Food Allergy

MSPI Starting LO on food

When you started LO on food what did you start with rice cereal, oatmeal, veggies and what brand? DS's GI nurse gave us a list of words to look out for on labels but I'm still nervous I'll get something that'll have dairy or soy in it without me knowing it.

I should add that we are holding off until closer to six months to start him on food but I'm just trying to plan some things out. Thanks!
Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
DX: High FSH/DOR
It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: MSPI Starting LO on food

• I'm far from atarting on foods (LO is only 10 weeks) but we are adding oatmeal cereal to his formula for his GERD at the suggestion of our Dr (he also has MSPI) and our pediatric gastroenterologist told us to ONLY use Beechnut cereal specifically because she knows its made in a plant without dairy or soy!  Can't answer you beyond that.... Sorry!

My Relationship Humor Blog: The Hubby Diaries
  • imageHennessy:
    I'm far from atarting on foods (LO is only 10 weeks) but we are adding oatmeal cereal to his formula for his GERD at the suggestion of our Dr (he also has MSPI) and our pediatric gastroenterologist told us to ONLY use Beechnut cereal specifically because she knows its made in a plant without dairy or soy!  Can't answer you beyond that.... Sorry!

Earth's Best is also made in a plant that is dairy and soy free.

We do rice in the bottle for severe reflux so we started "solids" with oatmeal. DS hated it so we moved right on to veggies. We did sweet potato, squash, peas and green beans all with no problems.

He was a bit weird with carrots so we stopped that and then went to apples, pears, bananas and just yesterday he had peaches.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Highly suggest you just make your own.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• If you are concerned about ingredients in certain foods I found a great website called foodfacts.com you type in any brand you are looking for or a certain food and you can exclude certain foods that have allergens. The only one that I have found that does't have dairy or soy is Happy Baby Happy bellies organic brown rice. They sell it at Target but all of the big name (gerber beechnut) they all have some type of soy. Just because the ingredient doesn't say soy doesn't mean that it doesn't contain it.  Tocopherols Mixed (Vitamin E) is a type of soy. Good luck I hope this helps!! 
  • imageklyann:
    Highly suggest you just make your own.

I would love to do this...but I'm worried I won't be able to keep up. I'm returning to work right around the time DS will be starting food and I feel like I don't have time to do anything now as it is with just being home with LO! Once I go back to teaching I'll be bringing work home every night, planning lessons on the weekends, etc. I am still going to look into doing this though.
    Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

• All you need is a stove and pot a blender and some ice cube trays. It is really very easy and doesn't take much time at all. And some foods like bananas and avocado need no cooking or prep. Just smash and feed. Add some BM or warm water to thin if needed.
    Also, I met with our allergist this week and he said that pedis are starting to back off of rice cereal now due to the levels if arsenic found recently in rice. Even organic, although a bit better. Rice does not have to be a first food. And for us it turned out to be a nightmare first food. As DD was allergic!

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

• My mspi baby has done well on avacado, sweet potatoes and pears. Has had reactions to (diarrhea, red butt, vomitting) to squash, carrots and possibly peaches. Bad gas with banana.  I would say just go slow. We use earths best oatmeal and she does good on that. I've had a rough time so far and really there's no way to know except for trying and waiting it out. I do a mix of making my own, earths best and other organic (plum, sprout). Good luck! 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • imageklyann:
    Highly suggest you just make your own.

This is what I plan to do.  I have a friend who makes her own baby food using the baby beaba.  It is really easy to use and it steams/purees the food all in one container. She makes it in batches and freezes the food in cubes.  It is really easy to do and does not take much time. This is what I plan to do because it will be easier than reading all the labels. 

• My son is MSPI.  I made his food while I was a SAHM but since returning to work we use only SPROUT pouches or PLUM ORGANICS pouches.  We avoid peas (legume/soy) but other than that the stage one foods are typically single ingredients.  Even the combo stage 2's will not have soy and unless you are getting the ones with yogurt in them, most are fine.  Stage 3's can be tricky but the ingredients are obvious for MSPI in them.  Once he went to table foods we found many great products aside from the regular food I make for myself since I still BF.  You can spread pear or pumpkin or apple butter on Rudi's bread/toast.  He also eats Ian's brand foods and so delicious yogurt (coconut milk yogurt) or Almond milk yogurt.  It's definitely more work, but if you use the pouches its super easy.  You can even go online to sprouts website and it will tell you which pouches are for which allergies.  Hope that helps!

Lilypie - (ovfd)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"