3rd Trimester

When is there too little movement?

I do my kick counts.  And now that I'm 36 weeks, LO is running out of room so the kicks are more pushes and rolls.  Most of the time I move around so much during the day (I'm a teacher.) that I barely feel baby.  So the moment I sit down to drive home there's a flurry of activity.  Today though, she's barely moved at all.  I'm working on a kick count right now, but it's taking a long time.

Is there a point where movement slows down so much that I need to be concerned and call my OB?

Re: When is there too little movement?

• If you aren't getting 10 in an hour I always say call. They will advise you. I met a woman yesterday who almost lost her baby due to low fluid and was only checked out because of lack of movement. I also met a woman a few weeks ago who lost her baby at 39 weeks and it could have been prevented it she had done her kick counts and gone in due to lack of movement.
  • I was just at my ob today and she said if there is no movement for 1 hour or less than 10 movements in 2 hours then to call. 10 an hour is excessive. Concentrate on feeling every roll, punch and kick. Try to drink something very cold and lay down. Dont panic yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I would chug a juice box and lay down for a bit. If that doesn't get LO moving go ahead and call.
  • I agree with pp on the 10 an hour minimum. Drink an ice cold glass of water and put your feet up... that usually does the trick. GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not stressing yet.  It's something MH just asked about and I realized she hadn't moved on her normal schedule today.  And this evening is still very quiet, occasional moves but no dance party in there.  I have an appointment Thursday but didn't know if I should call before then.
  • I also disagree with 10 an HOUR. I was told 8 movements in 2 hours to call. 10 an hour at this stage is very excessive.

Drink something cold or sweet and lay down and count all movements. If youre very concerned always call your OB. Thats what they are there for.

My baby has quieter days, but theres also movement I dont pay attention to because its not huge kicks punches or rolls. Then the next day I get the crap kicked out of me. Theres not a lot of room left in there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageStillharbor:
    Not stressing yet.  It's something MH just asked about and I realized she hadn't moved on her normal schedule today.  And this evening is still very quiet, occasional moves but no dance party in there.  I have an appointment Thursday but didn't know if I should call before then.

I would give them a call, Thursday is way too long to wait.  

Don't get me wrong a baby can have a quiet day, like any of us, but it's better to make sure everything is OK. 

• Meh, I say if you don't feel anything for hours, then call, at least at this point. lol. But, I have a baby who likes to be REALLY active some days, and hardly move others, and that just seems to be how he works. 

I agree that 10 an hour is excessive. 

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Mine said 10 in 4 hours
  • Make sure your drinking enough water. I would drink lots of water. Sometimes the baby gets less active because we are dehydrated. But yes, If you dont feel any movement after you drink your water then definitely call.
  • 10 an hour is not accurate at this point in pregnancy.  It's 5 per hour or 10 in 2 hours.  And like other posters have said, you count every movement, including the ones that feel like small brushes against you.

If you're concerned, just call.  I'd rather go in for an ultrasound and find everything is ok than wait and have it not be.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• my dr said if I'm concerned, lie on my left side in the dark and I should feel 3 movements in 20 mins. If that doesn't happen, have something sweet (oj usually works for me) lie down and wait 20 mins again. If I still don't feel anything he said to come straight to the hospital. I just got home from there now for this reason. I ended up having an ultrasound and seeing that everything looks perfect, but better to be overcautious in my opinion!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"