Baby Names

How do you feel about creative name spelling?

We are naming our little guy Jaxson. Daddy picked it out but i really don't care for the shortened name Jack. So, I got creative and decided to remove "ck" and throw in an "x" now people can call him Jaxs.

UPDATE: 24 hours later.... You guys are brutal.  I don't mind criticism. I was honestly curious what people thought. I like the suggestion to leave off the "s", I hadn't really considered it previously. I am shocked by how mean some of your comments were. I hope some of you teach your children a little more respect than you showed me. Huh?

Re: How do you feel about creative name spelling?

• Would I choose a creative spelling personally?  No, I would not. 

But, I am not mortally offended when people do.

FWIW, you could simply use Jax to get the pronunciation you are looking for.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• That. Is. Awful.

If you hate Jack, then go with Jaxon. It's slightly less objectionable.

• Loading the player...
  • **runs to grab popcorn**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Is this MUD? It's not creative at this point, a lot of people a butchering this name the same way. And you realize you only need the 'x' or the 's', right?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you're not going to spell it with the traditional spelling, I would go with Jaxon. No 's'. However, I think you can still use the nn "Jax" with the original spelling.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's not all that creative any more. Plus, the s at the end of Jaxs is superfluous, which I find annoying.
  • Jaxson is bad. Jaxon is ok.
  • I don't like creative spellings.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Since you asked, I don't care for creative spellings. A name is a word like any other, and should be spelled correctly. A name isn't a text message that you should shorten to cute it up.

I think you can still have the nn Jax while still spelling the name Jackson.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Against it.

If you want to be creative, get a creative/unusual name.

Give a kid a YOUNEEK spelling, you look like YOU can't spell, and your kid goes through life with his/her  name misspelled. 

My DH has a Connor in his class spelled "Konner."  It's always misspelled and he's going to be stuck with that forever.

Just don't do it.

NN's are great.  So call him Jax, but still SPELL the real name Jackson.  You can shorten it to Jax either way. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How would you even say "Jaxs"?  The letter x already has an s sound in it.

I agree with PPs that you can use the NN Jax without an unnecessarily weird spelling.

(Or maybe this is MUD.  Holidays are slow.)

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I don't care for creative spellings. You don't want to find yourself in the same category as the woman who named her daughter "La-a," pronounced Ladasha.

I agree that Jax is better than Jaxs. I don't see the point of adding that "s." Honestly, I have to say I love the name Jack, though -- but then, it isn't my LO.

• Oh for sure the world needs another creatively spelled Jackson variant. Promise.

/>sarcasam

• Your creative name spelling is not creative.  There were 2,942 Jaxsons born in 2011. 
  • That spelling is horrid. Wow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamparker1984:

We are naming our little guy Jaxson. Daddy picked it out but i really don't care for the shortened name Jack. So, I got creative and decided to remove "ck" and throw in an "x" now people can call him Jaxs.

you can still spell it correctly and still call him Jax (Jacks?) as a nn.  The creative spelling is not good at all......

Augustus David - Born 5/08/13

my read shelf:
    April's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I agree with everyone who says you can spell it the regular way and still call him Jax. But I do want to add a thought... Have you thought of the name Jason? The reason I ask is because it seems as though you are trying to call your some Jax instead of Jack because it might be a little bit more unique. Jason is a little less popular that Jackson (of any spelling), and the nickname Jase (or Jace) is equally as uncommon as Jax. Just something else to consider.
    griffin
  • imageBlindysWife:

Since you asked, I don't care for creative spellings. A name is a word like any other, and should be spelled correctly. A name isn't a text message that you should shorten to cute it up.

I think you can still have the nn Jax while still spelling the name Jackson.  

I agree with this completely, as with what many PP's said.

First off, if you can't spell to begin with (ehm xs?? wtf) than you should probably stick with a name straight of a baby name book and leave well enough alone. 

But yes, a nn is a nn... you can make it whatever you want and I wouldn't be offended in the least if a little boy was named Jackson but called Jax. For god sake there's a kid named Johnson and goes by Jaws lol he's a cutie on my youngest brother's hockey team. 

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• imagecapulet:

How would you even say "Jaxs"?  The letter x already has an s sound in it.

Jacksis. Like Axis. He'd be the Jacksis of evil.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • It is not very creative, there are tons of Jaxsons out there who go by Jaxs.
  • Creative spelling is nms.
  • I hate alternate spellings. You can still call him Jacks/Jax since Jackson has Jacks in it. The spelling doesn't change that.
  • My nephew is Jaxon for the same reason (ability to use other nn). I dislike the name and especially dislike this spelling. No offense.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSpacebunny19:

Give a kid a YOUNEEK spelling, you look like YOU can't spell, and your kid goes through life with his/her  name misspelled. 

Hit the nail on the head. I work for a school photography company, so I see ALL SORTS names every single day. It's absolutely atrocious some of the weird names and screwed up "unique" spellings of normal names that I come across. And never have I ever thought, "oh, look, that's fun" but ALWAYS, "what on Earth was the PARENT thinking when they thought THAT was a good idea!?" It's going to give your sweet little one a hard time for the rest of his or her life, and it's not something they had any control over. It really does make the parent look bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"