November 2012 Moms

Nervous about first internal

Today I have my first internal exam.  I am completely freaked out over it.  Its been months since anything has been up there (DH is terrified of sex at the moment).  I'm just scared its going to hurt like a S.O.B.  I know I should get used to it, because giving birth will be no walk in the park. I know everyone and their brothers uncle will be up in my hoo when I am in labor, but I am still terrified.

Good news is, I am also getting an ultrasound, because they think I am carrying Gigantor, so at least I will get to see the little guy.  But, it is not taking my fears away.  Someone please tell me I won't be cramping like crazy for the rest of the day.  Or tell me they won't decide to keep me there, and induce (yes, I know that is totally my choice, but I don't want to have a huge baby, and end up with a c-section.  Judge me/ flame me all you want for that one, I know induction is not well received on these boards).  Someone peel me from the ceiling please!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nervous about first internal

• imageredwood807:
    Ain't gonna lie, it won't probably won't be comfy, especially if this is your first. You'll be ok though. You are woman!

LOL, and now I have "I am woman hear me ROAR" stuck in my head! :) 

• imageredwood807:
    imageEaky77:

imageredwood807:
    Ain't gonna lie, it won't probably won't be comfy, especially if this is your first. You'll be ok though. You are woman!

LOL, and now I have "I am woman hear me ROAR" stuck in my head! :) 

Good. Now sing that to yourself as you're getting your exam.

Better yet, RAWWWWR while getting your internal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I just had one - and it was totally fine.  I do remember it hurting something awful during labor - but all the checks I've had pre-labor haven't bothered me at all.

Good luck!

• I'll practice my RAWWWR the whole way there.  My husband may think I'm crazy, but that's really nothing new.  

Wonder if I can get sympathy from DH after... maybe he'll treat me to dinner and starbucks! HA! 

• The internal exams I've had so far have been uncomfortable but not painful and I haven't felt differently because of them (cramping, spotting etc.)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good luck!  Let us know how it goes (and what they do/how long it takes?)  I might have my first internal tomorrow and am wondering what to expect.  They're telling me it's optional for tomorrow...so I don't know if I should do it?  I'm 38.5 weeks.

It seems like it would be good to have "information" on what's going on in there??  But no need for unnecessary pain at the same time...

Me:36, DH:37

DS born 11/2012

BFP 7/26/14, Missed M/C at 8 weeks, discovered at 10 wks, 6 days, D&C 9/22/14, Dx: Partial molar pregnancy

• Like PP, I'm not gonna lie either, it may hurt. It's not exactly a walk in the park... you may experience spotting as well and minor cramps. You'll be okay though, it lasts only a few seconds! Good luck. 
    Isabella Sophia Tudorica - November 24, 2012
  • I requested an internal last week (my midwife doesn't do them routinely) because my husband went hunting for the weekend, and he wan't our midwife's blessing to go have fun.  Anyway, it was my first internal and I'm a FTM.  Honestly, it didn't bother me a bit.  I think pap smears are far more uncomfortable.  I didn't have any discharge or cramping.  It felt like she was feeling around, that's it.  I don't know what the big deal about them is!
  • imageSprite2012:
    I requested an internal last week (my midwife doesn't do them routinely) because my husband went hunting for the weekend, and he wan't our midwife's blessing to go have fun.  Anyway, it was my first internal and I'm a FTM.  Honestly, it didn't bother me a bit.  I think pap smears are far more uncomfortable.  I didn't have any discharge or cramping.  It felt like she was feeling around, that's it.  I don't know what the big deal about them is!

this - excluding hunting hubby 

• Mine aren't bad at all!! It's truly just uncomfortable because someone's in your hoohaw, but it doesn't hurt! The only time I felt a little pain was when my cervix was tilted back a bit so the doc had a hard time reaching it, but every other time has just felt like strong pressure (like when you have a regular gyn appt. and they use a speculum to take a sample, without the pinch). And I've never had cramping or anything after, so don't worry about that either!

You and baby Gigantor will be fine, I promise! And I'm sure he's not actually that big- my baby has been measuring 8 pounds but in the sono today we discovered he's only 6lb, 7oz! So, I'm sure it will all be dandy!!

IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first internal i had minor spotting for a couple hours, but this last internal... nothing. They are uncomfortable but i havent experienced any pain. A little bit of cramping and contractions after but those have been normal for me lately.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers       AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imagesnmcfarlin:

Mine aren't bad at all!! It's truly just uncomfortable because someone's in your hoohaw, but it doesn't hurt! The only time I felt a little pain was when my cervix was tilted back a bit so the doc had a hard time reaching it, but every other time has just felt like strong pressure (like when you have a regular gyn appt. and they use a speculum to take a sample, without the pinch). And I've never had cramping or anything after, so don't worry about that either!

You and baby Gigantor will be fine, I promise! And I'm sure he's not actually that big- my baby has been measuring 8 pounds but in the sono today we discovered he's only 6lb, 7oz! So, I'm sure it will all be dandy!!

All of this has been my experience. It's uncomfortable, but really not a big deal. The doc asked if I wanted one yesterday (she left it up to me since she didn't feel I absolutely needed one) but I told her yes just to see if I made progress (and I did! yay!). So to me, they aren't terrible to where I turn them down. Plus like a PP said, my doc is cool and knows she is being "annoying" as she puts it, so she is as gentle as she can be when down there. Good luck! You'll be absolutely fine!! :)

• I had my first last week. It wasn't awful. It didn't feel good, but it didn't hurt that bad. It was kinda uncomfortable. 

With regard to an induction or a c section, have a discussion with your doctor about it. If your baby really is large, and your doctor has legitimate concerns about your ability to get LO out safely, talk about your options. Know that it's possible that whatever measurement they give you today is off by a bit, and discuss the pros and cons of different options with your doctor. In the end, the person who needs to feel good about things is you. Make sure that your doctor knows what you want and what's important to you.

Relax! You'll be fine :) 

• Thank you ladies!  I am off to pick up DH.  Like I said, I am super excited to see Gigantor, since I haven't had an u/s since my 20 week a/s.  That's the only thing keeping me somewhat calm!

I'll keep you updated! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"