International Bumpies

Intro

DH was just offered a position in Munich, Germany today.  We've known that an overseas position might be a possibility for us for a long time.  But I didn't think it was going to coincide with our getting pregnant at the same time!  I am excited but I am SCARED and don't know where to even start at this point.  DH is estimating that we'll be moving in mid-January and I'm just into my 6th week right now. 

I have so many thoughts running through my mind!  What will we do with our house?  Our cars?  Our dogs?  I need a Dr!  Insurance?   I am terrible with languages and accents!  AAAH!

So, here I am... hoping those have been there and done that can calm my fears a bit.  And point me in some direction in HOW this is done?  I've seen a few people from Germany but anyone in/around Munich?

Thanks! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Intro

• it'll be ok!!!

there are quite a few ladies in Germany - some around Munich I think

I'm not sure if they all come on this board though - may be good to rp this on

https://pandce.****/index.cgi?board=int

too (where we relocated after the nest boards went crazy awhile ago)

• Thanks for the heads up!  I'll go check it out.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome! I am an American living in Scotland with my American DH and our 11 month old DD. Congrats on the move and your pregnancy :)

As far as your move goes, does DH's company provide any support/info on the relocation? Ours helped us with some of the logistics regarding what to do with the house and cars. How long will your DH's assignment in Germany last?

We moved our dog out to the UK and went through a pet relocation company.  I am not sure about the laws in Germany, but in the UK now it is a lot easier to bring a pet from the US in. (no quarantine period).

There are a lot of women on here and the other board who live in Germany who can offer you great advice.

Another thing I might add is I recently joined an expat group of American women living in my area that has helped me enormously.  I would look into something like that in Munich. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• @ccip82-  Yes, I suspect that DH's company will give us some guidance.  We're just now beginning to get some information from them as the offer just came yesterday.  DH suspects a mid-January move until March 2014.  He'll actually be replacing someone going on maternity leave.

I will definitely look into an expat group!  Thanks! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageparadebegone:

DH was just offered a position in Munich, Germany today.  We've known that an overseas position might be a possibility for us for a long time.  But I didn't think it was going to coincide with our getting pregnant at the same time!  I am excited but I am SCARED and don't know where to even start at this point.  DH is estimating that we'll be moving in mid-January and I'm just into my 6th week right now. 

I have so many thoughts running through my mind!  What will we do with our house?  Our cars?  Our dogs?  I need a Dr!  Insurance?   I am terrible with languages and accents!  AAAH!

So, here I am... hoping those have been there and done that can calm my fears a bit.  And point me in some direction in HOW this is done?  I've seen a few people from Germany but anyone in/around Munich?

Thanks! 

I got married to a Frenchman and live in a small town outside of Paris. I basically love it here! You will be too.

I am TTC at age 44. Gyneco says my body is OK to have a baby, so fingers crossed. 

• Hi and welcome! We actually almost moved to Munich a couple years ago, it's a beautiful city and there's a large expat community there. If you're moving with a company you should get a lot of help,sorting out all the details. Would this be your first international move?

congrats on your pregnancy! 

Oh... And DH and I are Americans in Edinburgh, Scotland and are also expecting our first. 

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • imagePittPurple:

Hi and welcome! We actually almost moved to Munich a couple years ago, it's a beautiful city and there's a large expat community there. If you're moving with a company you should get a lot of help,sorting out all the details. Would this be your first international move?

congrats on your pregnancy! 

Oh... And DH and I are Americans in Edinburgh, Scotland and are also expecting our first. 

Yes, this is my first international move.  DH moved a bit internationally as a kid.  Not that he remembers much of it.  :)  Both of our families are immigrants to the US and we've both traveled quite a bit internationally so I'm hoping that will help with the transition.  I'm excited to be able to explore Europe more!  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"