3rd Trimester

Pregnancy & a Foregone Glass of Wine

Hi there.  I'm just doing a bit of investigating for a class I have.  Just curious how many women out there miss drinking alcoholic beverages while being pregnant?  While I completely understand that there are some things forgone during the time that little bun is in the oven, I'd like to get a vote on what drinks and libations women most miss while pregnant!  Is it a glass of wine, an ice cold beer or your favorite mixed drink you are looking forward to the most once you bring your bundle of joy into the world?Thanks a ton for your input! xo-Jenny 

Re: Pregnancy & a Foregone Glass of Wine

•  Before LO, I preferred frequent wine with meals and occasional hard spirits over beer. But the other day I found myself staring at DH's beer in the fridge. Possibly because without me drinking, it;s the only alcohol in the house available for me to lust after! I miss my wine while cooking and with meals. I've already given my post-birth plan to include wine, Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve 2006 or 2009. At first I thought I missed the social aspect of drinking wine; night out with girlfriend, happy hours and such. But I really do just miss the private glass of unwinding alone.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'll play. 

I am not a beer person, and thankfully have no desire to drink it! I do love a hard cider, but I prefer hard liquor drinks. My favorite is tequila, mostly in margaritas. ;)

When I am allowed to have my first drink (I'm going to BF so it'll be a while) I'm going to Cheddars and getting a strawberry mango margarita. SO. CAN'T. WAIT.

ETA: I don't normally drink. In fact, I usually only drink at my DH's work functions. LOL. However, I have really wanted this one drink for a long while... haha. (Skipping margaritas in the Texas summer's heat SUCKED.) 

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't decided what my first post-pregnancy drink will be exactly, but it'll probably be some sort of mixed drink. 

Funny story - I've never been a big drinker. I have almost no tolerance for alcohol and one drink makes me tipsy. I almost never have more than two. On top of that, I really don't like wine (or beer, for that matter). I prefer sweeter drinks. A while back, my DH was having a glass of red wine, and when I smelled it, I really REALLY wanted to drink it. So weird, since I normally won't touch the stuff! 

Maybe it's the result of basically stopping drinking when DH and I started to try to get PG. We had problems with IF, so it's been a looooong time since I've had a drink.  
  • I don't miss drinking per se. Every now and again I think "tonight would be a nice night for a glass of wine" but that's about it. This past summer however, I wanted a beer something fierce. I wanted one more than I ever did when I wasn't pregnant! Something about the cold, buttery taste sounded so appealing! 

I typically really like winter ales, so probably the first drink I'll have (and because I plan to BF, drinks in general will still be few and far between) will probably be an Ebenezer ale or a glass of my favorite Pinot Noir.

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wine and champagne. I really missed having a cold New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc while lunching with girl friends. And for some reason, I have been craving (which I never crave but love) Champagne!
  • I still drink some beer and wine here and there.  What I really want is a Maker's Mark Manhattan straight up.
  • I miss drinking some. Especially this summer. Last summer DH and I would sit on our deck and drink and listen to music and watch sporting events. This year it wasn't quite the same. I miss my two favorite mixed drinks the most: Whiskey Sour and Margaritas. My first drink after having the baby will probably be a flavored margarita but I have no idea when that will be.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I will have a couple drinks during the week usually. A glass of Riesling or a beer. And in college, truth be told, I was a champion drinker. But now since I obviously can't really drink, when I treat myself, I love a mimosa or good, cold beer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I still drink wine sometimes but I miss having more that one glass and I miss my vodka tonics.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I still have a small glass of wine here and there.  A family friend who is an OB has said that will do no harm.  I was so tired after DD1 was born I didn't even think about drinking for probably 6 weeks or so.  My first outing with the girls I had some kind of fruity shot and then vodka sodas- that's what I'm looking forward to!
  • WINE!!  I love white wine normally, but I actually crave red wine during pregnancy (both of them).  If DH is drinking it, I love the smell and I'll take a few small sips and just savor the taste in my mouth for as long as possible before swallowing it. I realize that probably makes me sound like an alcoholic, but I don't care. LOL

No doubt, my first drink after pregnancy/breast-feeding will be a BIG, freezing cold glass of sauvignon blanc, or three. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I miss wine so much - it really surprised me. Of course, we got pregnant right after a trip to Napa (our IUI was done the day after we got back - how's that for timing?).

