3rd Trimester

Labor - When Are You Calling People?

What is everyones plan for calling people when you go into labor - family & friends? WIll you let people know when on the way to the hospital, when admitted, after the babies born?????
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Labor - When Are You Calling People?

• I'm not letting people know until after the baby is born and we spend a few hours together. I know I will have a bunch of people trying to come visit us and i'd rather not have them come right away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • definately AFTER the baby is born, too much pressure otherwise!
  • Loading the player...
  • We're calling our parents once we're checked in to the hospital.  Everyone else will hear via mass text after he is born.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• We'll call my parents to come watch DD and then head to the hospital. I'm sure they'll tell my brother and grandparents.

With DD we had an induction, so close family and friends knew we were going to the hospital. I didn't feel any pressure because they were there and it was really nice during labor to have some distractions.

• Parents and siblings will know once I am admitted. It's what we did with DS. No one came, except my mom, so it wasn't an issue. I won't call before they say for sure it isn't a false alarm. But either my IL's or my dad will know no matter what because we need someone to be with DS. i waited a few hours after birth to call close friends and the next day to tell other friends and family. I plan to do the same/

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • The first ones to hear will be the ones involved in helping us with DD during the entire process. The rest of the immediate family can hear when things are moving forward with purpose. Everyone else, mass email/text depending on what time it is when we feel like doing it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The people directly involved we are calling once we leave/are admitted. So, my Mom and step dad (since they will have DD) and DH's parents. I've told them under pain of death that they are not allowed to tell anyone else until we are ready. They can also come to the hospital, but will not be allowed in the L&D room for long and will have to wait in the caf or waiting room.

Once the kid is out, and I've had my first 2 hours of bonding, shower, food, ect. Then I'll take visitors and tell the extended family. I'm very strict. I had 20 people in my L&D suite last time since I let my Mom be in charge. It was terrible. This is time for me, DH, our Doula, and the baby. Period.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i don't want anybody in the labor room with me. they will receive a call after i have moved into the recovery room
  • After LO's born.
  • I am not sure what to do about my parents. My mom is planning on being in the room for delivery. Unfortunately due to my hospital being shut down from hurricane sandy, I'm now delivering at a hospital that is 45 min minimum from our house about an hour from my parents. Once I call them they will pick up my MIL and meet us at the hospital. Originally I wasn't going to call them until we were admitted, in case if a false alarm, but because it will be 11.5 hours before they can get there I'm torn.....
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We'll call my mom right away because she needs to come stay with DS. Then we'll call MIL because I'm not worried that she'll rush out, I know she won't.  Depending on how I feel I might tell some friends, too.  We don't live too close to people so they're not going to come rushing to the hospital.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • We'll probably call our family when we leave for, or get to, the hospital. But, our family is all 6-7 hours away, so no one is coming to the hospital, so we can let them know when things start happening.  Friends that are nearby will likely get told after the baby is born.
  • Neither of our families are in the same state as us so we'll probably call them shortly after we get to the hospital so they can start looking for flights. We probably won't call/text any friends until she's actually out incase it takes forever, that way we don't get questions every hour asking if she's here yet.
  • Planning on calling inlaws when admitted to l and d. Everyone else after baby is born.
  • DH is so excited I think he will call b4 the baby knows she's comming Big Smile . when we went into early labor I think the whole state knew by the time we made it to the hospita. I'd prefer to wait untill we know FOR sure that we are actually going to be able to deliver not given meds and sent home again Sad
    Happily Mrs W. C- Section date DEC 26th Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We will call my dad right away because he's going to come and get/watch our dogs but other than that we aren't calling or letting anyone know until baby is born, I've been cleaned up and we've had some family time with her.

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My mother after admitted. Everyone else after the baby is born.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• we don't have any other kids - so our parents will be called when I check into the hospital - which I'm hoping will be pretty late in the "game" (I want to labor at home for as long as possible).  DH's family will have to drive 3 hours, and my family will have to drive 4 - so I'm hoping she'll already be here by the time they arrive.  

Regardless, we plan on having about 2 hours to ourselves with DD before anyone comes into the room to meet her.  

Text messages and FB posts to the rest of the world will go out after she's born. 

• imagelivelaughlove9:
    I'm not letting people know until after the baby is born and we spend a few hours together. I know I will have a bunch of people trying to come visit us and i'd rather not have them come right away.

This!!!!! I don't want a lot of people there right away!!! We will have to call someone to watch DS so I am sure people will find out.... but still.... 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd rather wait and not tell anyone until baby is here but we'll have to call my mom so she can take care of DS1. Here's to hoping she'll keep her mouth shut but I'm not holding my breath on that one because she usually doesn't respect my wishes
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My IL are out of town for the holidays, so we'll call as soon as we head to the hospital, since they have a 6 hour trip back.  My parents, we'll wait until we get to the hospital and get checked in.
  • I will probably call my mom and stepmom as soon as I feel like I am getting ready to make the trip to the hospital. Then we will let the rest of family know when we get checked in and know for sure its the real thing. I think we will keep friends and everyone else updated throughout the process. We have let most people know that we want guests to wait until after baby has come and we have had a couple hours to recover before they visit.

