March 2013 Moms

For those of you cooking TG dinner this year.......

I am cooking dinner for just my kiddo's and I. DH is gone with the Navy and doesn't come home until December 9th. I still want to make it special for them, but wasn't going to make much. My menu consists of Turkey, stuffing, mash potatoes, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce. Of course we will have fresh rolls and egg nog as well. Anybody else have a menu planned yet? I know mine is lame this year, but pregnant and taking care of 3 kiddo's, I can't do much bc I am too busy breaking up fights.

Re: For those of you cooking TG dinner this year.......

• TG dinner should be just what you're making! If you try to fancy it up too much, it wouldn't be the traditional yummy dinner : I do pretty much the same, just with a sweet potato casserole added.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine is going to be pretty similar to yours since we won't be home until later in the afternoon we are going to the thanksgiving day parade and I won't have time for such a huge feast. I made a pre thanksgiving day feast on Friday night to thank hubby for sheltering a friend and her daughter here all of last week when they had no power. I made turkey, gravy mashed potatoes, corn and apple pie. Hubby was in his glory.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBliss+Berry:

I'm sorry your hubby can't be home.  That stinks.  Mine works part of the day so my Mother and MIL are coming over to help me cook.  

I think your menu sounds fine.  You are going to have your hands full.  How old are your shortstacks?  Maybe an activity to keep them from killing each other while you cook that also helps them learn about the meaning of the day?  There are tons of turkey day crafts for kids of all ages on Pinterest.   

Oliver is 9, Simone is 4, and Francesca is 7 months. I looked online and found a lot of crafty things. Thanks for the idea! 

• We are doing a late Thanksgiving this year, because my police officer husband has to work on Thanksgiving night. I'm still doing the full monty with turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes, but it might just be the two of us. We're planning to celebrate on Saturday night instead of Thursday, and I'm going to DVR the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade for the full effect!
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Turkey (Brined and roasted with aromatics a la Alton Brown)

Mashed Potatoes

Giblet Gravy (My mother's badass recipe that will clog all your arteries but make you so happy)

Stuffing (we don't bother with homemade since the storebought always seems to turn out better!)

Sweet Potato Casserole (another gem from my mother, no marshmallows need apply)

Green Bean Casserole (with extra french fried onions)

Cranberry if somebody wants it, I guess ;)

Celery Bread (sounds gross, but it's actually amazing: fresh white bread smothered with a butter/celery seed/salt/pepper/paprika mix and baked so that it soaks in) 

Whatever our guests bring (a ham, it sounds like, and probably some brussel sprouts) 

Desserts of every kind!

"Can I call your baby 'Ze Munchkin,' or 'ZM' for short?" - my best friend
  • you should get your kids involved with the cooking!!! I am having my 3 year old help me this year it's gonna be sooo fun!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"