2nd Trimester

Too much weight gained?

I'm currently 21 weeks 4 days and I've gained 14 lbs. so far. Seeing a few posts talking about weight gain has made me wonder whether I'm gaining too much. I eat a really healthy diet and try to limit sweets/junk. Some days I will indulge, but even then not a lot. I could do better with exercising though. My midwife hasn't said anything about my weight gain. According to her, the baby and I are in excellent health.

Before I got pregnant, I didn't eat a lot. Perhaps a tiny lunch and dinner, and I exercised like crazy. Now I watch what I eat and make sure I eat lots of small meals throughout the day. So I know I have increased my calorie intake by quite a bit. I know before I would barely get 900 cals a day. Whereas I'm getting at least 1500-1600 daily.  

With all that being said, should I worry about the weight gain? 

BabyFetus Ticker image Anniversary FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family

Re: Too much weight gained?

• nope.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I would not worry if I were you unless and until your midwife says something. I am 24 weeks and have gained about 17 lbs. I am trying not to gain too much but I think some of it is out of our control. With my first I gained about 50lbs total. I was hoping not to repeat that, but it looks like I might.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry about it unless your OB says something to you about it.  Also try to remember that everyone is different and will gain differently during pregnancy.

For instance, I started out this pregnancy slightly overweight and am only supposed to gain 15 lb the whole time, so if I were to have gained as much as you have my OB would probably have already warned me to cool my jets.  However, to date, I've actually maintained my weight at 2 lb below my starting weight.  I'm nearing 17 weeks, and my OB is unconcerned because baby is growing on schedule.  I'm just not as fat, lol.

// I love you too. //

• I am 21 weeks and have gained 20 lbs.  Not worried.
  • Don't worry about it.  Your body will do what it wants.  With my last pregnancy I gained 50 lbs and so far with this one I've gained 20.  I ate more than usual but not an insane amount.  I had a healthy first pregnancy and and am on my way to a healthy second one so I'm not worried about. 

image image
  • I am 21 weeks and have gained 20 lbs.  Not worried.  Also, I think you are possibly eating too few calories.  Actually, I know you are.  Your body will hang onto everything you eat if you are not eating enough.  1500 calories is what I eat when I am "dieting".
  • I think people put too much concern into pounds, as they do to women normally.

If doc/midwife says all is well, then all is well. If you know you are eating right, getting some exercise in when you can, then you shouldn't worry.

I've learned people will always have something to say, either too much or too little, no one is happy and everyone is a judge!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I say don't worry!  My doctor said after 20 weeks it's much harder to control what you gain.  Sounds like you are doing great so far Smile
  • imagetmsgrl:
    I am 21 weeks and have gained 20 lbs.nbsp; Not worried.nbsp; Also, I think you are possibly eating too few calories.nbsp; Actually, I know you are.nbsp; Your body will hang onto everything you eat if you are not eating enough.nbsp; 1500 calories is what I eat when I am "dieting".

That's the amount I eat when dieting too. I would guess you're gaining more weight because you were practically starving yourself before. I've gained around 10 lbs at 20 weeks, but in the past I was up around 20 lbs at this same point. If you're underweight to start out, you're expected to gain more.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageAngela814:
    imagetmsgrl:
    I am 21 weeks and have gained 20 lbs.nbsp; Not worried.nbsp; Also, I think you are possibly eating too few calories.nbsp; Actually, I know you are.nbsp; Your body will hang onto everything you eat if you are not eating enough.nbsp; 1500 calories is what I eat when I am "dieting".
    That's the amount I eat when dieting too. I would guess you're gaining more weight because you were practically starving yourself before. I've gained around 10 lbs at 20 weeks, but in the past I was up around 20 lbs at this same point. If you're underweight to start out, you're expected to gain more.

I didn't even think about not getting enough calories now. And before, I was working full time, going to school, and planning a wedding. Meals seemed to be the thing I cut out.

Thanks for all the answers!  

• 900 calories is very little.  I'm not surprised that now that you are eating a normal range, you put on the weight your body needs.  If you start out underweight, you should gain 25-35 lbs.  Were you underweight when you got pregnant?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSpacebunny19:
    900 calories is very little.  I'm not surprised that now that you are eating a normal range, you put on the weight your body needs.  If you start out underweight, you should gain 25-35 lbs.  Were you underweight when you got pregnant?

