November 2012 Moms

Membrane Strip, useful or useless?

I have my 39 week doctor's appointment later today and I am considering asking him to give me a membrane strip.  Has anyone had this done and would recommend/ not recommend it?  Would you say that it naturally helped move things along?  If it worked for you, how soon did you go into labor?  Was the procedure painful?  Thank you so much for your input!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Membrane Strip, useful or useless?

• I had it down at 39w 1d when I went in for my weekly checkup. The dr didn't ask or tell me what he was doing. He said "you're 2.5 cm and 80 percent effaced. Here let me help you out a little." When he stripped the membranes it hurt a little but it was more like feeling a lot of pressure. I lost my mucus plug that night and started having bloody show and cramps the next two days. Early the third day after I went into labor and had my baby boy that night. I'm sure it helped a little to have him do that. Though it would've been nice if he had asked me first!!
    Photobucket
    "For this child I prayed; and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of him:"
    -1 Samuel 1:27 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imagejLeigh0709:
    I had it down at 39w 1d when I went in for my weekly checkup. The dr didn't ask or tell me what he was doing. He said "you're 2.5 cm and 80 percent effaced. Here let me help you out a little." When he stripped the membranes it hurt a little but it was more like feeling a lot of pressure. I lost my mucus plug that night and started having bloody show and cramps the next two days. Early the third day after I went into labor and had my baby boy that night. I'm sure it helped a little to have him do that. Though it would've been nice if he had asked me first!!

Glad to hear it was successful for you, but I totally agree that he should have asked you first!  Thanks so much for your help :) 

• Loading the player...
  • I had been having what I thought were BH because there was no feeling to them, just the tightening. I went to my regularly scheduled appt ..a little over 38 weeks, I was almost 3cm and "very soft". She stripped my membranes. Immediately after, my "BH" got some feeling to them and throughout the day they just got longer, stronger and closer together.

My membranes were stripped around noon on Friday and I had Cu at 4:26AM on Saturday.

Yes, I think it helped. I think the contractions I was feeling would have probably progressed on their own... But the sweep helped them go faster.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Two of my friends had it done and they both went into labor 24-48 hours after. I have an appointment Friday, my doc said she would it do it then for, but I need to be dilated. So I'm hoping I dilate before then! Good luck to you!
    TTC #1 BFP 6/1/2011 blighted ovum d&c 7/15/11
    TTC #2 BFP 12/6/11 chemical pregnancy natural mc 12/18/11
    TTC #3 BFP 3/19/12. 4/9: HR of 134! **Bake Turkey, Bake!**
    **All ALs Welcome**
  • I had it done at 38 weeks and again at 40 weeks. It didn't work for me, all that happened was I had a lot of BH's and I started losing my mucus plug. I say it's worth a try, there's a 1/3 chance you'll go into labor within 24 hours of having it done. It does hurt a little but they do it so fast it's not a big deal. Taking deep breaths helped me manage it.

| R 11/22/12  |  L 03/14/14 |
  • Had it done yesterday. I was 2 cm dilated and it was a bit uncomfortable. About 2am I went to the bathroom and noticed some mucus plug and when I got up this morning I had fluid trickling down my legs. Waiting to hear from the doc what they want me to do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've had it done with all 3 of my kids.. With my first, I went into labor 12 hrs later.. with my 2nd and 3rd, it did nothing and I ended up going overdue..good luck though!
    Mommy of 3! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had it done yesterday, and nothing interesting is going on today. No bleeding, mucous, nada. I was only 1cm when he did it so maybe that's why. I would probably recommend doing it for the chance that it may work. It was uncomfortable but nothing too unbearable and was over quickly. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Do it... why not? Had mine done with both pregnancies. With DS I was 38w6d (3cm and 90% for almost 3 weeks) and my water broke that night. With DD I was 38w3d (4cm and 80% for 2 weeks) and it did nothing. My water broke a week later after my 39 week appt where I didn't get them stripped again.

My OB always says it may do something, but often doesn't. I figure you're already uncomfortable by that point so what do you have to lose. For me it didn't hurt any more than a regular internal.

• Hmm, I wonder if this would help me. Doc hasn't mentioned doing anything like this and I'm 3cm and 80% effaced and "soft".  It would have been nice to have this done a week ago, and gotten things started BEFORE Thanksgiving.  I have another appointment tomorrow, I wonder if I should ask?
  • I had it done last week. It hurt, and all I got from it was spotting and some cramps. It didn't work for me. My doctor offered to do it again at my appointment today, but I don't think I am going to do it. I am going to enjoy my Thanksgiving, and be induced on Friday!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was hoping to have it done today but I have not dilated at all so she couldn't do it anyways. Ugh!

My thought is that it won't hurt to have it done so why not?

• Can't hurt. Works for some but not others. I had it done a week ago and I'll still have to be induced tomorrow. At least we tried.
  • I had It done at my dr appt went into labor that night, had her the next day! So I think it's useful. GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I asked my Dr. about it yesterday, just because I had been reading mixed reviews...and she said that she doesn't even do that anymore.  She's found that it generally doesn't work and just causes women to cramp, bleed some, and get overly anxious.  This is coming from a Dr. who's offered to induce me for the past couple of weeks also, so she's not just being ultra-conservative.  ?  Just my 2 cents that I got from Dr....  good luck! :)
    IMG_0933 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"