I've been making my husband promise not to open any of the wine we brought back until I can drink again. 

I will say that I steal a taste from him every once in a while. Our anniversary was last week and he ordered a glass so I could have a few sips. It was lovely. Sigh...

Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I haven't really missed it all that much, but every now and then I just think, "I could really go for a glass of wine/beer."  DH and I went and cleared out our registry last night at BRU, and by the time we got home, my brain was so fried I just wanted to chill out on the couch with a beer. I settled for a sip of his, and that was really all I needed.  At Christmas I might have some wine, but honestly, the thought of it just makes me sleepy!
  • I miss a glass of wine the most, red or white.

Before I got pregnant, I probably had 3-4 glasses a week with dinner. 

• Up until recently I have not missed it at all....but I felt pretty rough for a good long while.  In the last couple of weeks I have definitely started missing a cold glass of white wine - Pinto Grigio specifically :)

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Pomegranate martini.. there's also a drink named the geisha martini at a local sushi bar that's soooo good! Speaking of sushi, that's definitely another thing I'm looking forward to!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was really sad about missing pumpkin beer season!
  • I still have a glass of wine every now and then, but I miss having more than one.
    Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I plan to have a glass of sparkling wine with my Thanksgiving dinner.  But I have surely missed Sangria!
    image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • WINE! :)

I miss having the occasional cabernet with a nice steak, or a chardonnay with my pasta.  

I'll probably get some champagne for New Years and have a glass once the girls have gone to bed. 

• When I was pregnant with DD I used to crave beer!  The smell of DH's beer was so tempting!  Once I even baked beer bread, just so I could have the taste of it.  Which is funny because I've never liked beer.

With this one no real cravings.  While DH and I were on our babymoon I did have half a glass of red wine because it sounded so good.  But as I said, it was only half because I lost a taste for it about half way through. 

• Since getting KU, I've been craving a good, dark lager & a margarita. Which is pretty funny to me, since I'm not a big drinker at all.

But I did want to throw out there for those that are BF - you can drink! Milk doesn't store alcohol, so as long as you wait a couple of hours, you're fine. If you can't feel the alcohol, you're fine to nurse or pump. 

• I go through stages of really missing drinking and then other times I don't really think about it.  But my first drink post-baby will most definitely be a big glass of red wine (probably Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon.)  Pre-pregnancy I'd have a one or two glasses of wine a night about 5 days per week so I guess I was a moderate drinker. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

TTC #2 Since October 2013. Annovulatory so not expecting much! Waited to finish breastfeeding before using Clomid again.  August 2014: Clomid round 3 (50 mg) and progesterone (100mg) - BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageRissKay:

I'll play. 

I am not a beer person, and thankfully have no desire to drink it! I do love a hard cider, but I prefer hard liquor drinks. My favorite is tequila, mostly in margaritas. ;)

When I am allowed to have my first drink (I'm going to BF so it'll be a while) I'm going to Cheddars and getting a strawberry mango margarita. SO. CAN'T. WAIT.

ETA: I don't normally drink. In fact, I usually only drink at my DH's work functions. LOL. However, I have really wanted this one drink for a long while... haha. (Skipping margaritas in the Texas summer's heat SUCKED.) 

You can drink while BFing, you just have to time it right. For example, wait to have the drink until after LO just had a feeding, then have the drink. That way the alcohol has time to wear out a little in your system before LO gets hungry again.

If you have more than one drink at a time, you can always pump and dump or use alcohol testing strips to check the level of alcohol in your BM (they sell them at cvs, walgreens, etc).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • What I miss is a glass of wine. I'm due any day now and I can't wait to be able to drink white wine. My lactation consultant told me I can drink two 4oz glasses a week. I'm really looking forward to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"