May 2013 Moms

MaterniT21 & Gender

I just found out the gender from my MaterniT21 results.  I thought it just checks for Trisomy 21 and 18 and when the Dr asked if I wanted to know the sex I was surprised.  It can tell you whether or not there is a Y chromosome present. In my case it didn't so I am having another girl. Its 99% accurate so of course there is a chance its incorrect. Am I the only one who didn't know this? As anyone else had the MaterniT21 tests?

Now I just have to get over the shock of having another girl! 

Re: MaterniT21 & Gender

• I took the MaterniT21 test, too. I am also having a baby girl. With 99%+ accuracy, the chances of it being wrong are really not worth mentioning.

Congrats on your baby girl! Big Smile

• I heard they can tell in about 50% of samples.  We are team green so I hope they ask before spilling the beans!

I am on day 9 of waiting for my results - how long was it it until you got yours? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • "I heard they can tell in about 50% of samples.  We are team green so I hope they ask before spilling the beans!"

----

That's not what they told me. When they took my blood, they said they would be determining the gender with the other results and asked if I would want to know. You should be sure to tell them you do not want to know.

However, they do take two vials of blood in case there is not enough of the baby's DNA in the first one for the test. But once they get that DNA and replicate the chromosomes, they are going to be able to determine gender, too. Perhaps the two vials needed is what that 50% was referring to.

Also, my results took 8 days, but I saw that it took someone on another board 14 days.

• imagejteneback:

I heard they can tell in about 50% of samples.  We are team green so I hope they ask before spilling the beans!

I am on day 9 of waiting for my results - how long was it it until you got yours? 

I got my results back in a week.

• imageMotherMayEye:

"I heard they can tell in about 50% of samples.  We are team green so I hope they ask before spilling the beans!"

----

That's not what they told me. When they took my blood, they said they would be determining the gender with the other results and asked if I would want to know. You should be sure to tell them you do not want to know.

However, they do take two vials of blood in case there is not enough of the baby's DNA in the first one for the test. But once they get that DNA and replicate the chromosomes, they are going to be able to determine gender, too.

Looks like they started routinely offering gender just this August, so my info is old :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats!! I was told mine would take 23 days for results, but this pregnancy started as a twin pregnancy so I only qualified for an older test unless this one came back with less than steller results. Then in.surance will cover the other bloodwork, I wonder if mine tells me the gender too...

Edit: 2 to 3 days not 23
    3 *GIRLS* UNDER 3!! BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ah yes, the gender portion is very new. GL with your results! Much respect on being team green, too! I wish I had your patience!
  • Just because I'm curious, how long did it take to get your results? I'm waiting impatiently ;
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • And yay for sisters! Mine truly is my best friend.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
  • Duh i just saw that you already answered my question. Sorry!
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
  • imagejerseygirl81:
    And yay for sisters! Mine truly is my best friend.

Mine, too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"