink, princess-y type stuff (ESPECIALLY Disney crap). While I've been able to keep it to a minimum, stuff has seeped in; it just has. I let some stuff go (a fuchsia cardigan, for example) but draw the line at the glittery hearts and "Daddy's little Princess" junk.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What kills me are the toys that come in standard colors, like a yellow bus, but also have the "girl" version of a pink/purple bus.  What is up with that?  Why just because your kid is a girl, do they need every toy to come in a pink or purple version?  I so do not want my house to look like a pepto bottle exploded all over it!

If these babies are girls, I will be spreading the word not to buy everything pink!

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Am I terrible that I plan/hope to return a bunch of stuff if it's all pink and ruffly? I won't register for any of that unless we like it.
  • imagesaralynn7:
    Am I terrible that I plan/hope to return a bunch of stuff if it's all pink and ruffly? I won't register for any of that unless we like it.

We have tons of money in gift cards to several stores because of all the stuff I've returned on Ava's behalf.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Am I the only one who embraced the pink frills? I HATED pink before I had my daughter, but as soon as she popped out, omg it was pink everything and I loved it.

And, I have to say, even with all the sparkly, princess, frilly stuff she has worn (and that goes for toys, too), it has NOT stopped her from getting muddy, catching bugs, taking out books about blood sucking leeches from the library, playing race cars, riding her bike as hard as she can, etc. etc. etc.....  She's a sensitive little girl who wants to play football with the boys.

Regardless if you embrace the pink or not, a baby girl will grow up to be an individual whether or not the bus is yellow or purple. It's not what they wear, it's what you do with them that counts.

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I repaired my own furnace today and I work in corrections... there is nothing pink and sparkly about me.  :o)  Our nursery will be teals/greens/brown.  I'm glad this is our 2nd and first was a boy because people may "judge" less when she's in "boyish" things. 

With my boy it was sort of like, "oh, I'm sorry, I bet you wanted a girl." and now it's all "GIRL... sparkles... GIRL... ruffles... GIRL... pink" and "are you painting the room pink?"  I'm over it.  I'm looking forward to some of the cute girl clothes but in general I'm not a pink and sparkly/ruffles person so I'm feeling like a lot of clothing gifts we may get will be annoying to me but still cute.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imagemollyskywalker:
    Part of the reason I was Team Green with DS was because I didn't want a boatload of pink (or even blue) stuff.  

I get annoyed when everyone ASSUMES that I want this baby to be a girl because I already have a boy. 

These points for me too.  Part of the reason we were Green last time (& this) was because we WANTED gender neutral stuff.  It actually kept people sticking to our registry of items we NEEDED, instead of just buying us a crap ton of baby clothes.  We ended up getting tons of "Welcome new baby girl!" outfits when she was born, I think people just really do love to shop for baby girl clothes. Frilly/sparkly is NMS, so I did end up exchanging a few things, but otherwise was just thankful to have received generous & unexpected gifts.

I also get annoyed at the assumption that we want a boy and will be disappointed if its not, since we already have a girl.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did tell as many people as possible when we found out DD1 was a girl that I didn't care for pink. Still got a ton of pink stuff but she looks good in it and they outgrow everything so quickly, I'm over it. 

FTMs, don't bother registering for any clothes. People will buy tons of clothes anyway. It's just what they do. Eventually you run out of outfits you receive as gifts and get to buy what you want ;) 

BFP 7/31/10 m/c 8/16/10
    BFP 10/25/10 Brynn Helen born 7/7/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks for all of the responses.

Oh and here's something weird.  There are also people who assume we prefer a girl because we're lesbians.  (Maybe that's because of the stereotype of lesbians as man-haters?  I don't get it.)

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Yep. Right here. This is my second and I am not planning on registering this go-around. I am also not sharing the sex with a lot of people, and for those that do want to get us stuff, my number one rule will be no pink (does she really need pink legos? it is way too obnoxious in my view).

Sorry, just can't do it, and don't see the purpose of it. I am also not into make-up, princesses, doll babies, etc., so she will more than likely be screwed in that department too. Such is life, I guess. 

• I had to laugh at this because that was very much how I was with my daughter, but as she got older and started developing her own tastes, she just absolutely LOVED "pretties" (jewelry, sparkles, glitter), and guess what her favorite color is? Pink. Her room is the girliest, pinkest, sparkliest room on the planet, and she never leaves the house without ten pieces of jewelry. It's so funny. Especially because she has a twin brother and they could NOT be more opposite!!! He is a boy's boy all the way!

You can be anti-pink and glitter and try your best to keep it neutral, but she'll like what she likes haha! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is my life right now. I am not even opposed to pink, I just don't want to be buried in pink and sparkles. I know my husband is excited for that stuff. But...I feel like I have to remind people that there are other colors or else we'll be overwhelmed, you know?
  • imageBeautyfromAshes:

I had to laugh at this because that was very much how I was with my daughter, but as she got older and started developing her own tastes, she just absolutely LOVED "pretties" (jewelry, sparkles, glitter), and guess what her favorite color is? Pink. Her room is the girliest, pinkest, sparkliest room on the planet, and she never leaves the house without ten pieces of jewelry. It's so funny. Especially because she has a twin brother and they could NOT be more opposite!!! He is a boy's boy all the way!

You can be anti-pink and glitter and try your best to keep it neutral, but she'll like what she likes haha! 

That's really the whole point.  I want my child to be able to choose her own favorite color.  If she chooses pink because she likes it, awesome.  If she chooses pink because (from the day she was born) she was so surrounded by pink that she cannot imagine any other color for herself, well then that sucks.

Do you see the difference?

• imageBeautyfromAshes:

I had to laugh at this because that was very much how I was with my daughter, but as she got older and started developing her own tastes, she just absolutely LOVED "pretties" (jewelry, sparkles, glitter), and guess what her favorite color is? Pink. Her room is the girliest, pinkest, sparkliest room on the planet, and she never leaves the house without ten pieces of jewelry. It's so funny. Especially because she has a twin brother and they could NOT be more opposite!!! He is a boy's boy all the way!

Brenda IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageBeautyfromAshes:

This is my life. I was a huge tomboy growing up. The only time I'd wear a dress in high school was when it was required (ie: Christmas and Easter). My daughter is the girliest-girl ever...my mom just giggles.  But, I have to say, I've also mellowed out a bit since having her - I kind of like dressing up now, too. And she does look really cute in her sparkles.  ;)

Brenda IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I have an 18 month old girl and we aren't super girly-girls. I mean sometimes I find super cute dresses and what not, but it's not part of our normal day to day. She actually acts more like the boys in her play group. She is one active toddler. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This is DD #2 for us, and while we don't overdo the pink. DD #1 plays with dinosaurs, dump trucks, and wears boys' overalls while simultaneously having a tea party with her sock monkey tea set. LOL

We solved the "Girl girl girl" issue by registering for ALL gender-neutral items and exchanging anything that was overly "foofy." For example, we registered for the blue Bumbo and a bumblebee tray toy, but got the pink with a butterfly garden toy instead. We exchanged. If the gift-giver were ever to ask, we would simply say we appreciated their generosity and would hope that the next baby could enjoy the gift, as well, if it were to be a boy. We still buy all "neutral" toys. We think it's pointless to buy a pink version of a toy when any other color will do (and likely be cheaper-- girl items are marked up, usually).

With another girl on the way, I think a few people will say something about how we should have gone girl the first time. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"