Parenting after 35

Turkey Day countdown

Apple caramel sauce for the cake made, will make the cake tomorrow. Gravy made, will thicken up and add drippings on Thursday.

Recognize I am a total food dork for being excited by this.

Re: Turkey Day countdown

• How do you make gravy ahead of time? I want to know - that would save a lot of last-minute fuss!

Turkey is defrosting, but I still need to buy a pork shoulder - neither hubby nor mom will eat turkey but dad and I LOVE it. So there is an obscene amount of food at our house, for only 4 people. Or rather at mom's house, because I have not been in the mood for entertaining much lately! 

I think I will find the time to make a pumpkin cheesecake.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Crying ::wants TG dinner too::
  • Loading the player...
  • We're going to MIL's and my "job" is veggies and dip.  Ha!  Can you get any easier than that?  And I really can cook!   Oh!  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks I can cook and that's why they asked me to bring veggies & dip.  Hhhhmmm....

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We're going to my mother's, and I'm going to make a casserole (probably a stuffing casserole from a recipe I recently found online) and my squash soup which everyone loves.

Nobody likes turkey that much in our family (though my husband will eat it), so my mother will be roasting a chicken instead. 

In the past, I made a slow-cooker green bean casserole recipe that I heard about on NPR a few years ago, but I don't know if I'll make it again this year. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagebenniferbaby:

How do you make gravy ahead of time? I want to know - that would save a lot of last-minute fuss!

Turkey is defrosting, but I still need to buy a pork shoulder - neither hubby nor mom will eat turkey but dad and I LOVE it. So there is an obscene amount of food at our house, for only 4 people. Or rather at mom's house, because I have not been in the mood for entertaining much lately! 

I think I will find the time to make a pumpkin cheesecake.

Roux and turkey stock, I made mine with a little apple cider too, then heat it up and throw in some drippings once I have them. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • imagegimmietimmies:
    Crying ::wants TG dinner too::
    Duuuude. I'm tellin' ya, celebrate both!
  • imagestever:
    imagegimmietimmies:
    Crying ::wants TG dinner too::
    Duuuude. I'm tellin' ya, celebrate both!
    Y'know, I usually do. But since I stopped working in Oil and Gas, the parties just aren't there anymore (not like those, we actually booked out an entire sports bar for turkey dinner). Consolation prize is my work Christmas do is Friday. It's just not the same, I'll miss the Stars game.
  • I am off all day tomorrow, let the cooking frenzy begin. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • uh what time shall we come over, stever?
    click the pic (blog)
  • imagesuperaunt:
    uh what time shall we come over, stever?
    You're always welcome at my place Big Smile
  • America's Test Kitchen also does a make-ahead gravy.  They just do it during the time the turkey is roasting.   You make a roux and add the turkey/chicken stock then add drippings later.  Of course, they make their own stock and mine will come out of a can/box!

But I think we'll try it and see how it goes.

I also plan to bard the bird again this year.. but will thoroughly rinse the salt pork to cut down on the salty flavor.  It was a bit much.

And my SIL and I have come to a peace agreement over stuffing.  Yes, I will allow her to stuff the bird, but using a cheesecloth bag so it comes back out much easier.  I hate the idea of having to pick out all that crap.   And we'll take it out halfway through and finish it off in the oven so no one dies of salmonella.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBrideBuddies:

America's Test Kitchen also does a make-ahead gravy.  They just do it during the time the turkey is roasting.   You make a roux and add the turkey/chicken stock then add drippings later.  Of course, they make their own stock and mine will come out of a can/box!

But I think we'll try it and see how it goes.

I also plan to bard the bird again this year.. but will thoroughly rinse the salt pork to cut down on the salty flavor.  It was a bit much.

And my SIL and I have come to a peace agreement over stuffing.  Yes, I will allow her to stuff the bird, but using a cheesecloth bag so it comes back out much easier.  I hate the idea of having to pick out all that crap.   And we'll take it out halfway through and finish it off in the oven so no one dies of salmonella.

What's barding? And the cheesecloth thing for the stuffing is a great idea, though I'm a fanf dressing and stuffing the turkey's but with onions, garlic, herbs and lemon. Partly because of the salmanila thing but mostly because I'm squeamish.
  • Bard the bird ... my mom said this yesterday and I didn't realize that I'd heard her correctly until I read BB's post. I believe it means to let some fatty something sit on top of it or between skin and meat, to keep it moist while roasting. Yes?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"