April 2013 Moms

nursery question re: colors

I found an idea for paint/fabrics for the nursery that I love but what I found uses white furniture and we have natural/light wood furniture already.  Take a look at the pics.... do you think I can pull off gray walls with the light brown furniture?  If not, any other suggestions to keep in this palette? I love teals and greens but don't want the room to be obnoxious.  DS's room is right next to the LO's room and his room is bright green (a little obnoxious) but I think it'd be worse to have rooms side-by-side (can be seen from the same hallway) that are both uber vibrant.

orange-nursery

SimpleHoDrsr_sp12

ETA:  I found another palette that I think will work better, since it shows it with light wood furniture.  The room for this LO is on the smaller side so I'm not sure how the deep aqua/teal color would work on the walls (the bottom color block on the left side of the picture is the proposed wall color) but I could use the lighter shade instead maybe or just be sure to incorporate lots of white -- white shelving, upholstery on the glider, linens -- to lighten it up.  We are having a girl, so they say (haven't actually confirmed girl but last 2 u/s they "don't see boy parts"), but I have most of my house in teals/blues and greens, which I like, so why not for a baby girl's room, right?

Nursery Inspiration

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage

Re: nursery question re: colors

• I love that 1st pic, the color scheme is great. Personally, I dont think it'd work as well with the light brown wood though.
  • imageOoglybear:
    I love that 1st pic, the color scheme is great. Personally, I dont think it'd work as well with the light brown wood though.

That is exactly what I thought.  I asked DH for his opinion and he said he liked it but is really no help with style things. :o)

imageMichbot12:
    I have the same picture on my pinterest!  It was going to be my nursery inspiration if we were having a boy. 

Great minds think alike!  It is a gorgeous room.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • We're using a similar bright color for the nursery, maybe a bit more green in it (Valspar simply aqua). The crib and dresser we bought is light wood (baby cache montana in driftwood). I have been struggling with bedding and other decor ideas because the room is so bright. We're leaning towards a light yellow, other shades of brown or maybe a dark gray. The color of the wood in our furniture is a weathered/antiquey sort of look so it has a bit of a gray tinge to it already. Not sure if that helps you at all, but I think with the right shades it could be possible.
  • I think either one would be fine for a girl. My girls room is going to be greens and blues and browns. 1. I hate pink and purple and all pastels really. 2. the rest of my house is blue, brown and green and I want it to flow. You could paint your dresser? I'm doing that with a HUGE full wall bookcase I have.

• DD's nursery is very similar.  The walls are that aqua color, with 1 wall having a really thick light gray stripe across it, bordered by smaller white stripes and a yellow/gray/white patterned rug & accents (instead of the orange).  She has white furniture, so I think your edit about using brown instead of gray might go better with the light brown furniture you showed.

I think its all really nice baby room colors, without being matchy/matchy 'theme'.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Great minds indeed! That was my boy room on Pinterest too ;
  • I love those colors..also have that pic on my Pinterest!  I am team green and was debating between a pale green, gray, or aqua/turquoise color and decided on a pale turquoise because it seemed to be in a lot of the neutral patterns we've seen and can go either way.  I wish I could just wave a magic wand and it would all come together itself LOL
    Pregnancy Ticker image image IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I think it should be fine with light wood. We have grey walls in our master and darker ones in our bathroom, both with light wood furniture. I've never thought it looked odd.

I think I pinned that room too. Do it! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"