If you start out a normal weight, you should gain 25-35 lbs.

I've always read that if you start out underweight, you should gain 35+lbs.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • The word in the medical field (for the average patient, not including special circumstances) is that women should gain 20-25 pounds during their pregnancy, anything more is theirs to keep afterwards. So expect 20-25 pounds to drop after the swelling goes down following birth... If you're eating healthy, I wouldn't stress it too much.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Don't worry now, but do pay attention. I didn't think about weight at all during my 1st pregnancy, especially at the end, and now I'm on my 2nd pregnancy and stressing because I started overweight. I was slim and nowhere near overweight before my first pregnancy. Don't stress, but it's good to check in and not splurge TOO much.
    Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• I started my first pregnancy 12 lbs heavier than this one, and by the end gained 50 lbs.  I was eating like a darn pig, and it took a loooooooooooooong time to lose the weight after I gave birth.

So far with this one, I have gained 14 lbs.  I printed out a weight gain chart from the web (can't remember which site), but according to it, I am right on track, and my OB hasn't said a word about my weight, so I am not concerned.

Unfortunately, the mmternity clothes I got with my first one are all size large, so most of them are too big for me now.  Thank goodness for belly bands.

Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMT-Head:

I started my first pregnancy 12 lbs heavier than this one, and by the end gained 50 lbs.  I was eating like a darn pig, and it took a loooooooooooooong time to lose the weight after I gave birth.

So far with this one, I have gained 14 lbs.  I printed out a weight gain chart from the web (can't remember which site), but according to it, I am right on track, and my OB hasn't said a word about my weight, so I am not concerned.

Unfortunately, the mmternity clothes I got with my first one are all size large, so most of them are too big for me now.  Thank goodness for belly bands.

This is exactly me! Except I gained closer to 70 lbs with my first. I'm up about 13 lbs right now and NONE of my maternity clothes from my first fit me b/c they are all too big. Although, I'm not complaining and I'm really excited for "only" gaining 13 lbs so far to tell the truth!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would be thrilled beyond thrilled if I had only gained 14 pounds by 21 weeks, lol!

When I was pg with my first, I gained 70 lbs, total.  I had pre-eclampsia, so a lot of it disappeared right after she was born, but.... You are TOTALLY within the range of normal! While my gain has been much more normal this time around, I've still gained more than that.  I just try to remind myself that the gain is for a good cause Smile

Keep up the nutrition for your baby and enjoy the "fluff"!

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Nope.  Dont worry about it.  If your MW is fine with it, you should be too.  My first pregnancy I gained 50lbs (and was a healthy weight to begin with) and I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within 6 months.  So anything over 25lbs is not necessarily "yours to keep after the baby" as a PP said.  As long as you are eating healthy, your body is going to do what it's going to do.  Dont stress over it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSpacebunny19:
    900 calories is very little.  I'm not surprised that now that you are eating a normal range, you put on the weight your body needs.  If you start out underweight, you should gain 25-35 lbs.  Were you underweight when you got pregnant?

I was at a normal weight, though to look at me you would never guess that I was 140. I'm 5'8 and could easily fit into a size 4. 

• imagedrewiekc:
    Nope.  Dont worry about it.  If your MW is fine with it, you should be too.  My first pregnancy I gained 50lbs (and was a healthy weight to begin with) and I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight within 6 months.  So anything over 25lbs is not necessarily "yours to keep after the baby" as a PP said.  As long as you are eating healthy, your body is going to do what it's going to do.  Dont stress over it.

Thanks! I seem to be the only one worried about it. My MW is fine and my DH is excited over my new body. So I guess I really don't have anything to stress over. lol 

• If you were eating 900 calories a day before you were pregnant, you were NOT eating enough. Your weight then was probably not your body's "comfortable"/"natural" weight. Now that you are eating a normal amount, it's normal to gain weight. As long as you weren't overweight to begin with, I think you're fine. Honestly, I aim for 2000 calories a day and I have gained less weight than that. I think you were just eating WAY too little before.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"