High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD and Natural Birth

This is a cross-posted item because no one in natural birth has commented and I was wondering what you ladies would have to say.

I failed my 1-hr GTT and will have to take the 3-hr test next week. Until I know for sure whether I have GD or not I want to go in with the mindset that I do and change any habits that might be unhealthy so that if it is confirmed I have already begun to make necessary changes. But I have a question....

DH and I feel very strongly about having a NB. But I know that with GD the baby will often grow much larger than a regular baby. In addition, I'm pretty small (5' on a good day) so I know that my need for having c-section will be higher. But do any of you have experience with GD and NB? I would like to deliver naturally, if possible, and was wondering what else I would need to do to prep my body for this. Thanks!

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: GD and Natural Birth

• Options

Thanks! This is good to know.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Options

I don't know personally, but someone asked this question at my initial GD education session.  The nurse said that it was definitely still possible to have a NB.  I agree with PP that if you do have GD, that tight control of your blood sugars is key.  That really is the goal for all of us, but maybe you have a little extra incentive.

Good luck with the 3 hour test.  Many people fail the 1 hour and go on to pass the 3 hour.  I did with my first pregnancy.  So, hopefully you won't have to deal with this.  But this board is here if you need it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First, GL on your 3-hour test. If you happen to fail it, I've heard it's not as big of an issue to have GD and go on to have a NB. However, my OB is trying to scare me with "the baby's growing so big" crap. I know that measurements aren't as accurate as OBs like to act, and you won't know until you get to the birthing place if you can do it or not. You would just have to keep control of your intake and aim for your range. That's the best you can do, and if you're gonna have a big baby, you can't really help it, and worrying only would make it worse, IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks! Yeah, I thought I'd get a head start early on since my numbers were so high (186) on the 1-hr and I have a lot of things that increase my chances (family history of diabetes, hispanic, older, etc).

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Options

My GD babies were 6lbs 11 oz and 6lbs. Not large by any stretch. I was induced at 39 weeks both times because I was on insulin. Some OB's won't induce early due to GD, some will only induce early if you're on meds, some will induce early meds or not. It depends on your doctor and your specific case.

If you are diagnosed with GD you need to have an open discussion with your OB about their protocol and your wishes. It's still possible you can have the birth you want, but your best bet is to be educated on every scenario, natural or otherwise, so you can make the decision that's best for your and the baby and keep an open dialogue with your doctor.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageMBush4:

This is a cross-posted item because no one in natural birth has commented and I was wondering what you ladies would have to say.

I failed my 1-hr GTT and will have to take the 3-hr test next week. Until I know for sure whether I have GD or not I want to go in with the mindset that I do and change any habits that might be unhealthy so that if it is confirmed I have already begun to make necessary changes. But I have a question....

DH and I feel very strongly about having a NB. But I know that with GD the baby will often grow much larger than a regular baby. In addition, I'm pretty small (5' on a good day) so I know that my need for having c-section will be higher. But do any of you have experience with GD and NB? I would like to deliver naturally, if possible, and was wondering what else I would need to do to prep my body for this. Thanks!

My GD baby was 7 lbs 5oz.  I delivered vaginally at 38 weeks and 3 days - went into labor on my own.  It's very possible :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Good to know. Thanks for your input. It's putting my mind at ease for sure.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Options

I had GD with both pregnancies. DS # 1 was a natural birth and weighed 10 lbs 6 oz. DS #2 was 6 lbs 2 oz and born at 35 weeks. natural

You'd be amazed at what the body is capable of. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I actually did ask this question on the Natural Birth board a couple weeks ago and got some really helpful answers.  I don't know too well how to link to things on here, but one girl gave me some great articles to read on the ACOG guidelines that were really reassuring for me.  If it's possible to search, maybe check back a couple weeks on there?

I had a fairly high number after my 1-hour, and they told me I also failed my 3-hour, but never did share those numbers with me, so I don't know if I was borderline or just without question GD...either way, I am testing 4x a day and following the diet.  So far, it is working pretty well and I had an appt last week for the first time since I've been monitoring, and they are very happy with the numbers.  They said if I can keep it that well-controlled, I should have no problems having a med-free birth.  Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm in the same boat.

I had 2 abnormal levels and 2 normal levels on the 3 hour test so I was diagnosed.  I am desperately trying to keep my sugars under control so I can have the natural birth I want.

I think if I am put on meds I will definitely be induced.  If I am not medicated, I think my doc will have a hard time letting me go past my due date without being induced but there is more leeway. 

I'm doing ok on the diet and my numbers have been normal all day, I am just working on bringing down my fasting levels.  I'm also walking 2 miles a day (trying to get up to 4, wish I had more time to walk!) which is supposed to help.

The most important thing I can tell you is to stay positive!  I have been really depressed about this and how it has changed my plan (possibly) for a natural birth and can tell you the negativity has gotten me nowhere!  Also, I have heard that the anxiety only raises your blood sugar.  Oy!

Good luck to you.  Stay in the positive! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMBush4:

I am fairly short (5'3") and worried about this too. My son was born at 38w 3d and he was almost 8 pounds. So he likely would have been over 9 pounds had he gone to 40 weeks.

Anyway, I had a totally natural birth. No pain meds. It was doable! Just do a lot of research, ask questions, and surround yourself with people who are knowledgable, confident, and compassionate. You can do it!

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Options
    I had GD with my daughter and controlled it completely through diet.  (pretty proud of that!!)  Although I didn't necessarily have a natural birth (had an epidural), it was vaginal without any problems.  I can say that a major factor of keeping such good control of my diet was the fact that I was freaked out that my daughter would be huge...and I've seen/read what they do if the baby is too large.  Didn't want anyone assisting me that way.  Had a lot of nurses standing by in the delivery room, but as my husband says, she came flying out!!  If you do end of having GD, it can be well controlled through diet, although not always easy, completely do-able.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I should also mention that my daughter was 7lb 10oz and there was no talk of inducing me.  I did have an ultrasound at about 38 weeks at my request to check her size and they said she probably wouldn't be over 8 pounds.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My first daughter was 9.8 lbs and I wasn't diagnosed with GD. With this pregnancy I have been on insulin since week 13 and "plan" to have another vaginal delivery. I'm almost certain I will be induced early, still have yet to discuss this with my OB. But all the input and comments from all of you have been very hopeful to my plan. Thank you all so much!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"