Baby Names

Rowena

Rowena has been growing on me. I mentioned it the other day to DH and he seemed to like it as well. I was just wondering what others thought of it.
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Rowena

• I don't mind it but it's not my fave either. I prefer Rowen without the 'a' at the end.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • When I first heard it, I wasn't a fan, but the more I hear it, the more I love it! It just sounds really elegant to me now.
  • It's not awful but it's definitely NMS.
  • NMS, it sounds made up even though it isn't and like a country in Africa.
  • I love it.  I agree it sounds elegant.
  • Don't like it, at all.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think of Harry Potter. Rowena Ravenclaw was one of the founders of Hogwarts. However, it's not a terrible association for me.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love it! Rowen/Rowan sound so masculine to me, but Rowena is so pretty and feminine. Big thumbs up!
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • imagesed8611:
    It's not awful but it's definitely NMS.

This 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Love it. It was on our list for S, but dh nixed it.
  • I like it

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• Rowan is a boy's name. I am getting so frustrated trying to think of good boys' names because they keep getting taken over by girls!!
  • imagechibride4:
    NMS, it sounds made up even though it isn't and like a country in Africa.
    Come again? A country in Africa?
    SQUIRREL!!!

• I absolutely love this name. I wanted it for DD#2, but it is to rhymey with DD#1's name. But, I seriously love it. I hope the people that do not care for it here to do not sway you from using it. It's beautiful and I think it'd go great with your DS's name!
  • imagejorkz821:
    imagechibride4:

What I was trying to say is that Rowena sounds like Rwanda to me. It's an East African country.
  • I like it a lot. I agree, it sounds elegant very pretty.
  • I don't see the appeal. It's just NMS, I guess!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• imagechibride4:
    imagejorkz821:
    imagechibride4:

What I was trying to say is that Rowena sounds like Rwanda to me. It's an East African country.
    lol yes I know where Rwanda is. I just never got that from Rowena which I thought was more of an Irish name.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• imageRenee1105:
    Don't like it, at all.

this.  

image     image  image
       Maverick James 01.07.2012                  * Married 01.23.2010 *                     Harper Skye 01.24.2013

• imagewmorgan003:
    Rowan is a boy's name. I am getting so frustrated trying to think of good boys' names because they keep getting taken over by girls!!

That's why the OP asked about Rowena, not Rowan. Unless this was directed at somebody suggesting Rowan.

However, I agree good boys names are being taken over but that's a whole 'nother post :

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• imageLemonBlush:
    imagewmorgan003:
    Rowan is a boy's name. I am getting so frustrated trying to think of good boys' names because they keep getting taken over by girls!!

That's why the OP asked about Rowena, not Rowan. Unless this was directed at somebody suggesting Rowan.

However, I agree good boys names are being taken over but that's a whole 'nother post :

Yes, I was directing my comment at those suggesting Rowan as an alternative. I don't have any strong opinion on Rowena.
  • It is ok I guess. NMS.
  • imagewmorgan003:

Yes, Rowan is a boy name. I actually have it on my boy list, however I wouldn't use Rowena and Rowan. It's way too much for a sibset! Rowena would be the only feminine version of Rowan I would use. 

ITA about good boy names going to the girls. I just recently met a girl Rowan and cringed a little on the inside. 

• imageZoeMay06:
    I don't mind it but it's not my fave either. I prefer Rowen without the 'a' at the end.

I'm a little curious about this. Would it be pronounced Row-een? Or like Rowan? I'm kind of seeing this being similar to Christine/Christina. 

• imageamber31288:
    I absolutely love this name. I wanted it for DD#2, but it is to rhymey with DD#1's name. But, I seriously love it. I hope the people that do not care for it here to do not sway you from using it. It's beautiful and I think it'd go great with your DS's name!

TBH, it hasn't deterred me much. There hasn't been any good argument against it, other than it's not someone's style, to sway me from it. I still think it's lovely, but I wanted to know others' opinions.

• I have loved this name since I was about 12! My DH always said no because he dislikes feminine versions of male names, but I discovered on behindthename that its etymology is actually separate from Rowan. It is now on our girl list too!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • So is this a girl name or boy name.  ?

TTC since 03/2011
    BFP#1 spontaneous conception! 4/28/12 natural MC on 5/9/12
    IUI#1 with clomid and trigger on 9/12/12
    BFP#2 on 9/26/12 EDD 6/5/13
    Beta #1 143 14dpo Beta #2 343 16dpo Beta #3 920 18dpo
    Please, Please, Please stick baby!

Baby Mackenzie born 5/28/2013!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagesheacox:
    So is this a girl name or boy name.  ?

It's a girl name, pronounced Row-een-uh. It's a feminine version of Rowan. 

• I don't love Rowena, but I know someone named Rowenna (Ro-WEN-na vs Ro-WEE-na) and I love that. Plan to use it as a MN. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"