November 2012 Moms
Options

wake baby or let her sleep?

When is it ok to let baby sleep without waking her for feedings? Last night she slept for two 6 hour sections of time. She is 2 weeks old and has gotten back to her birth weight should I still be waking her up every 4 hours or let her sleep. She eats about every 2 hours during the day  so she is getting about 8 feedings in a 24hr period.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: wake baby or let her sleep?

• Options
    It sounds like she's gaining well and that you're doing a good job of tanking her up during the day. You should probably ask your pedi, but I personally would lean toward not waking her at night to feed in that situation. But then again, I value my sleep above pretty much all else right now (possibly including my child's basic needs. I kid. sort of.).
  • Options
    My pedi said once they get back to/exceed their birth weight, they give the okay to sleep for extended stretches. With the understanding that not every sleep stretch should be extended and you're still getting plenty of wet/Poopy diapers.

Sounds like you are doing fine, but ask your pedi if it'll make you feel better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO is back to birth weight, so our pedi said we don't have to, but check with yours, of course. :
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Options
    I tend to agree with everyone else. 6 hrs seems long but as long as she's gaining weight I'd let her sleep.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd let her sleep..she is getting plenty of food during the day..
    Mommy of 3! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd let her sleep.. I nursed my first baby and I'm nursing this one and I never woke for feedings. My newborn eats every 2-3 hours during the day and I feed one more time before I go to bed and he'll sleep for up to 5 hours at night.
  • Options
    Honestly, I've never woken a sleeping baby...
    Sure, I've woken my "babies" from naps if we had to go somewhere, but I believe in letting sleeping babies sleep.

I do realize that there are some babies who need to be woken up, that's just never been my experience. My son was born 8 pounds, 3 oz and by 1 week he was 8 pounds 13 ounces... he lost weight then gained it all back plus 10 oz in one week! My daughter, similar gain though I don't remember the specifics. So it's not something I've ever worried about...
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. She had a check up today and her doctor said let her sleep since her weight is good and she is a "expressive baby" (aka she cries when she wants something).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"