• I just asked DH if we could wait until after she arrives to call people... he said no. Boo. I really don't want a bunch of people hanging out in the waiting room impatiently (which I suspect would be MIL and possibly my mom) because I am not going to let anyone in for a few hours after her birth anyway. My parents live almost two hours away, so that's not as much of a concern...but his parents are fairly close. Oh well. I suppose we have time to sort this out.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • I really want to wait to tell anyone until LO is here. I really wanted it to just be H and I for the labor and at least an hour after.

My in-laws and my dad were fine with this plan but when my mom found out about my plan, she flipped a $hit. I'm talking 3 year old type temper tantrum. Now I guess we'll be calling our parents when I get admitted....

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have to have a C-section this time, but last time we texted our parents when we went to the hospital then turned off our phones and called close family / texted other people once our son was born.
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • #1 was an induction, so we let ILs know the night before. 

This one we will let ILs know asap because they will take DS.  We probably won't call anyone else until after she is born, we will be busy!  (Or at least I will be!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will call our parents when we head to the hospital, everyone else will find out via Facebook/Twitter because, well, I won't be able to keep DH from doing that.
    Jude Wayne - Born 4/23/10 Violet Patricia - Born 12/5/12 Breastfeeding, baby-wearing work-at-home mom of 2 living in Rockville, MD
  • imageamcourt09:

I really want to wait to tell anyone until LO is here. I really wanted it to just be H and I for the labor and at least an hour after.

My in-laws and my dad were fine with this plan but when my mom found out about my plan, she flipped a $hit. I'm talking 3 year old type temper tantrum. Now I guess we'll be calling our parents when I get admitted....

If you don't want to tell them, then don't. What's the worst she will do, get mad at you? Who cares, she will learn how to deal. Besides she will probably be too excited to see the kid that she may overlook the whole not calling until an hour or two after the birth.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • As far a people showing up, I just told whoever we called not to come until we call back. We also let the staff know that we didn't want visitors except my mom, but she got kicked out for delivery. Most people will respect your wishes. If not then the staff won't let them come in your room. They can wait for 20 hours if they want, but you won't even know.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • My only intown family is my Dad and stepmom. They'll get called right away either as my ride if DH is working, or to watch our dog if DH is with me. Our other 3 sets of parents will be called once I'm in hospital, in transition. And they can tell our siblings big families. Our close friends will get a mass text at delivery, the rest will find out via Facebook once DH gets a photo up. We don't know gender, so we're telling people the moment we find out, but we won't have any nonfamily visitors the first day. And unless its an extended stay, only 2 friends will come to the hospital, the rest will wait til we're home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Calling my mom, her partner and FI's mom when I'm sure that it's actually labor. One of them will be watching DS. 

A few close friends will know when I am in active labor, but otherwise, everyone else will know after he is born and we've had some time to spend with him. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are not calling anyone until we are back home.
  • I don't want to call anyone until after the baby is born. We live by his family and when his sister was born Everyone was up at the hospital for the whole 24 hours she was in labor. Back and forth between the waiting room and her room.
    I do not want that at all. I'm waiting as long as I can before getting the epi and I dont want to feel like I need to make conversation or be pleasant.

Hubby says we have to tell people, it'll hurt everyones feelings if we dont tell them Huh?

So we are calling them after I reach a 5/6ish and he is going to kick people out of the room when he gets "the look". He is also letting everyone know that after I have the baby we are going to be alone for the first hour or so before people are going to be allowed in to see the baby.....cuz I'm not sharing Party!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH and I are still at odds on this one. I think it should be once the LO comes, because it's not going to e like they can come in right away, anyway. They'll have to wait a good two hours before coming in to meet the baby, so why bother getting there sooner? He thinks we should call people right away, just so they're prepared. Knowing his family, though, they'll take that as a sign to show up at the hospital then and there, even if I'm no where near delivery, meaning they could sit there for God knows how long waiting wanting to hang out.

The only people we'll definitely be calling right away are my dad an SM because they're coming up from FL. They're not worried about getting here early, but they'd like to be here as close to birth as possible.
  • Immediate family and my closest friends will find out after I am admitted to the hospital...the rest will hear after the baby is born.
  • imageValleeB2010:
    definately AFTER the baby is born, too much pressure otherwise!

This.  A few people (like my sister) actually got mad at us last time around because we called pretty much only my parents and his parents to let them know things were starting and then were so on the new baby high that we didn't call anyone for a few hours afterward, and apparently she was waiting up to hear.  (We had DS at around 10:30 at night) 

• We'll be calling all our family when we go into the hospital. They're all like six hours away.

Local people will probably be notified after the birth :P 

• FIL as soon as I go into labor - he's driving 8 hours to stay with DS1.

We have no other family close by or planning on coming so will probably call them when we head to the hospital.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Parents--when we're in the hospital. 

Parents-in-law--when we're going--they will sit for the other kids

They will likely spread the word to our siblings.

Pretty much everyone else--when baby is born. 

Although, I might have to have a c-section this time for breech baby so then that's all moot b/c people will know the date. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm not really sure.  Last time we let people know too early and we had people from MH's side of the family show up unexpectedly and it is NOT something I want to repeat at all.  Because of that we'll probably be keeping the news about me being in labor to a minimum.  We'll have to let my family know because they'll be keeping DS for us.  Maybe we'll let everyone else know once the baby is actually here.  If we let others know about me being in labor we're going to have to make sure they know we're not having any visitors in L&D this time, but I think it might just make more sense not to tell anyone until baby is here. 
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"